Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2016 6:34:47 PM EDT
Well, this happened in a way that I was not planning this morning. I thought I was coming by the shop at 9am to check on progress, but as it turned out, I was there to do the bulk of the work myself. "You didn't think you were coming here to watch us work on YOUR gun, did ya?"

So with the exception of filling the old rivet holes with weld (I suck at welding, especially sheet metal), I got to use their tools and equipment to do the swap myself. They showed me the same hospitality with my Polish underfolder kit, so I am extremely thankful to these folks just for welcoming me into their shop not once, but twice now. They asked the olden days surplus price for the parts, lent me their tools, and we went out to eat afterward. Given the circumstances, I'm just happy to have a fixed stock on my M92 PAP and will get to the cosmetic portion at a later time. Need to do some fitting work on the hardwood stock (anybody know which country it's from?) I ended up picking from the stash, and of course the metal will need to be smoothed out and refinished. But here she is for now.

ETA: Stayed up and finished her.

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 12:19:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice! What did you end up finishing it with?
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:45:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice! What did you end up finishing it with?
View Quote

Medium red mahogany dye and a satin poly for the wood.

Birchwood Casey Super Blue for the metal.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I really like fixed stocks on M92's. Morning_would should have some more of his damned handsome Yugo, but here's a nice tease.

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I really like fixed stocks on M92's. Morning_would should have some more of his damned handsome Yugo, but here's a nice tease.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b341/nm-bound/1439053684_zps5eb89a02.jpg
View Quote

Thought about doing it that way, but decided I'd never be happy without a proper trunnion swap.

I took the stock back off for another coat of poly, and swapped the original black grip back on. Hoping to have some nice outdoor pics tomorrow. It looks so much better with the Yugo grip and BHO mag.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Looking into the same deal on mine. Which reunion did you go with?
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:45:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looking into the same deal on mine. Which reunion did you go with?
View Quote

Pretty sure it's aftermarket Taiwanese, but seems to be as solid and heavy as any other trunnion.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:48:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nice, did the same thing on one of our in house M92's.  Makes for a great compact AK, and looks excellent to boot.  

View Quote

I was this close to putting one of your triangle folders on it. Most likely would have been Plan B if these guys hadn't hooked me up with such a sweet deal with the use of their equipment.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thought about doing it that way, but decided I'd never be happy without a proper trunnion swap.

I took the stock back off for another coat of poly, and swapped the original black grip back on. Hoping to have some nice outdoor pics tomorrow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I took the stock back off for another coat of poly, and swapped the original black grip back on. Hoping to have some nice outdoor pics tomorrow.

Maybe I'm blind but I could swear I'm looking at a proper fixed stock & trunnion. He may have used an M92 kit or something on a virgin receiver but I know for a fact that's all or nearly all of the right parts...?

Quoted:
Nice, did the same thing on one of our in house M92's.  Makes for a great compact AK, and looks excellent to boot.  

Some of these mini rifles are what convinced me to go forward on my own fixed stock mini rifle. In my case, I'll be using a custom rear trunnion for M4 stocks, courtesy of a member on AKFiles, with my Draco twins. The topic is a decent enough read but the real meat and good pictures start showing up on page 3. The twins won't be any kind of traditional though:  UBR 2.0's, TWS Gen 2 handguards, Surefire mini scouts, a yet undecided 1-4x or 1-6x, and 805tony will be finishing up some adjustable front sight gas blocks that will replace the standard ones. I'm trying to convince Thunderbeast to do a couple Ultra 5's in 14x1mm LH. I'm also reaching out to Ops Inc to see if they can do a same thread .30 version of their M4-S.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 10:42:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Maybe I'm blind but I could swear I'm looking at a proper fixed stock & trunnion. He may have used an M92 kit or something on a virgin receiver but I know for a fact that's all or nearly all of the right parts...?

Some of these mini rifles are what convinced me to go forward on my own fixed stock mini rifle. In my case, I'll be using a custom rear trunnion for M4 stocks, courtesy of a member on AKFiles, with my Draco twins. The topic is a decent enough read but the real meat and good pictures start showing up on page 3. The twins won't be any kind of traditional though:  UBR 2.0's, TWS Gen 2 handguards, Surefire mini scouts, a yet undecided 1-4x or 1-6x, and 805tony will be finishing up some adjustable front sight gas blocks that will replace the standard ones. I'm trying to convince Thunderbeast to do a couple Ultra 5's in 14x1mm LH. I'm also reaching out to Ops Inc to see if they can do a same thread .30 version of their M4-S.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, it's screwed to the back of the factory UF trunnion.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll just pop this in here as it is pertinent to PAP stock conversions.

Filled the front holes with rivits, attached a Yugo stock trunion and running a Magpul Yugo stock.  If someone was to make a rear trunion for the PAP's, using a Yugo pattern stock mount and the underfolder rivet pattern would be perfect. But as they are not imported anymore I don't see it happening.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'll just pop this in here as it is pertinent to PAP stock conversions.

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/cyclicm16/IMAG06621_zps4hibiykm.jpg

Filled the front holes with rivits, attached a Yugo stock trunion and running a Magpul Yugo stock.  If someone was to make a rear trunion for the PAP's, using a Yugo pattern stock mount and the underfolder rivet pattern would be perfect. But as they are not imported anymore I don't see it happening.
View Quote

No more PAP M92's?!
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm having trouble getting a consistent coat of polyurethane on this stock, almost like there's oil in the wood or something. Oh well, it's just an AK.

Here's a new pic with the Yugo grip and magazine. I think it looks much better like this.

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks really sharp, makes want to get and SBR another one.

Quoted:
I'm having trouble getting a consistent coat of polyurethane on this stock, almost like there's oil in the wood or something. Oh well, it's just an AK.

Here's a new pic with the Yugo grip and magazine. I think it looks much better like this.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p550/Detrhoyt/20160808_085301_zpsuxoob083.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b341/nm-bound/1439053684_zps5eb89a02.jpg
View Quote

I appreciate the props. I went down the rabbit hole 1 more time with mine and this is how it reappeared. OP, your's looks fantastic all finished up.

Link Posted: 8/10/2016 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#16]
morning_would, great looking gun, where did you get that grip from?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is probably some incompatibility between the finishes. If you use a barrier coat of dewaxed shellac (Zinsser Seal Coat) it will solve your problems.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top