Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/18/2014 6:17:41 PM EDT
I bought a Century folding stock VZ2008 from PSA recently and my FFL thinks the ATF requires it to be transferred as a pistol.  He is rather adamant about this.  I have only seen this weapon listed and sold as a rifle.
I need some help here.  I obviously don't want to have to buy it as a pistol if that is incorrect as it may complicate future sale if I sold it in the future.  Is my FFL out of line on this???  Should it be transferred as a pistol or a rifle to me?
I live in Michigan and per current Michigan law a rifle must be over 26 inches long and the VZ2008 in 27 inches folded.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#1]
It is a rifle. It has a stock. There is no if and or but about it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#2]
As I remember it, the MI law is 30", or even 30.5", but that's beside the point.

According to federal definitions, it's a rifle. Hence, ATF paperwork is for a rifle. Then you need to have a hall pass level piece of paper from your local sheriff/chief of police or equivalent, approving it as a pistol. Usually not an issue.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Federally it's considered a rifle but under MI law any folding rifle under 30" or so had to be registered as a pistol, but I thought that law was updated back in 2012 to comply with Federal regulations. I'm not an MI resident so I can't say for sure. This might be a good question to ask in the Hometown forum. Seems odd to me that anything with a folding stock could be registered as a pistol without additional paperwork/tax stamp but things get weird when state law conflicts with fed law.
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top