Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/12/2016 7:58:56 PM EDT
I noticed something when I mocked-up a KAK tube/brace on my new Draco and that is how light the tube/brace is. It makes my Drago way front heavy. Can't say about the mini versions.

[/b]I think I have figured out a solution though.

I took a pug of DuctSeal, used the tube that comes on the Draco's CAI brace, and punched out enough circles of DuctSeal to correspond with the length of the KAK tube. When weighed it was near a pound.

I put a wrap of sandwich wrap around it, rolled it a bit to lessen the diameter and slid it inside the tube. I then screwed it into the CAI brace bracket, slipped on a shockwave, then installed it on the Draco.

It's still a bit front heavy but you would not believe the difference in the balance of the weapon now. I have some 3/8" lead cable sheathing so I might cut some circles of it out and alternate DuctSeal circles with lead ones to get the weight to 1.25 pounds. That should be about perfect as balance is a lot more important than total weight for me.

A lot of times you have to give up something to get something with these types of AK pistols but now balance is not one of them.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 9:01:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Polymer mags help a lot too.

I run a Shockwave on my Draco that is also fitted with a Bulgarian 4 piece. That makes an already front heavy gun worse.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 11:41:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Polymer mags help a lot too.

I run a Shockwave on my Draco that is also fitted with a Bulgarian 4 piece. That makes an already front heavy gun worse.
View Quote

I considered that but with the Hungarian AMD 20 round mags I am going with weigh a tad less loaded than a loaded 30-round polymer Circle 10 waffle mag so I really don't gain anything but ten rounds and "lose" with the two extra inches in mag length. I know it does not seem like a lot but it is for my application.

I just went with a simple slant brake on my Draco. I have a Bulgarian '74 brake that was bored-out to 7.62 then re-chromed but it adds 2.5" to the OAL so it was a non-starter. That and the slant brake makes a more passable "striker".

I want my Draco to take up as little room as possible and be both deployable and manageable inside a vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a mini Draco with an original sig brace and it balances really well. I tried the shockwave (already had one for an AR pistol) and I also felt that it shifted the balance way to far forward. The Shockwave is thinner folded though. The thickness of the SB15 is the main problem. I think the solution might be the new SBM4 brace. I don't know the weight difference,  but I'm assuming its closer to the sig brace and the profile is much thinner.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top