Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/10/2014 11:21:24 AM EDT
I'm picking up my VZ2008 from my FFL today after work.  Its coming from AIM Surplus. Are there any obvious things to check for before completing the transaction?  I've got AKs, but I know this ones a slightly different animal.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#1]
There have been quite a few of these having to go back to centruion for problems with cycling. Unfortunately it seems they are only showing their true colours when fired. Plus this time though it seems from talking to a few local shops centurion has really stepped up its customer service.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 11:37:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I've read about the "gremlin".  Can this be checked by dry firing the rifle?  Are there any issues with mag wobble in these guns?

Also, I've never denied a firearm transfer at an FFL. If there are obvious issues, do I just tell my FFL to return it?  How does that work?
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#3]
just worry about canted sights.. that should be it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 11:45:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Can't really be checked by dry firing. Mag wobble isn't a real problem with them. The actual vs58 are sent here as single stack sporters then they are milled out to take regular mags and from what I understand some.of them have real problems with mag wobble. Did you order it and have it sent to the ffl or did your ffl order it for you? If they ordered it they may charge you a fee for re shelving it. If you paid for it and ordered you'll have to contact aim and explain to the them the issue and then arrange to mail it back to them.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I ordered it and had it shipped to my FFL.  Man it makes me nervous hearing all these issues. Hopefully it's just a small percentage that are affected.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ordered it and had it shipped to my FFL.  Man it makes me nervous hearing all these issues. Hopefully it's just a small percentage that are affected.
View Quote

All the issues.. i heard 2 over hundreds of sold. Don't worry..

The gremlin issue  (i have not had it on my vz2008) is the design of the firearm.. has nothing to do with it being a century build. It can be corrected if it does happen.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 12:10:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, I've certainly seen/ heard of more than two people with issues. But that is what it is. The large majority of the Century 58's are fine.

Hope you got a properly built one and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 7:39:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought one from AIM and really love it, it is very accurate and super reliable with no failures in over 500rnds and I mean none. Do yourself a favor and buy the original style slovak comp and para cord your folding stock. Your cheek bone will thank you later, LOL. The canted sights have always been an issue with any AK, VZ build but it's not as rampant as it used to be. Back in the day when you could have rifles imported straight from the country of origin with few restrictions, I received rifles with slightly canted sights, my pre-ban MAADI for example. That rifle looked like it was put together in a a middle school shop class with a rattle can finish, but it was actually pretty accurate and very reliable. Sold it to a buddy for $250 back in the day ,LOL. I guess I shouldn't use that rifle for comparison, LOL.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been thinking about ordering the fixed stock for it.  I'm actually picking it up tonight hopefully. I'll see how the folding stock feels.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been thinking about ordering the fixed stock for it.  I'm actually picking it up tonight hopefully. I'll see how the folding stock feels.
View Quote

I doubt if you will like the folder.. perhaps with the added compensator.

Its a blast when you have it fixed w/ compensator.

Link Posted: 2/17/2014 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#11]
What issues are we talking about? Besides the guy with horribly canted front site i haven't heard anything bad with the new Century guns.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Besides canted sights. I've seen an issue or two with pretty bad rust, a bad part here or there and then there's the "gremlin". Which may or may not show up. May or may not show up initially either. You may shoot it several hundred rounds and then have that issue.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#13]
What rust have you heard about?
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 11:11:25 PM EDT
[#14]
It's all probably from either improper oiling before storage and not cleaning surplus parts properly. Remember all 58's have surplus parts in them. I saw a really rusty bore on one 58. But that was from over a year ago. Not being chrome lined and then not oiling the bore before storage probably did that one in. Then there is this one. http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=60017.msg397844#msg397844

If the gun shows up fine, it's probably fine. Unless someone doesn't maintain it properly. But with any new gun, but especially with Century products. It's best to check for rust.

I'd imagine a vast majority of the Century 58's are perfectly fine. But with places like AIM selling a whole bunch to people here and on the CZ forum. And with Century being Century (though any maker can have an issue or two) a few problems are bound to show up.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 12:38:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the info Jack.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 2:25:37 AM EDT
[#16]
No worries. I don't own a Century 58. I do have a couple CSA/Czechpoints though. But though I prefer what I have, these Century 58's are excellent. Especially for the money. But they have their share of issues. Just like anyone else.

Any gun can have issues. But I've seen a few more new Century guns and Browning shotguns over the years with rust issues. Right out of the box.
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top