Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2015 10:00:20 AM EDT
Took my VZ2008 out to the range for the first time yesterday. Bought it from the EE NIB. In any case I took it out with an SKS and an AK just to compare. Shot all three at 25, 50 and 100 yards.

First things first:

What a pleasant rifle the VZ is to shoot. Even with the folding stock the felt recoil didn't feel too bad and the rifle handles well. Now onto the issues. I am by no means an expert marksman with ironsights but even so I was having very erratic accuracy issues with the vz. It would seem like three shots would go where I was aiming and then fourth or fifth would go 6 feet off to the left or high left. You read that right feet not inches.

I am bench shooting, not jerking the trigger and we even put three different shooters on the rifle to check all with the same results. The rifle breaks down fine and the bore looks good. There does not appear to be any sight cant or wobble so I am out of ideas.

Can any one offer any insight?

For we had no such issues with the sks and ak so again I do not think it was shooter related.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 10:31:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't sound good.  Try removing the muzzle brake and shoot again.  Hopefully that clears it up.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hilljack:
Doesn't sound good.  Try removing the muzzle brake and shoot again.  Hopefully that clears it up.
View Quote

I'll try that. Crown looks decent enough though. Will keep trying and report back with my findings.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#3]
If your rifle has an AK slant cut muzzle nut, take it off and buy a VZ muzzle brake.

On top is the AK slant cut muzzle nut.
On bottom is the VZ muzzle brake.

Also, were you using the same ammo in all three rifles? That could make a huge difference from my experience.
Is there any damage to the crown of the barrel? Check that.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By JestersRevenge:
If your rifle has an AK slant cut muzzle nut, take it off and buy a VZ muzzle brake.

On top is the AK slant cut muzzle nut.
On bottom is the VZ muzzle brake.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/f8/1c/1f/f81c1f3b3de72165f989b5aeafbaa025.jpg

Also, were you using the same ammo in all three rifles? That could make a huge difference from my experience.
Is there any damage to the crown of the barrel? Check that.
View Quote

Checked the crown it seems fine. It is using a slant brake but i'll try it without it on. I shot both red army standard and tula out of all three rifles. It's not match grade stuff but it's all i had to hand. I didn't mix or match any of the ammo. Results were the same with both types of ammo. Very puzzling. I won't be on the range this weekend but i'll post back in a couple of weeks and see if can figure it out
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Aeneas2020:
Checked the crown it seems fine. It is using a slant brake but i'll try it without it on. I shot both red army standard and tula out of all three rifles. It's not match grade stuff but it's all i had to hand. I didn't mix or match any of the ammo. Results were the same with both types of ammo. Very puzzling. I won't be on the range this weekend but i'll post back in a couple of weeks and see if can figure it out
View Quote

Ammo wise, if you can get some Golden Tiger, Brown Bear or Wolf all made in Russia, try some of that. Golden Tiger is pretty accurate in my experience and is all I use. I bought some 9mm sold by Wolf made in the Ukraine, it shot horrible, all over the place just like you're describing. I tried some Federal and got tight groupings every time!
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top