Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/28/2015 11:01:15 PM EDT
I have a VZ2008 that seems to have a malfunctioning bolt hold open. I had put around 400 rounds through it with no problems of holding the bolt back after the last round. At this point I got the bolt carrier tabbed and the bolt hold open extended with a small tab welded onto the side so that it can be actuated with my trigger finger. After putting the new extended bolt hold open on the rifle, a problem emerged. with an unloaded magazine in, the bolt hold open no longer locks the bolt carrier back every time. The only change that would affect this is the new bolt hold open, but I've inspected it and it isn't rubbing on anything.

So does anyone know a way to fix this problem? The only explanation that I can think of is that the bolt hold open weighs more after being welded, meaning that the magazine spring cannot push the heavier bolt hold open up to lock the bolt back.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:06:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Test it with the gun upside down.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you try it with a different magazine? It could be that your springs are weak.

Do you have any pictures of the BHO?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Unfortunately, I am not able to test it with another magazine since I only own 1 at the moment. Although, I fired the gun yesterday and the bolt hold open worked properly. Since getting back from the range though, the bolt hold open is not locking the bolt back anymore.

Here are some pictures of the BHO as it is right now.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I started looking at the BHO and got sidetracked by that 1911. After about five minutes of staring, I got back on target.

Most aftermarket BHOs have less metal on them than yours does, so it may be that yours is too heavy to be pushed up and hold the bolt open reliably.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, that 1911 was my last project gun. It was my dream pistol so I built it exactly how I wanted it. I looked for my build thread on the 1911 board but it was too long ago to show up anymore haha

Thats what I was thinking too. Not too sure how I can fix it, either find a magazine that has slightly stronger springs or have a weaker BHO return spring. Those are the only solutions I can think of. Any other advice?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Did you try testing the bolt hold open with the gun upside down? That would tell you if the bho was too heavy to engage, since gravity would be helping it along.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Did you try testing the bolt hold open with the gun upside down? That would tell you if the bho was too heavy to engage, since gravity would be helping it along.
View Quote
So I tried this, and it seems that the BHO is engaging the bolt every time when the rifle is upside down. Now that I know what I'm dealing with, I guess the next step is finding a solution. Probably just cut a coil or two off the BHO return spring?

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I would not recommend that. What you need is a stronger spring that pushes the BHO up into position. Try ordering some fresh magazine springs that are nice and stiff. I am assuming you got a surplus magazine with your rifle?
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top