Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/3/2015 9:43:55 PM EDT
Has anybody here used the Tuffzone handguards on their vz58 or vz 2008? I can't justify spending over $200 on the aluminum handguards from Fab (and I can't afford them), and I am still not completely sold on polymer handguards.

One of the things that appears to be really great is ventilation. At the same time, do I need to worry about hot gases coming out and burning my hand from the piston or GSR clouding an optic? I don't care about getting gas hand, I just want to make sure that I won't hurt myself.

Link: http://www.tuffzone.com/Quad-Rail-Hand-Guard-for-VZ58-CZ-858_p_197.html

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I havent had any experience or convos about the tuffzone ones. They seem similar to the FABs though. I agree that the Mako Polys would be a poor choice if considering adding a optic (Alot of people do it, and I think its purely a tacticool kind of thing for them and not practicool). I will say that the tuffzone and the fab both will not allow a good co-witness unlike the Troy, NEA, or BoneSteel Arms.... However, if that doesnt matter to you then maybe you might want to try the tuffzone. I personally went with a full BoneSteel Arms set for the cowitness (micro dot). You can always just grab with bonesteel upper guard and a black poly lower if you dont care about lower guard mounting..

Sorry I couldnt be more help..

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I havent had any experience or convos about the tuffzone ones. They seem similar to the FABs though. I agree that the Mako Polys would be a poor choice if considering adding a optic (Alot of people do it, and I think its purely a tacticool kind of thing for them and not practicool). I will say that the tuffzone and the fab both will not allow a good co-witness unlike the Troy, NEA, or BoneSteel Arms.... However, if that doesnt matter to you then maybe you might want to try the tuffzone. I personally went with a full BoneSteel Arms set for the cowitness (micro dot). You can always just grab with bonesteel upper guard and a black poly lower if you dont care about lower guard mounting..

Sorry I couldnt be more help..

http://s8.postimg.org/teq4g486d/VZp_A.jpg
View Quote

Did you have to do much fitting with the Bonesteel rails? Or did they slide on after just a little bit of filing?
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:18:23 AM EDT
[#3]
hey sorry was this very late response. My email isnt getting replies, not sure why yet..

The bonesteel arms fits like a GLOVE (like a really small glove)...

The Upper guard goes on similar to the stock VZ guard, however it has 4 fine strong screws which are used to tighten the upper guard into place (basically you tighten the screws with an adhesive causing them to be permanently in that position, therefore the upper guard wont move, allowing you to maintain a zero). The guard still comes on and off with typical ease despite the screw system. Its a smart way to make it work.

The Lower guard fits VERY TIGHT, but in a very good way (since you typically wouldnt be able to field strip it anyway). A couple hits with a rubber mallet does the job (couple meaning like 30), and its on for life. No dremel, etc needed.

Overall very impressive guard set. If you want more info on them, or a video of me removing the upper, I can supply one later.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:27:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
hey sorry was this very late response. My email isnt getting replies, not sure why yet..

The bonesteel arms fits like a GLOVE (like a really small glove)...

The Upper guard goes on similar to the stock VZ guard, however it has 4 fine strong screws which are used to tighten the upper guard into place (basically you tighten the screws with an adhesive causing them to be permanently in that position, therefore the upper guard wont move, allowing you to maintain a zero). The guard still comes on and off with typical ease despite the screw system. Its a smart way to make it work.

The Lower guard fits VERY TIGHT, but in a very good way (since you typically wouldnt be able to field strip it anyway). A couple hits with a rubber mallet does the job (couple meaning like 30), and its on for life. No dremel, etc needed.

Overall very impressive guard set. If you want more info on them, or a video of me removing the upper, I can supply one later.
View Quote

Thanks for your input. I ordered a set this morning and can't wait until they come in (although Daniel told me that the wait is about 8 weeks right now)!

Thanks for the info on the fit of the rails to the rifle. I work in HVAC and end up hammering on things until they fit, so your explanation of fitting the lower handguard was quite well received!

Thanks again Kolme!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey! Glad I could help! Im positive you'll really like this handguard set. I shot my VZ58 last night with a micro on the upper guard and it held a perfect zero. I also found that these handguards dissipate the heat a little better than the stock lower guard.

ENJOY!!!

Kolme
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hey! Glad I could help! Im positive you'll really like this handguard set. I shot my VZ58 last night with a micro on the upper guard and it held a perfect zero. I also found that these handguards dissipate the heat a little better than the stock lower guard.

ENJOY!!!

Kolme
View Quote

How do I leave positive feedback for you? You were helpful and I want to make sure it is noticed by others!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How do I leave positive feedback for you? You were helpful and I want to make sure it is noticed by others!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ENJOY!!!

Kolme

Honestly, I'm pretty new to this forum, but I don't believe such a system is in place (I would have used it alooooot by now!). But just hearing your appreciation is way better than a "thumbs up" :D

Kolme
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:39:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Honestly, I'm pretty new to this forum, but I don't believe such a system is in place (I would have used it alooooot by now!). But just hearing your appreciation is way better than a "thumbs up" :D

Kolme
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ENJOY!!!

Kolme

Kolme

Feedback is for selling/buying on the Equipment Exchange only.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:00:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I ordered the rails January 15th. I emailed BA before I ordered it, and I was told that the backorder was ~8 weeks. 8 weeks was this past Saturday (3/14/15). Since this is a custom order part, I expected it might take up to 10 weeks. I emailed BA over the weekend and inquired as to the status of the rails. I received an email back saying that they are expected to come in sometime NEXT MONTH! I was told 8 weeks (which I expected to be about 10). Are they worth waiting another month? After waiting 4 months for my Mepro Tru Dot and 2 months for the rails, I am getting really tired of being told next shipment your __ will ship.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#11]
This is not the first recent negative thread I've read regarding Bonesteel & long wait times on this board, normally I'd say be patient on low production run items like this but there have been other complaints about long wait times over parts readily available from other vendors like CNC Warrior.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah their wait times can be rough... I would check over at CNCWarrior (who makes the rails for BA) and see if they have any in stock. If so, Id just order a pair through them and cancel the order through the BA site. BA is a small family owned business with like 2 employees from what I understand, but even so, their wait times can seem a bit excessive. Im a little suprised though, since orders were getting filled quickly this last few months. Hope this helps

Kolme
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I checked CNC, but the rails are all out of stock over there.

The CNC rails say that they include the mounting hardware (clips, takedown pins, etc.) but no mention either way on BA's site. Do the BA rails include the mounting hardware?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I checked CNC, but the rails are all out of stock over there.

The CNC rails say that they include the mounting hardware (clips, takedown pins, etc.) but no mention either way on BA's site. Do the BA rails include the mounting hardware?
View Quote

Yes they both include all the materials and hardware to mount the rails. BA just pays CNC to make all the materials and allows CNC to sell them as well so its literally the same product, same hardware, same instructions. This also means BA has to wait on CNC to make these rails and they and CNC keep underestimating their popularity in the market, forum prices are over Msrp usually at over $200 bucks at times. If you can wait, then id say it's worth the wait, but I agree that it shouldn't take as long as a Form 4 or a Form 1 lol.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I emailed BA to see if they could give me a timeline on when the handguards would be shipping, but I was told that all they know is that CNC is working on the hand guards right now.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I emailed BA again at the turn of the month and they are expecting the handguards to arrive from CNC towards the end of the month.
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top