Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2014 10:46:04 AM EDT
Got a chance to take my VZ2008 from PSA out to the range this past weekend.  Before I hit the range I took the whole thing apart to lube it up and check it out.  My rifle's bolt carrier is not tabbed, but everything seemed to be in good shape.  Muzzle threads are M14x1 RH.  I'll be picking up a Slovakian style brake to replace the slant brake that comes with the rifle.  Slight mar to the finish on top of the receiver cover but nothing that makes me want to send it back to century.  Safety selector is pretty stiff but works (down for safe, 90 degrees to the rear to fire).  My only real complaint is a common one: the folding stock release button was STIFF!  I took it apart to clean it up but it didn't really help.  I made sure to use thread locker on the screw when putting it back together (if anyone knows where to find a new hinge/spring/screw assembly I would like to pick up a new one, I beat mine up taking it apart).  Bayonet is not sharp but goes on and off the rifle easily.  Sling was old and very used, might clean up with some oil.  3 of 5 mags looks unused.  Mag pouch was brand new.  I actually haven't looked at the cleaning kit yet.

Ran 150 Golden Tiger FMJs through it at the range (30 rounds in each of the mags).  Two of the mags failed to lock the bolt back.  I'l probably contact Century to see if they'll send me a couple more, not the hugest deal.  Also ran through a box each of Wolf hollow points and Herters (Cabelas brand of Tula I'm fairly certain) soft point.  This rifle eats everything with no problem (all steel cased ammo).  Sights seemed accurate enough, but I was shooting offhand at 25 yards so that's not a good indicator.  The front handguard gets HOT!  I forgot my gloves and I noticed it!  The metal stock did not feel good on my cheek; my face got slapped while rapid firing.  Last night I got some pipe insulation and paracord.  I cut the pipe insulation to fit and wrapped the insulation in paracord, now there is a nice cushion on the stock and it still folds back and locks into place.  The button seems to have worn in because it unlocks pretty easily now.

All in all I am very happy with my rifle.  At $400 this is a steal.  It's hard to convince myself not to buy another one!  Hopefully the gremlin doesn't decide to show up but if it does I'll tab my carrier.  I might pick up a new pistol grip and a Bonesteel arms railed fore end to co-witness a TRS-25 and add a AFG (maybe even a light).  I do like the look of the beaver barf though so if I stick with that I'll probably convert a heat shield from an AK to fit under the handguard.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:00:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice little review.  I really need to pick one of these up while they're cheap.        

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 1:17:11 AM EDT
[#2]
It may just be a combination of you and the folding stock.

But if you were using the slant brake on the rifle. Taking it off will probably make a big difference with cheek slap. It's really a bad combination with the vz. 58. On an AK the slant brake is fine. But not on a 58.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 1:24:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Just dont shoot HP ammo. Mine was jammotic with those and from what i read, its a common problem. Nice rifle though and imho, more accurate out the box compared to AKs. $399 is icing on the cake
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#4]
You clean up the feed lip a little and HP feeds just fine too.  I should add to check your brass as well.  If you see a sharp line it's getting hung up a little and should be corrected.  That extra drag and the HP combo may make it worse.  I lightly dremmeled until no lines appeared on the brass and then it fed fine.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I didn't have any issues with the 20 rounds of HPs I used.

About the cheek slap:  I forgot to mention that I am a lefty (left-eye dominant/right handed, but I shoot rifles left-handed).  I wonder if the slant brake and my shooting left-handed contributed to the cheek slap.  The slant brake is going to go either way.  99% sure I'll get the Slovakian brake but I might go for a left handed Zendl.  My only concern with the Zendl (besides it costing twice as much) is that I usually shoot with friends and almost all of them are right handed.  I might just grind the slant brake down to a muzzle nut for now.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Try wiggling the stock a little bit and see if you can push the release then. On mine i have to move my stock a little and button works just fine.
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top