Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/29/2014 9:36:03 AM EDT
I recently bought one of the century Vz. 2008's. Gun is mostly fine as far as fit and function, but the release button for the folding stock is really, really stiff. I almost need a mallet to push the button in order to fold or unfold the stock. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, does anyone have any ideas as to how to correct it?
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Had the same problem, it gets better with time and use..
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#2]
yep, its the paint, work it a few times. It will loosen up.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 4:57:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Cool, thanks for the replies. Glad to know its a simple fix.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 7:00:55 AM EDT
[#4]
My stock release button was a little stiff as well. It actually got stiffer the more I messed around with it. I believe that's because these parts have the same finish - inside and out - as the rest of the rifle, which is that rough parkerizing. Here's what I did:

First, open and close the folding stock about 20 times. Be sure that you're not putting and pressure on the stock itself when you press the button, as torquing the stock can cause the mechanism to bind. I find it's easiest to flip the rifle around and grab the back of the receiver for leverage while I depress the button with my thumb, but YMMV.

Next, disassemble the folding stock mechanism, which is extremely simple. The button on the bottom of the mechanism is also the retaining nut for it. Unscrew the button counterclockwise by hand. The button will have a spring that nests in it. Remove both the button and the spring from the bottom, and you can slide the locking pin/bolt out the top of the mechanism. You can now remove the buttstock section from the mounting plate.

Now, clean and lube the inside of the mechanism, as well as the inside of the button, and the outside of the locking bolt. You'll likely have a decent amount of black "dust" inside the mechanism, which appears to be from the finish on the parts wearing in. Clean all of that out of there, and be sure the mechanism is well oiled/greased.

Finally, reassemble the mechanism (the reverse of the disassembly). Align the folding stock piece (either extended or folded), and insert the retaining bolt. Flip the rifle over, and put the spring in place on the bottom, over the threaded bottom portion of the retaining bolt. Then install the release button by placing it over the spring, compressing the spring slightly, and tightening the button/nut clockwise.

Once you do this, the release button should be much easier to operate.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 3:42:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine did this as well, I thought mine was welded open when I tried to close it. First time I cleaned it I put a few drops of CLP on top of the hinge, let it set for a few minutes then placed the release button on the edge of my gun vise and pushed down on the receiver til it released. Then poured as much oil as it would take while working the hinge and the release button, got quite a bit of gritty sludge out of it. Now it releases with one finger like it should.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#6]
So, when I disassembled the hinge mechanism, I damaged the threads on the hinge pin and cap screw. Does anyone know of a good source for replacement parts? The only place I have been able to find them is Czechpoint.com and they are sold out.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Everywhere I have seen it is out of stock. Here is what another guy did, short of buying a whole folder off ebay.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=63406.0
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Everywhere I have seen it is out of stock. Here is what another guy did, short of buying a whole folder off ebay.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=63406.0
View Quote

Thanks. I'm gonna go over to the machine shop at work tonight and try to clean up the threads with a tap and die since they are not too badly buggered up. If that doesn't work, I'll give this a try.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 6:17:24 AM EDT
[#9]
mine was a nightmare when i got it, my solution was to break it down and clean it really well.

it helped a little but the button was still sticking occasionally so i took my dremel and with a soft wire wheel i polished the push button bolt, and the contact areas of the swing arm.

as of now it works like a charm, the girlfriend still has a little trouble with it from time to time but it's not really her rifle anyhow.

hope this helps
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top