Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2015 3:04:47 AM EDT
I am looking at this setup for $195 with free shipping. http://www.zahal.org/products/vz-58-cz-858-conversion-and-accessory-kit-basic-2?path_parent=219001

But I watched a youtube video where the guy stated the top cover would not fit securely for an optic.  I don't want to spend a ton of money on this rifle, so buying a $300 rail is not an option.  Anyone have this setup, and it does work properly?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:21:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am looking at this setup for $195 with free shipping. http://www.zahal.org/products/vz-58-cz-858-conversion-and-accessory-kit-basic-2?path_parent=219001

But I watched a youtube video where the guy stated the top cover would not fit securely for an optic.  I don't want to spend a ton of money on this rifle, so buying a $300 rail is not an option.  Anyone have this setup, and it does work properly?
View Quote

Hey Gasitman,

I considered this and other similar setups when I originally ordered my VZ.
After a lot of research, numerous reviews and videos, and even a bit of contacting Zahal, I realized that the polymer handguard (FAB/MAKO) was simply not going to be robust enough for any optic beyond just looking "cool."
Why? Partly due to a very difficult fit, partly due to weak polymer that breaks during installation, and partly due to common sense.
Another blaring issue for this handguard set is that it sits too high for any degree of co-witness if that matters to you.

Overall, I am very happy I did not buy the Mako Polymer Hanguard set and I cringe when I see a fat optic on one (100% impracticool).
I would still consider a FAB Defense Grip, although I'm really not a fan of the stocks.

My best suggestion regarding a good viable handguard would be the
Bonesteel Arms VS Hguard set.
Its a robust, completely machined (by CNC warrior), light weight set that allows a nearly absolute co-witness. It's not cheap (170ish), but itll hold zero and look fantastic.
See my pic below for an example of it.
http://s8.postimg.org/ppibuoa39/image.jpg

Kolme

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#2]
That looks good.  Maybe I will just save some cash and buy that one.  I still want a better butt stock. Is there a place where I can get a M4 style adapter?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That looks good.  Maybe I will just save some cash and buy that one.  I still want a better butt stock. Is there a place where I can get a M4 style adapter?
View Quote

Yes there are but they take a bit of work to fit onto the VZ2008 and really dont come with any promises. Both Zahal (to my knowledge) and CzechPoint (for sure) sell them. Just be advised theyll take a bit of effort to fit

Kolme
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

When you say top cover I assume you mean the upper hand guard? I have one of these on mine. I have 2 things to say about it. First, its ugly as mud. At first i liked it and then not so much. Second, I have a bushnell trs-25 on it and its pretty solid. I zeroed it when i put it on and roughly 500 rounds later its still zeroed. Mine is very solid. But the VZ2008 does have variations from gun to gun. Mine was such a tight fit that it took a lot of filing and a lot of mallet to get it  to fit. Some of the other options may be better and probably are, but you asked if anyone has used it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:15:36 AM EDT
[#5]
To the OP:
Zahal drop-ships most of their product. (Ergo, Mako, CZ USA and Bonesteel) particularly. They ship from Isreal, which took 3.5 weeks to get to me in East Coast. Only 1/2 the order was there.
I personally like Bonesteel for VZ parts, but the collapsible M4 stock/ mount, handguard kit and muzzle brakes was from Zahal.

Got a FREE VZ 58 hat too :)
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought the UAS VZ-P stock and the FAB pistol grip from Zahal. As aforementioned, shipping takes a little longer, but it's cheaper than ordering from Mako.

As far as the rails go, I ordered a set of Bonesteel rails recently (also under Kolme's suggestion) and I am currently waiting for them to be made and ship.
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top