Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/28/2016 11:08:55 AM EDT
I need the help of the collective hive.

I bought a Romanian mini Draco.  I need solid rail mounting options, to mount a red dot.  MI makes a railed forearm, but is it solid enough to hold zero?  Mounting optics on a hand rail is generally a bad idea, but I don't know how solid this rail is either.

There's another company (Texas dog???). That makes a replacement dust cover with a rail.  But that seems like it would move a lot too.

What says the hive?  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I have MI's railed hand guard and it is very solid.  Solid enough to mount an optic.....................however I went with the Texas Weapon System railed dust cover because I like my red-dots much farther back and didn't want my T1 Micro to sit out near the muzzle.  I use the rails on the MI hand guard for a vert grip and hand stop only.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#2]
On an AR I'll always keep my optics on the receiver and not the rail but with my AK I mounted my TRS-25 on my railed handguard and it's held zero fine.

The TWS Dogleg has a pretty good rep on AK rifles so I'd say that's a good option as well. For a small micro red dot I prefer to keep it as far forward as possible so going with a railed handguard or gas tube mount is my preference.

Doesn't Ultimak make a railed gas tube for the Minis? This is probably the cleanest mounting solution...
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On an AR I'll always keep my optics on the receiver and not the rail but with my AK I mounted my TRS-25 on my railed handguard and it's held zero fine.

The TWS Dogleg has a pretty good rep on AK rifles so I'd say that's a good option as well. For a small micro red dot I prefer to keep it as far forward as possible so going with a railed handguard or gas tube mount is my preference.

Doesn't Ultimak make a railed gas tube for the Minis? This is probably the cleanest mounting solution...
View Quote

I could only find the Ultimak for the Draco, not the mini Draco
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:53:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have MI's railed hand guard and it is very solid.  Solid enough to mount an optic.....................however I went with the Texas Weapon System railed dust cover because I like my red-dots much farther back and didn't want my T1 Micro to sit out near the muzzle.  I use the rails on the MI hand guard for a vert grip and hand stop only.
View Quote

I think I'm going to replace the A2 flash hider and add a Troy claymore muzzle break on.  This will add a little length and direct the muzzle blast forward away from my optics.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:16:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Kind of regretting the mini Draco.  I should of went with the regular Draco.  It's hard to find decent optics mounting platforms.  The MI railed forend is nice, but it makes the iron sights useless, so you have to buy BUIS, if you have enough room to mount them with the optic. Ugh!  The Texas dog leg railed dust cover looks nice, but is expensive as hell.

If I want to SBR it, quality adapters to mount stocks are expensive too.  

Not sure which way I want to proceed with this gun
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:24:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Kind of regretting the mini Draco.  I should of went with the regular Draco.  It's hard to find decent optics mounting platforms.  The MI railed forend is nice, but it makes the iron sights useless, so you have to buy BUIS, if you have enough room to mount them with the optic. Ugh!  The Texas dog leg railed dust cover looks nice, but is expensive as hell.

View Quote

Just keep it stock, as a close up fire from the hip mayhem option -- never know when ya might need to pull it from under your trench coat and off all the skinheads in a small room around the poker table and such.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:16:50 PM EDT
[#7]
SLR rifleworks makes a rail for the mini draco that will allow you to cowitness a red dot. Its a little expensive but works great.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 2:13:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
SLR rifleworks makes a rail for the mini draco that will allow you to cowitness a red dot. Its a little expensive but works great.
View Quote

Thanks.  I'll take a look.

I've decided to go with the MI rail and an Aimpoint PRO.  Not sure what I'll do for iron back up.  There is a slot on the rail to use the irons, but they don't co-witness with the red dot sight.  I'll have to look into a QD mount for the PRO.  Though the knob is fairly quick.  Still a "young" project.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just keep it stock, as a close up fire from the hip mayhem option -- never know when ya might need to pull it from under your trench coat and off all the skinheads in a small room around the poker table and such.

- OS
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

I don't wear a trench coat and I try to avoid skinheads and other radicals.  I do like poker though.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#10]
https://www.premiershootingsolutions.com/home.html
Check out this site. It has the AK Master Mount.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top