Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/3/2017 11:07:55 AM EDT
lol man oh man........just got my brand new m92 home, cut off the thread protector and installed the detent.........decided to take on the peep sight install.

I just screwed up my new gun.......my fault, the punch i used looked small enough to go through when it first started, but once i slugged the shit out of it and got the pin half way out, the punch was in the ear SUPER tight........no amount of force could get it out.........then after fucking with it so much it snapped in half inside pivot pin channel sticking out of the ear

grabbed some pliers and tried to pull the pivot pin out on the other side that was now half way out and that was a no go either, it just started bending.......then i got the brilliant idea to take the dremel cutting wheel and cut down the exposed pivot pin and short as possible so i can try to drive it back through, into the broken punch piece, and hope they both come out the other side............NOPE............punched it through the ear, it cleared the ear, smashed into the broken part of the punch and wont budge any further........so now, the left side of the sight is not secured in the ear and slighly lifts up, but the right side seems like its in for life with the snapped punch piece holding it in........and the icing on the cake.........from fucking with it so much, the circle for the pivot pin in the ears stretched out and is basically a hairs way way from connecting to  one of the detent circles with no more metal inbetween them

im going to the bar

Any ideas for me to try tomorrow?

Left side of ear with the pivot pin punched through showing how close the holes are

Right side of ear with snapped punch

Back showing sight slightly lifted on the left side where there is nothing holding it in the ear.........even though it looks like one piece, that is part of the pivot pin smashed into the snapped punch part

Link Posted: 6/3/2017 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Go buy a steel punch and hammer both things back out. The punch didn't break because it was thin, the punch broke because you didn't hit it square.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, like he said.  Punches break more often when the thing you're working on moves and/or you hit the punch crooked.  Be sure the receiver is clamped in a padded vise or similar before you start whacking it.  If you have any of the punch protruding still like in that pic, I would get vise grips locked on it and twist it back and forth while pulling straight out until it comes out.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top