Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2014 10:04:30 PM EDT
still tying to come up with a solution for optics on my vz2008. Since I have no experience with the VZ, can anyone tell me if mounting a reddot on a side mount over the dust cover gives the rifle more accuracy than on on the hand guard?
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't used a receiver mount on my vz.

I do have a Bushnell TRS-25 mounted on a Troy/NEA rail and have been fairly competitive on the 280 yard targets at our local carbine match.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't used a receiver mount on my vz.

I do have a Bushnell TRS-25 mounted on a Troy/NEA rail and have been fairly competitive on the 280 yard targets at our local carbine match.
View Quote

So in your opinion it would be fine to just mount it on the hand guard? Anything different you have to do as opposed to using one on an AR?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#3]
My personal opinion is that it doesn't make much of a difference.  It's really user preference and how you feel when it comes the balance of the rifle.  Red dot optics have a rather unlimited FOV and does not require proper eye relief.  In terms of accuracy, it doesn't really make any difference where you mount it on the rifle.  Plenty of people, or most people, mount their red dot on the handguard/rail up front on an AK/VZ platform instead of having to get a fancy rail that sits on top of the dust cover or replace the dust cover with an aftermarket one that has an integrated top rail.  Heat is a different issue.  But with manufacturers coming out with better handguards and the advancement of the optics, it's not that big of a deal either.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I am using the CSA side mount  with a red dot and its been pretty good so far. At 100 meters I can pop my steel swinger pretty much everytime.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My personal opinion is that it doesn't make much of a difference.  It's really user preference and how you feel when it comes the balance of the rifle.  Red dot optics have a rather unlimited FOV and does not require proper eye relief.  In terms of accuracy, it doesn't really make any difference where you mount it on the rifle.  Plenty of people, or most people, mount their red dot on the handguard/rail up front on an AK/VZ platform instead of having to get a fancy rail that sits on top of the dust cover or replace the dust cover with an aftermarket one that has an integrated top rail.  Heat is a different issue.  But with manufacturers coming out with better handguards and the advancement of the optics, it's not that big of a deal either.
View Quote

That's the exact info I was looking for. I am not very experienced with red dots other than what I have and use on my AR. But the thought of having it way out on the hand guard made me wonder if it affected accuracy like front and rear iron sights being close together (AK and VZ). I'd perfer not drilling into the receiver for a side mount if I can get the same accuracy on the hand guard. Thanks again everyone!
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top