Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2017 10:43:47 PM EDT
I would love to add a red dot to my NPAP, and I know there are a variety of options from $50 rails you need to drill the top cover for to $150-$200 replacement covers with integrated rails. Somewhere in between you have Ultimaks. MFT makes some polymer handguard with a rail section, but polymer and I don't know how durable they are.

What are you using, what did it cost, where did you get it?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I would not put an optic on a polymer rail in an AK or any gun for that matter. But YMMV, I just bought a used TWS dust cover that replaces the stock one so I can't wait to try that out. I've had experience with railed top covers before and they do work (TWS dogleg and Zenit). If you want to keep the weapon traditional, I'd go with the standard piece of rail bolted to the area between the hinge and rear sight on the dust cover, it's minimal and won't look tacticool. But if tactical is what you want, ultimak, MI, and TWS make great mounting solutions.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a M85pv model that I'm currently getting a Manticore Arms Renegade forearm with a Burris Fast Fire mount on the top/gastube.

All the YouTube reviews I checked out gave the Manticore Renegade high praise. It's also within my budget, so this really guides my direction and options.

Still working on getting the fast fire. Probably try to get the ff 3 model. I'm hoping to keep these upgrades under, or around the $300.00 range to include the fast fire.

No experience with any of it yet though.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would not put an optic on a polymer rail in an AK or any gun for that matter. But YMMV, I just bought a used TWS dust cover that replaces the stock one so I can't wait to try that out. I've had experience with railed top covers before and they do work (TWS dogleg and Zenit). If you want to keep the weapon traditional, I'd go with the standard piece of rail bolted to the area between the hinge and rear sight on the dust cover, it's minimal and won't look tacticool. But if tactical is what you want, ultimak, MI, and TWS make great mounting solutions.
View Quote
Isn't the Manticore a polymer set? They seem to be highly regarded, but I share your concern.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#4]
if you're handy and not scared to do some cutting, you can take an Ultimak M1b and cut it to fit on the M85. here's a pic of mine, it has a Primary Arms AMD on it now.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:33:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Manticore is a poly handguard with an aluminum optic mount, absolutely love mine.

Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
if you're handy and not scared to do some cutting, you can take an Ultimak M1b and cut it to fit on the M85. here's a pic of mine, it has a Primary Arms AMD on it now.
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab126/sagillman/SBR/IMG_0948_zpsoovggyin.jpg
View Quote
I have an Ultimak that I think is an M9b. Looks like the package was marked m1b and then hand corrected to M9b

Is that a standard Magpul AK handguard?
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:09:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have an Ultimak that I think is an M9b. Looks like the package was marked m1b and then hand corrected to M9b

Is that a standard Magpul AK handguard?
View Quote
The M1B is around 1/4-5/16'' longer then the M85 gas tube. I'm not to sure if the M9 will work or not, you might want to sell or trade it for an M1 if you're looking to go this route. yes it's a AK MOE hand guard, I removed the factory handguard retainer (properly) and used a bolt on AK retainer.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:38:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Isn't the Manticore a polymer set? They seem to be highly regarded, but I share your concern.
View Quote
The optic plate on the manticore is aluminum and has two 'U' brackets that mount to the gas tube and secure the plate.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a set of CAA handguards on my WASR and Hogue handguards on my Draco, both are polymer with rails molded in to the upper handguard. And both are cheap. Hogue fits just like factory handguards so you can just use the railed upper if you prefer.

Both sport TRS-25s and hold zero to 50 & 25 yards respectively, no issues.

Neither setup will allow use of irons but they put the optic at a preferable height for me.

I also ran a UTG quad rail on the WASR, although it fit fine and held zero with no issues I just didn't like the look or feel.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:47:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've got a M85pv model that I'm currently getting a Manticore Arms Renegade forearm with a Burris Fast Fire mount on the top/gastube.

All the YouTube reviews I checked out gave the Manticore Renegade high praise. It's also within my budget, so this really guides my direction and options.

Still working on getting the fast fire. Probably try to get the ff 3 model. I'm hoping to keep these upgrades under, or around the $300.00 range to include the fast fire.

View Quote
I just put a Fastfire 3 on my M92 but I put it on the dust cover. Stormwerkz  has a dedicated Fastfire
Mount that I used. Only involved drilling 2 holes in the cover and didn't have to tap anything. Pretty easy
install but you're committed to Fastfire. It's $50 compared to $70 for the Renegade optic mount.

Stormwerkz
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I went with stormwerks rail for my slr104 sbr. If I take the rds off it looks just like a real krink.  Took like 5 minutes to install.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just put a Fastfire 3 on my M92 but I put it on the dust cover. Stormwerkz  has a dedicated Fastfire
Mount that I used. Only involved drilling 2 holes in the cover and didn't have to tap anything. Pretty easy
install but you're committed to Fastfire. It's $50 compared to $70 for the Renegade optic mount.

Stormwerkz
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stormwerkz
Well, I counted my chickens before they got hatched, and missed out on being able to get the manticore handgaurd with the Burris mount. ( Arfcom ee sale )

So, back to the starting line. I'm cool with that stormwerkz mount. Thanks for your guidance. I think I'll pursue this route Instead.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I could have went either way as I've got the hand guard minus the optics mount but I like the way it turned out. and you can co witness.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I used a MI forend from my spare parts box on my M92. I removed the factory handguard retainer to allow the MI forend to fit, it's not the correct Yugo specific model. I believe it was for a Saiga?? Stuck a Vortex sparc on it that was laying around.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I used a MI forend from my spare parts box on my M92. I removed the factory handguard retainer to allow the MI forend to fit, it's not the correct Yugo specific model. I believe it was for a Saiga?? Stuck a Vortex sparc on it that was laying around.
View Quote
Any chance of detailed pics?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I went with the Manticore, Fastfire 3 should be here tomorrow.

Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:41:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
@atram6  as detailed as they'll  get today.

I may have dremeled the top cover to fit over the upper handguard retainer.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/22018/20170514-193721-208628.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/22018/20170514-193802-208630.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/22018/20170514-193721-208628.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/22018/20170514-193802-208630.JPG
Looks really good!
Thanks for the pictures.

Eta; I'm assuming that you have a clamp on hand guard part some where in there?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Looks really good!
Thanks for the pictures.

Eta; I'm assuming that you have a clamp on hand guard part some where in there?
View Quote
The MI handguards use a v-shaped barrel clamp, then the outer handguards attach to it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:35:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
Yeah, those don't work on PAP pistols.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:18:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I used a stormwerks rail on one of my krinks.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top