Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/5/2015 8:08:20 PM EDT
I got a VZ 2008 I am really enjoying but I wanted to keep this a cheap project so to pad the stock I cut some of the sides out of foam pipe insulation, tapered it on the ends, and wrapped it with power flex horse leg wrap. The total cost was $3 ($1 for 10' of pipe foam and $1.50 for a roll of power flex at the tractor store). It feels great, is functional an I could redo this project like 8 more times with the leftover material. Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:18:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nicely done!
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:05:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup, a lot of people do that. I personally have never found the need. But I can understand why some find it necessary.

One thing that may make the gun more comfortable to shoot is if you get rid of that slant brake that the gun came with. And either use no muzzle device or put on a brake the gun that was designed for the 58. The slant brake was designed for the AK-47. That gun and the 58 have different recoil impulses.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:07:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I ended up leaving the slant brake on my rifle because my shooting range has benches only about 3.5 feet apart and they are covered by an overhang that slopes back towards the shooter. When I put on the brake that I bought from CNC Warrior, the concussion is incredible if you are standing off to the side. When you are standing 10 feet away and off to the side of the shooter, you can feel every contour of your facial bones and teeth. However, it is nice to use if there is nobody else on that range and does make the rifle easier to control.

I use my rifle for home defense and since that is my purpose for it, everything I do to it I look at through the prism of usefulness in the case of a home invasion. I chose not to use the brake on my rifle because in a hallway the concussion would damage me almost as much as it would the person who chose to break in. However, the slant brake lets the concussion go more forward and out than forcing it up and directly out the sides. So, just make sure you consider your purpose for the rifle before choosing to change the muzzle device.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:54:35 AM EDT
[#4]
First, I like the OPs stock pad solution. I run optics mounted higher than the irons so I don't have a problem with a chin weld on the bare folder.

And agree the stock slant brake makes it worse, I've run mine with no brake and it's better IMHO. I re-indexed mine so the slant is at the bottom, seems to work better than nothing and much better than original.

I've had an 'aggressive' comp on an an AR, although it was effective it wasn't worth the hassle of venting to the side at crowded ranges, and was brutal at indoor ranges. Just didn't work with the places I shoot. Only comp I currently run is tuneable and only vents upwards.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#5]
wanderson, what comp is it that you use that vents only out the top?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Very nice
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#7]
nice
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
wanderson, what comp is it that you use that vents only out the top?
View Quote

Ares Effin-A' comp. but their 7.62/308 version only comes in 5/8x24. Nice comp, basically has 4 rows of threaded holes tapped all the way around it with small plugs you screw in to the holes you want to plug. The AR I have it on only shoots corrosive Yugo M67 and it's been on there for a few years with no rust so it seems to be well made. It's also pretty heavy for a comp. I don' think they have an AK or VZ friendly version.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:13:38 AM EDT
[#9]
That is an interesting concept. I might get a thread adapter for my vz and give it a whirl.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#10]
doesn't that wrap get tacky on your face?
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top