Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/26/2014 6:24:31 PM EDT
Does anyone have an opinon on this ? I really like my VZ over the AK for some reason and would like to SBR a VZ58. For those that know is it easier with a pistol (is this allowed even?) or form a rifle ? I understand the paper work and wait all that jazz but I am not sure how to go about this. Also if anyone has a gun smith they can recommend that would be awesome as well !
Thanks in advance
~g
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure you can form 1 either one.  Which one would be easier really depends on the barrel length.

Do you have a length in mind?  That'd help narrow your choices down.  

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 8:37:57 PM EDT
[#2]
For SBR, you are better off going with the VZ58 pistol, since you are will be getting an 11.9" barrel...there really isn't any point to getting the VZ58 rifle to chop the barrel.

Getting the pistol will allow you to shoot it as a pistol until your paperwork arrives.  In most states, you are legally able to carry a pistol for protection if your state allows.

My plan is to get the VZ58 pistol and adding a SB15 brace to my pistol.  That way I can legally carry it loaded since it's a pistol.

I am tired of the NFA wait times and the SB15 resolves that issue for me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a vz.58 project pending but I'm not going any shorter than 12.5" so chopping the rifle makes the most sense for my scenario.

I can use it while I wait too.  Really just depends on what the OP wants to do.  Sure, if he wants <= 11.9" barrel, pistol's the easiest way to go though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 9:57:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you all for the replies. I really hadnt thought of a barrel length per se. I wound up getting the pistol cuz I was told it was easier to do than cutting the barrel. Since we have now establish I know nothing - what stock are you guys going to use ? I like the standard stock the Vz comes with, but hey never hurts to ask ! I like the one in this thread -
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_2/326465__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Can_the_VZ58_be_converted_into_a_reliable_SBR_.html&page=1 does anyone know what type it is ?

This is my vz which I love btw -

Thank you all again.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 10:51:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Good looking pic you have there!  Standard folding stock for me too actually.  

Is the pic you're referring to in that thread posted by SeanK1ng?  Looks like the regular vz.58 stock with some foam pipe insulation to me.  That's just a guess though.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 1:14:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is the pic you're referring to in that thread posted by SeanK1ng?  Looks like the regular vz.58 stock with some foam pipe insulation to me.  That's just a guess though.
View Quote

Yep thats the one, and foam pipe insulation eh ? :D cheap is good ! lol
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 2:14:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My plan is to get the VZ58 pistol and adding a SB15 brace to my pistol. .
View Quote

Your the first person I've seen that intends to attach the brace to a vz. 58 pistol.

I don't know how they exactly mount (haven't been paying a lot of attention). But how do you plan to mount the brace onto the pistol?
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely agree, effective doesn't always equal expensive.

Here's a clearer view of the stock.  Appears to be the same vz.  Just looks like foam with a creative tape job, although I'm not sure what that stippled look comes from.  

Here's another one with standard pipe foam and duct tape.  You don't always have to throw money at a problem, for sure.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm going to get a Stormwerkz  adapter for the project.  I keep on going back and forth between VZ58 pistol and M85NP.  I'm leaning towards the VZ58 556 pistol because I'm going to have the charging handle placed on the left side which I feel would be perfect for faster reloads.

Quoted:

Your the first person I've seen that intends to attach the brace to a vz. 58 pistol.

I don't know how they exactly mount (haven't been paying a lot of attention). But how do you plan to mount the brace onto the pistol?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My plan is to get the VZ58 pistol and adding a SB15 brace to my pistol. .

Link Posted: 5/29/2014 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#10]
That makes sense.

I must have been thinking of the brace made by/sold for the the AK series of pistols.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#11]
If you don't have a lathe and a press or access to both, your best bet is to SBR a pistol.  I built mine as a pistol initially and then SBR'd it after getting the bugs worked out of it.  I miss the CFS $50 parts sets.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:41:33 PM EDT
[#12]
What about SBRing a VZ2008? I thought about having it done(for a fun toy). But i don't now anyone that does that kind of work.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't have any super constructive things to add. Being a Canadian: I can buy an SBR Vz58 off the shelf:

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice vz58, considering it's a Czechpoint vz58 I would not chop the barrel..but that's just me.  I would buy the Cheaper vz2008 and chop that instead.  Or wait by the end of summer czechpoint will be finally introducing their 7.5" version.  Unfortunately for me czechpoint won't be offering them with the sig arm brace.  But pictured above is awesome with the side folder....cool sbr
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Op, after looking around myself and reading some other threads i'd go with a pistol. I've seen alot of people have good shops cut there gun down and have problems. Personally i'im going to go with a pistol and then do register it. Yeah its alot of green. But it looks like cutting down the barrel isn't a good idea.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:00:08 PM EDT
[#16]
its kinda more compact enough without the need to SBR...good car/truck gun

I'd go for Yugoslav AK Krink
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:56:28 PM EDT
[#17]
@ TV-Press Pass:  That is the most awesome VZ58!  How long is the barrel and is your muzzle attachment removable?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:19:08 PM EDT
[#18]
That's a 7.5" barrel, and the brake is very much removeable!

I have a krink flash hider and AK slant brake that are fun to play with, but the one on there is custom for .223 caliber.

I also really like this big fat Czech military brake that makes shooting it a breeze. It just hammers anyone next to you though

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 4:26:40 AM EDT
[#19]
A VZ-58 pistol has been added to my list.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:28:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Now, if only Century would offer a pistol version of the Vz
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't have any super constructive things to add. Being a Canadian: I can buy an SBR Vz58 off the shelf:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3786/10963640043_a9dd237e99_b.jpg
View Quote

I love that pic! Are there any aftermarket handguards for the shorties yet?  I wish we could get these here in the states but in the meantime I will just have to keep my 11.9 SBR until I can SBR one of the 7.5 inch pistols. BTW how do you like the C more red dot? I thought about getting one for my Ar-9 project
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Has anyone Form 1 a VZ58 pistol here?  Anyone using E-File?

I have a few questions for E-File users, please chime in!!
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top