Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2017 2:26:02 PM EDT
I bought a small pile of Yugo M85 mags a few years ago with the intention of getting a 85PV. And never got one.

This week I found one in decent shape at a price I can live with. However with the AR mag variant 85NP readily available I'm rethinking buying an AK pistol that's pretty much limited to the dozen mags I own already since there dont seem to be anymore 85PV magazines available at reasonable prices.  

I don't really need another AK pistol, I just want one because I have the 85PV mags already

Any insight on which way to go?
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:13:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, I can't really say much about the NP model, but I do have the PV and I love it. Besides the mags being kinda hard to get, and expensive ( I also stocked up on pv mags ) it's great.

The draw about the NP obviously is that ar mags can be used, so a lot more practical. I'm thinking that the np shoots just as good as the pv.

I guess if the OP has a decent stock of pv mags, go with that one?! Or sell mags? Get np?

I also think that the pv looks better than the np, but looks ain't everything.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:20:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, I can't really say much about the NP model, but I do have the PV and I love it. Besides the mags being kinda hard to get, and expensive ( I also stocked up on pv mags ) it's great.

The draw about the NP obviously is that ar mags can be used, so a lot more practical. I'm thinking that the np shoots just as good as the pv.

I guess if the OP has a decent stock of pv mags, go with that one?! Or sell mags? Get np?

I also think that the pv looks better than the np, but looks ain't everything.
View Quote

I listed my 14 mags for sale in the EE and locally and opted to buy the NP out of "practicality", at least relative to a 5.56 10.5" AK pistol.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#3]
One thing I forgot to mention about the np is... that I have heard some reports that it can be mag picky.

Seems to be each one can be a little different in this area also. But again, no experience. Just what I have heard. And for sure not a show stopper.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#4]
love my PV.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:34:13 AM EDT
[#5]
For practicality the NP is the way to go, have one pending a form 1.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:10:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
love my PV.
View Quote

I love your pv too!
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:32:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
love my PV.
View Quote

I'd like one but I'm leaning towards the 85NP at point since I've got 100s of AR mags and 14 of the PV mags.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 1:26:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I love my M85NP pistol a lots, so I SBR it. It shoots very accurate and reliable even the rear sight is terrible. I will figure out how to improve the rear sight picture. May be widen the u notch.

Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I love my M85NP pistol a lots, so I SBR it. It shoots very accurate and reliable even the rear sight is terrible. I will figure out how to improve the rear sight picture. May be widen the u notch.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/travinh007/Rifles/M85NP%2010.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/travinh007/Rifles/M85NP%2011.jpg
View Quote

Very nice!
Yeah, I was very surprised at how accurate my little pv was the first time I shot it. The recoil is so soft n gentle!
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/travinh007/Rifles/M85NP%2010.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/travinh007/Rifles/M85NP%2011.jpg
View Quote

Keep an eye here, as a company is developing a drop-in peep sight for the Yugo:

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272857
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Keep an eye here, as a company is developing a drop-in peep sight for the Yugo:

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272857
View Quote

I just messaged him today in fact trying to nail down a timeframe, but been waiting since July when he first posted about it, so may still be a while.

I opted for the NP as I also have a bunch of AR mags, been an awesome market to buy 'em the last couple years, I bought several batches for 6 bucks a mag or less delivered.

I waited around quite a while to buy one, cost me an extra 100 bucks to do so in fact as I could have gotten the NP last year for 400 instead of the 500 I paid. But I wanted to wait for feedback, a lot of it, especially on that polymer mag adapter. But after reading literally hundreds of posts and reviews from owners that were almost universally positive I went ahead and got it. Solid little pistol, built like a tank, almost a miniature Vepr with the 1.5mm receiver and RPK trunnion.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For practicality the NP is the way to go, have one pending a form 1.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/198239/IMG-0765-131994.JPG
View Quote

Your NP looks awesome. I too am looking for a Yugo underfolder to sbr mine.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
love my PV.
View Quote

thats awesome!
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Shitty picture, but...

Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Is that a troy battlemag? Does it drop free?  I picked up my np yesterday and nothing I have tried will drop free...gi, pmag gen 1?, or tango down mk2. I forgot I had some troy mags I bought a few years ago for dirt cheap until I saw your pic.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Is that a troy battlemag? Does it drop free?  I picked up my np yesterday and nothing I have tried will drop free...gi, pmag gen 1?, or tango down mk2. I forgot I had some troy mags I bought a few years ago for dirt cheap until I saw your pic.
View Quote

It is, and it does but it takes a side-fling to get it out...like one of those fancy AR operator moves where you sling the mag out before the new one gets brought up by your other hand.

The magwell is a little tight but it gets better with use. I don't recall if I tried sanding the inside of the magwell at all but I did do it to an AR magwell once that had tolerance stacking issues; being too small.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks! I need to get out and shoot it ASAP so I can then submit a form 1 for it
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Tell me about the muzzle device
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Tell me about the muzzle device
View Quote

Suppressor mount. Griffin taper mount minimalist...I can use it as a break, as a linear comp with the extra blast shield (like a bulgy 4 piece), or with a suppressor.

ETA; it's using an M26x1.5LH to 1/2x28 adapter with a crush water to attach it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Suppressor mount. Griffin taper mount minimalist...I can use it as a break, as a linear comp with the extra blast shield (like a bulgy 4 piece), or with a suppressor.

ETA; it's using an M26x1.5LH to 1/2x28 adapter with a crush water to attach it.
View Quote

Crush washer is a no-no with a supressor. Need a peel washer
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Crush washer is a no-no with a supressor. Need a peel washer
View Quote

On an AR-15, you are sorta correct.

First; The AR-15 has concentric bore threads/alignment, doesn't use a loose thread adapter, and also has a shelf behind the threads to index the suppressor mount. An AK with a thread adapter...does not. The crush washer is only there to keep it tight on the adapter. It wobbles and is very much not really concentric to the bore so it's no use using a peel washer.

Second; Griffin, and many other suppressor companies, do not need peel washers. SOME companies specify it, others do not. See here from Griffin's own website, mentioning how a crush washer can be used: http://www.griffinarmament.com/product-p/gatmhc556.htm
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top