Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2017 11:18:25 AM EDT
Hello Great ones,
I have been a lurker for about ten years (sad I know). I am familiar with firearms, and have amassed quite the collection (to me). However, I have an itch and its time to scratch it. My intention are to build  a pistol, but with rifle capabilities (mostly). I was originally just going to grab a Bravo Company upper, a kak blade and Ar15 pistol lower. Then I realized I'm an American and the larger caliber based on a more reliable platform is the way to go ( not trying to get into that argument).

So, I have seen the picture thread that didn't all discussion, in there I saw a lot of nice pistols.  Here is where I'm at:
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:19:05 AM EDT
[#1]
-Are the M92 PAPs reliable? Are they still primary front runner for "budget AK pistol" now? Though an Arsenal or definitive arms would be nice they are not for this build. I do want something reliable, but don't want to spend several thousand dollars for it as I won't use this everyday. I'm probably looking at spending $1,000 or less for everything (pistol, rails, angled grip, brace, etc..) I do have some extra red dots that can be used as well.

-Primarily coming from the AR world, do I need a specific receiver (milled vs stamped) to ensure a shockblade can be mounted back there?

-What is the common theme with small rails for a micro-dot or red-dot? Are people replacing dust covers with railed dust covers?

I know, I know, I know....this is your typical "search the forums N00B" type post. My concern is that some of that information may be outdated by now.

In conclusion:
Hi guys, glad to be a part of the forum!
Could some of you throw out some parts, links, or manufacturers to point me in the right direction for a pistol (10.5" or 7.5"), rails, brace adapters/ kits, and anything else that I my need.
I haven't decided yet on a side folding brace or "fixed" brace. Any opinions on this are welcome as well!
OR.....should I ditch this idea and just go with the AR/ 5.56 pistol build (11.5" BSM upper, PSA lower, shockblade)?

-Crispy
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#2]
My AK pistol build is a Mini Draco with a Century Arms pistol brace, Hogue grip and Attero Arms optic mount in place of the stock rear tang, with a Bushnell TRS-25 mounted.

I liked the Dracos over the PAP's due to the standard style dust covers and components vs. the PAP.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#3]
That's great info. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a M92 that should be officially an sbr any day.

I've only shot it a few times since getting it, but it's ran like a top.

It blasts a pretty sizable flame though.

Sanded and stained the wood
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Mr. Crispy, your not going to go wrong with a AKM pistol for a " Truck Gun ", and the PAP M92 pistol would be an excellent choice.

But, as another poster already said; your aftermarket options will be somewhat limited. Not closed, but not as abundant as say a Draco. And I'm sure a Draco will also fit the truck gun bill very nicely. I have both the M92pv and M85pv. Both pistols are awesome to say the least.

Also, I'm not sure of the availability of the pap m92 right now. Might be a little scarce. I've seen more Dracos out there than pap pistols.

I would also recommend getting a folding cheek rest. A KAK tube with a Shockwave brace at the minimum of upgrading it. SBR it down the road if you just have too, but a folding SW is just heavenly.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#6]
My newly acquired M92 is my "mustang gun" and im in love with it. Toss it in a padded prince tennis racket case..... It might be my favorite gun in my collection. Only 200 flawless rounds through it so far, but man i couldnt think of a better type of weapon to run around with in a vehicle whether it be an m92 or draco pistol.

All my guns are cerakoted different colors so this one I decided to scuff the shit out of on purpose

Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My newly acquired M92 is my "mustang gun" and im in love with it. Toss it in a padded prince tennis racket case..... It might be my favorite gun in my collection. Only 200 flawless rounds through it so far, but man i couldnt think of a better type of weapon to run around with in a vehicle whether it be an m92 or draco pistol.

All my guns are cerakoted different colors so this one I decided to scuff the shit out of on purpose

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s92/chargeron24s/d2c0f61c-ad5d-4693-ab3c-40f7d410c737_zpsepihv8bf.jpg
View Quote
Very nice!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Very nice!
View Quote
Thanks

Also, for anyone with an M92 / M85 I highly suggest you check out Khyber Customs new rear replacement sights.........10x better than the factory rear sight. Flips the same way with your choice of either Battle peep / distance peep or another model (the one I got) with battle peep / V notch

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks

Also, for anyone with an M92 / M85 I highly suggest you check out Khyber Customs new rear replacement sights.........10x better than the factory rear sight. Flips the same way with your choice of either Battle peep / distance peep or another model (the one I got) with battle peep / V notch

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s92/chargeron24s/cba9202e-3c33-4137-afdb-bc7f62fb34a7_zpsjer7phg0.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very nice!
Thanks

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s92/chargeron24s/cba9202e-3c33-4137-afdb-bc7f62fb34a7_zpsjer7phg0.jpg
Oh yeah, I've been eyeing them!

On my upgrade list for both of mine.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a M92 that should be officially an sbr any day.

I've only shot it a few times since getting it, but it's ran like a top.

It blasts a pretty sizable flame though.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/38811/IMG-4132-149674.png

Sanded and stained the wood
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/38811/IMG-7165-127362.jpg
View Quote
Very nice job on the stain! That's pretty much what I want to do. What stain did you use?
OP, I have an M92 and it too has run with zero problems.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top