Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/9/2015 5:24:26 PM EDT
Just wanted to see what the consensus was with zeroing the vz2008. I currently have my leaf set at the lowest (U or whatever) setting zeroed at 50 yards. 100 Yard zero is not really an option as I cannot see the target well at that range. Most of my shooting is 50 yards and in.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you answered your own question.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey, I don't post on here often but with my vz I have it set up at 100 yards on the 100 meter setting and I am at least able to keep my groups within less than a paper plate. Idk if that helps but for it gives me a bit more range but I have never tried any further.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I zero in my 7.62x39 rifles by putting the rear sight on the universal notch in back and aiming center of mass (COM) at 25 yards.  At that distance, COM will provide a quick and reliable hit.

Then for 100 yards, I set the sight to the 100 meter notch, but instead of COM, I use "6 o'clock hold" or "pumpkin on the post".  This works really well for two reasons:  First, the front sights on these rifles are so fat that at 100 yards they obliterate anything smaller than a 10" plate.  Lowering the sight and placing the target right on top enables the target to be seen -- it "emerges" from the sight.  Secondly, the 7.62x39 trajectory has quite an arc to it, and by shooting to 100 yards by using a 25 yard zero, the point of impact will be much too high.  By going from a COM to 6 o'clock hold, not only is the target now visible, but the rifle and therefore the point of impact is lowered.  I've found that it takes lowering the sight to the 100 meter notch to fully compensate for the bullet's arc as just going from a COM to a 6 o'clock hold is not quite enough.  

Set up like this, I can consistently hit a target both at 25 and 100 yards.  At 25 yards, COM is instinctive as that's they way I learned with handguns.  At 100 yards, 6 o'clock hold is instinctive for no other reason than that's the only way I can actually see the target.  At 50 yards, it's just an estimation in between which is also instinctive since that's when the front sight starts to obliterate the target and the sight is lowered just enough to see.   The trajectory will follow.

I typically don't have the opportunity to shoot past 100 yards, but I suspect that moving the rear sight ladder to correspond to the target's distance and using 6 o'clock hold will work well.  

Keep in mind this is not 1 MOA shooting, not with iron sights.  This will, however, enable you to consistently hit pie-plate sized targets, and definitely man-sized ones.  

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top