Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/3/2015 10:29:41 AM EDT
I am interested in a rifle that shoots 7.62x39(totally new caliber to me). The vz look like a cheap and high quality solution at $379. My question is did century arms really fix it with the modified disconnector, or is it just a different disconnector that is not a fix? Would I need to get it tabbed to be 99% reliable. I don't want to have to get it tabbed because that brings the price close to yugo m70 ak which I would rather have.

So what do you guys think?
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am interested in a rifle that shoots 7.62x39(totally new caliber to me). The vz look like a cheap and high quality solution at $379. My question is did century arms really fix it with the modified disconnector, or is it just a different disconnector that is not a fix? Would I need to get it tabbed to be 99% reliable. I don't want to have to get it tabbed because that brings the price close to yugo m70 ak which I would rather have.

View Quote

Well I own both a Yugo OPAP and the VZ from century. The Vz is a lot lighter and honesty more fun to shoot vs the OPAP in my opinion. Really a neat rifle. I haven't had any gremlin issues and I still haven't tabbed (about 500rnds), although it does give peace of mind to tab I suppose. I suspect CAI did for the most part fix the gremlin since i haven't incidentally heard people having the issues as of late. I may end up buying a second VZ from PSA before they OOS
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

I voted AK, I would rather buy this http://www.jgsales.com/romanian-wasr10-ak-style-rifle,-7.62x39,-wood-stock,-bayo-lug,-slant-cut-muzzle,-with-free-drum.-p-67362.html

The yugo you speak of if it's the yugo m70ab2 or m70b1?  just a heads up it's assembled by century arms also, do research before purchasing

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#3]
As much as I really love my VZ, one of the nice things about an AK are cheap mags, cheap drums, available 20 round mags (both Hungarian Tankers and Koreans), and tons of aftermarket furniture, rails, stocks, etc. I've had about 800 to 1k rounds thru my VZ, actually more than my AK, with no trigger gremlin. If it happens, I'll tab the carrier and be done with it, but I'm not gonna spend the money to fix a problem that hasn't happened yet. I almost passed on the VZ for the trigger gremlin but glad I added one to the collection. I've run Yugo M67, Golden Tiger, Wolf, Brown bear and Red Army thru my VZ, it's not failed to feed or fire with any of them and consistently shoots tight groups @ 100 yards with a TRS-25 red dot.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:49:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

No. Century did not fix the Gremlin. the only true fix is either a tabbed bolt carrier (which Forced March in Seattle does well and cheaply) or a Zendl disconnector,  which you have to order from the Czech republic and costs about 100 bucks and a money transfer; Tabbing is about 60 i think; Cheaper, stronger and much less involved.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I concur that Century did not fix the gremlin.  I was hopeful as my VZ2008(purchased in March last year from AIM) went almost 800 rounds with no problems, then I had the gremlin rear it's head last week twice in one mag, then about three times in the next two mags.

I have contacted Morgan at Class 3 Machining/Dallas Shooting Supplies and IIRC he quoted me like $60 with return shipping.  He has several of these guns in his personal collection and two that are post sample machine guns.  I'm probably going to send him the entire gun and have him tab the carrier and shorten, thread and pin a suppressor mount to the barrel to bring me back over the 16" legal length.  Going to go with the YHM QD flash hider in .30 cal 1/2-28 as the barrels are too thin for 5/8-24.

He's a dealer on this forum and you can email him at: [email protected]

You can also check out his barrel threading thread here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_143/1029861_Barrel_Threading_sale__50__PTR_91__Tavors__Augs__Scar__Sig_MPX_Scorpion_Evo_can_Mounts__40_Shipped.html

Cool thing is, the barrel does NOT have to be removed for him to cut and thread it!  He can also move the front sight back and re-pin, which I intend to have him do, eventually.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#6]
My VZ2008 was a late 2013 production and had the gremlin after about 300rds.  I sold it instead of tabbing it.  New owner had the bolt tabbed and loves it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Had mine since 2011 and have had no issues.

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:54:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My VZ2008 was a late 2013 production and had the gremlin after about 300rds.  I sold it instead of tabbing it.  New owner had the bolt tabbed and loves it.
View Quote

Can you just buy a new bolt?
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I read an earlier thread where someone tried to order a tabbed carrier from CZ and they refused, told them if there were issues to send the gun in for repair.
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top