Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/14/2016 9:42:30 AM EDT
I'm an AR15 guy with very limited knowledge on AK style rifles, but I would like to have an AK.  My plan is for a fixed (probably wood) stock SBR, ~12" barrel with a dedicated suppressor.  

What I'm not really sure on is where to start with a base firearm to create the SBR from.  With the Draco it appears that the rear trunnion can be replaced and a stock added.  If I go with a full size rifle, is the process just to chop the barrel & install a front sight/gas block, or is there more too it than that (gas port etc)?

Talk to me about the pros and cons of going either route - I don't know what I don't know when it comes to AKs so please educate me or provide some links that I should read through.

Some pros and cons that I am already aware of:  I know the Draco would be less expensive overall, but I am concerned with overall build quality and sturdiness of the rear trunnion/stock.  If these concerns are unfounded, please tell me.  When it comes to the full size, I would actually use it while waiting on the stamp whereas the Draco would just sit in the safe after test firing as I wouldn't have much fun shooting it in pistol form.

Other points to consider:  I'm not terribly concerned with cost - I'm not planning on having a $2500 AK, but I will pay for quality.  My factory ARs are BCM and Colt and I would prefer my AK to be in the same quality range relative to the AK world.  I will not be doing the work on either so tools required or ease of mods at home is a non factor.  If I go with a Draco, I'll send it to JBI armory who appears to have done a great job with another forum member's SBR, if I go with a fullsize it will likewise go to a gunsmith once the stamp comes back for the appropriate mods.

Thanks in advance guys.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Secondary question:  since this gun will live with a suppressor, the quality of the barrel threading is important.  Does the Draco ship with threads concentric to the bore, or enough diameter/length in front of the gas block to rethread?
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:20:21 PM EDT
[#2]
With a Draco it will be hit or miss with the threads. If you go this route, I'd check them out before I bought if it's at all feasible.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I did a Draco SBR. Barrel length 12.25, you could also do a PAP which is shorter, the advantage of these is you don't have to worry about the gas system or having to cut down on the piston. I went with the Manticore/Stormwerkz combo, pretty simple. Drill two holes on the trunnion, tap and install. I'm still contemplating getting an actual side folder installed, I'd pay for it since I dont have the tooling/knowledge and would rather pay than screw up a registered SBR. As for the suppressor, you should at least run a wooden dowel through the adapters and barrel to see if everything's concentric before shooting a suppressor and risk getting a baffle strike.

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes.

Link Posted: 9/14/2016 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did a Draco SBR. Barrel length 12.25, you could also do a PAP which is shorter, the advantage of these is you don't have to worry about the gas system or having to cut down on the piston. I went with the Manticore/Stormwerkz combo, pretty simple. Drill two holes on the trunnion, tap and install. I'm still contemplating getting an actual side folder installed, I'd pay for it since I dont have the tooling/knowledge and would rather pay than screw up a registered SBR. As for the suppressor, you should at least run a wooden dowel through the adapters and barrel to see if everything's concentric before shooting a suppressor and risk getting a baffle strike.   <a href="http://s817.photobucket.com/user/VictorCastle/media/image.jpg1_zpsqkkh2shr.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz95/VictorCastle/image.jpg1_zpsqkkh2shr.jpg</a>
View Quote

Just an FYI, the specter gear AK sling with the small stock adapter works great on these.

https://www.spectergear.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=547
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top