Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2014 8:12:00 AM EDT
Can anyone explain how to disassemble the hinge of the folding stock?  I just got a VZ2008 and the button is incredibly hard to press in the folded position (sometimes requirement hammer).  I have already blasted it with CLP and let gun oil soak in it overnight.  It looks like both the cap and the screw inside the cap have a slot for a screwdriver but I am wary of stripping threads from the research I have done on the topic.  I have searched but haven't had any luck finding a detailed guide on taking the hinge apart to clean it up for smooth operation.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't really care about dings or scratches on mine. I like that worn and used look. The center screw appears to be staked to keep it from turning. I used vice grips on mine and it was a little tight, but came right off. There was a bunch of crud inside that I cleaned out and it moves easier now. I'm going to take it apart again and see if there are any burrs that need to be removed. It still doesn't move as easy as I'd like it to.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#3]
My first rifle I just lubed the hinge and nut and worked it back and forth.  Unfortunately, it probably wasn't on there right in the first place because all that motion stripped out the nut.  I spent a weekend finding a hardware store solution and later found some replacement parts for less than a king's ransom, although the hardware store solution remains because it's still working well.

On the second rifle, I took it all apart.  The retaining nut came off easily with some padded pliers.  I cleaned all the grime out of it, lubed everything, then reassembled it.  It's been working fine.  If you take it apart, don't forget to put some blue loctite on the threads or you may eventually work the nut loose and strip it out.  That's what happened to my first one and seems to by typical as finding replacement parts is very difficult.

On my third, I tried to disassemble it like the second, but the nut didn't want to budge.  Some of these are staked properly and won't come off without destroying the threads.  I soaked and sprayed it repeatedly and now it functions well, although not as smoothly as the first two that were taken apart.  I can still feel a little grit when folding and unfolding the stock.  So far, the nut hasn't moved and Century probably used red loctite on this one.

If yours comes apart easily, I recommend cleaning and lubing it thoroughly and reassembling.  Don't forget the blue loctite.
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top