Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/4/2014 7:24:35 PM EDT
I bought a VZ2008 months ago from Palmetto. $399 with 5 mags and all the other stuff sure was a steal!!   When I was picking it up at my FFL, I noticed that the front sight blade was missing.  So I had him send it back to Centuryy.  Century was very good about it but the turn-around time was 7 or 8 weeks.  It got back with a front sight blade installed.

I took it to a range to sight the irons and red dot in.  I had trouble sighting in the irons and noticed that the front sight pin was moving rather under recoil.  Came to find out that the front sight base pin was installed with the wrong up side down.  That was why the blade was missing in the first place.  Now the new blade was lose and the base pin was walking itself left and right under recoil.  Took it apart and reinstalled it correctly.

Then, after a total of less than 100 rounds from the first time I fired it, the tip of the firing pin broke off!  I was just firing regular WOLF.  At this point, I really did not want to send it back to Century again for warranty service - not another 7-8 weeks!  I had also already accessorized and painted it.  So I ended up ordering a firing pin for $25 from Czechpoint and swapping it out myself.  Only one video on youtube on how to detail strip the bolt and put it back together, which was very helpful, because the extractor was a pain.

So now, I finally got it back up and running.  Everything seems to be working fine AS OF NOW.  Not sure whether Gremlin issue will occur.  I guess we will see.  I do appreciate what the VZ platform has to offer, but I have to say I've never had any problems with any of my AK's :)

Here's the problem child.  The Czech muzzle brake does throw some fire balls :)

[youtube]K4ZD58aV7bk?version=3&vq=hd1080[/youtube]

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Century seems to be doing better but looks like they are still letting crap out the door. I just sent a WASR back because the front sight drum was so loose I could move it with my fingers, I hope it doesn't take 7-8 weeks to get back. Glad you got the thing running.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:07:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks and good luck with the turnaround time on your repair.

I posted this in the vz forum and I will pasted it here too:

To be fair, Century was very courteous to deal with on the phone and had no problem taking the rifle back the first time for repair.  The 7-8 week turnaround time for me did seem long to the end user.  I'm not sure who put the front sight base pin in upside down.  And breaking the firing pin within the first 100 rounds was indeed disappointing.

My FFL was commenting on this being the first time there was a problem with a firearm with so many transfers he had done for me.  I guess it is a hit-or-miss with these VZ2008.

I have plenty of go-to rifles (AKs and ARs) and wasn't planning on using this as one even before my purchase.  I did want to get proficient with this platform.  Now fingers crossed with the potential gremlin problem?  Not sure whether Century's fix with the two springs really works 100%?

One more thing - I understand the receiver should be the same as the ones from Checkpoint?  But for some reason, the specs between the receiver and the handguard retaining bracket with sling attachment are as such that I had to grind and file down the rear portion of the NEA lower hand guard quite a lot to be able to install it.  I had not heard of people having fitment issues with their NEA or Troy handguards?  But maybe they just weren't telling :)
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top