Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/8/2017 5:05:43 PM EDT
I'm sending a 16 inch barrel to be chopped and threaded for use on my SBR.  Any opinions on "best" length?
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends what the goal of the rifle is. For an all-purpose rifle, 12.5" seems to be the sweet spot for 7.62x39. It loses little velocity (certainly not enough to bring it below the velocity threshold of modern defensive ammo) and as such can do everything the 16" carbines can, but have better balance and handling. Adding a can brings you out to normal carbine length instead of out to musket length. If you're going for a PDW style weapon, I would emulate the 8.5" Arsenal krink's front end with the folding stock of your choice. You'll still get useful velocities out of the 8.5" barrel (most of the powder in most loads has already burned by then), even if your effective range is less than that of the 12.5" and longer barrels.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:36:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends what the goal of the rifle is. For an all-purpose rifle, 12.5" seems to be the sweet spot for 7.62x39. It loses little velocity (certainly not enough to bring it below the velocity threshold of modern defensive ammo) and as such can do everything the 16" carbines can, but have better balance and handling. Adding a can brings you out to normal carbine length instead of out to musket length. If you're going for a PDW style weapon, I would emulate the 8.5" Arsenal krink's front end with the folding stock of your choice. You'll still get useful velocities out of the 8.5" barrel (most of the powder in most loads has already burned by then), even if your effective range is less than that of the 12.5" and longer barrels.
View Quote

After a moment of indecision I am going to go with 11.5.  My suppressor is rated for 10+, I've already got a 10.5, and I didn't feel like 12.5 was worth the tax stamp.  11.5 seemed like a good compromise.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#3]
12.5 on paper doesn't seem like much, but in the AK it really is the perfect length. Balance is perfect, and like stated above the loss of velocity is minimal.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#4]
7.5 inches because you can just buy a mini Draco.  You can SBR it and suppress it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#5]
My AR and AK will both be 12.x" in 762x39
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Still waiting on my 11.5 A2 FSB upper to get back.  Fired my 10.5 inch for the first time this weekend and it's a really cool gun.  Tried it without suppressor (just because) but with an ASR MB and it was violent & loud.  Blew a bunch of stuff off the shooting bench to the left and right

With a suppressor is
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top