Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2015 11:47:28 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone uses their VZ58 for deer hunting? The method our party uses is driving the deer to shooters. After last year trying to get shots off on my 1917 Springfield (bolt action 30-06), I told my wife I needed a new rifle, and now I'm a proud new owner of a beautiful d-technik that came with a bunch of furniture, and I'm working on the best setup for hunting. (Mind you, I'll still be going to the range for all manner of fun, too). I was wondering if anyone is using a Bushnell TRS-25 on a FAB upper (one of the furniture sets that came with the rifle). Any input on working setups people may be using would be great. Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was wondering if anyone uses their VZ58 for deer hunting? The method our party uses is driving the deer to shooters. After last year trying to get shots off on my 1917 Springfield (bolt action 30-06), I told my wife I needed a new rifle, and now I'm a proud new owner of a beautiful d-technik that came with a bunch of furniture, and I'm working on the best setup for hunting. (Mind you, I'll still be going to the range for all manner of fun, too). I was wondering if anyone is using a Bushnell TRS-25 on a FAB upper (one of the furniture sets that came with the rifle). Any input on working setups people may be using would be great. Thanks for the help!
View Quote

A deer rifle huh? Hmmm sounds interesting. I'm sure it will get the job done. But you'll probably get the "what is this Red Dawn?" comments. I used the fab handguard and bushnell trs-25. I think the handguard is ugly ugly ugly. Did i say ugly? BUT it works and coupled with the trs25 its rock solid in my experience. I have over 500 rounds through it and its still on zero.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:57:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm well Im familiar with the FAB guards. I'm assuming you have the aluminum machined set. They are pretty well made and most people don't have anything bad to say. The only downside I can see to the aluminum FABs is that the do not allow a co-witness through the rear and front site (because the FAB guards sit high). Other hand guards, like troy, NEA, and Bonesteel Arms (what I use), sit much lower and allow the co-witness. So if you like the co-witness set up, you'll have to switch to one of these. If not, then the aluminum FABs will probably be fine.

The bushnell TRS is a good micro dot. You might also look at a Primary Arms and their microdot (which is similar to the TRS-25, although I like it a bit more). If you're going to stick with the FAB aluminum guards, you might also consider the Vortex Strikefire RED DOT (not the green/red), and use a medium scope ring.

Kolme
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:12:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate the responses, thank you very much. The FAB furniture that came with this rifle is not the aluminum, it's poly. It seems very solid, so I'll be comparing the Bushnell and the Primary Arms (thanks for the recommendation, Kolme). I'll keep you posted on what I finally decide on.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#4]
7.62x39 is ballistically close to Winchester 30-30 so it's more than adequate for deer hunting. I've had a Bushnell TRS-25 on my VZ for years with no complaints, I have several types of red dot & reflex sights and the Bushnell has the smallest & clearest dot, fine enough for precision shooting at 100 yards. I've seen the Primary Arms version and it looks identical to the TRS-25, and I've bought several optics from Primary Arms with satisfied results. So no bad choice there, I'd just buy whichever one is cheapest. Saw another thread where one of these red dots was available for $50, not sure if it was a sale but the best price I've seen for this style red dot.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
7.62x39 is ballistically close to Winchester 30-30 so it's more than adequate for deer hunting. I've had a Bushnell TRS-25 on my VZ for years with no complaints, I have several types of red dot & reflex sights and the Bushnell has the smallest & clearest dot, fine enough for precision shooting at 100 yards. I've seen the Primary Arms version and it looks identical to the TRS-25, and I've bought several optics from Primary Arms with satisfied results. So no bad choice there, I'd just buy whichever one is cheapest. Saw another thread where one of these red dots was available for $50, not sure if it was a sale but the best price I've seen for this style red dot.
View Quote

Yea the trs-25 was on sale between 50-60 on and off for a bit but its back up to 80+ and has been for about a month if I recall. Part of the reason I prefer the PA is their CS is ridiculously good. Somewhere on this site there's a 16+ page thread devoted to PA appreciation. Just my additional thoughts lol. Also everything I buy from them is strangely good for the price, including a recent FFP 4-14x44 scope, still scratching my head after only paying $230.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll agree on PA service, first item I bought from them years ago was an M4 red dot clone, moved it multiple times and broke one of the mounting bolts. Contacted Marshall/PA asking where I could buy a replacement and he shipped me another bolt free of charge.
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top