Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/4/2016 12:21:26 AM EDT
It says the pivot pin is 4.5, is the Draco 5.5 ? I haven't ordered the stock yet, but time is of the essence since they only have a couple left. I don't know if they'll ever get more. Is it a difficult install ? I have a Stormwerks/ Manticore combo on there now and it's not bad, but always prefered the real side folder. Wouldn't mind some advice from those of you who regularly build AK'S.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 12:48:59 AM EDT
[#1]
The triangle side folder will require quite a bit of work. The rivets need to be ground off and removed for the rear trunnion to be replaced with the side folder trunnion, the receiver needs to be machined to accept the new trunnion, new trunnion needs to be riveted to receiver, front trunnion needs removal and reinstallation after matching for the locking mechanism.

It's best to get a smith who knows AKs (especially this procedure) to do it. I'm in the process of doing just this. The labor for the conversion is looking to be about $400, give or take. Plus what I paid for the stock, trunnion and hardware
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 1:08:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The triangle side folder will require quite a bit of work. The rivets need to be ground off and removed for the rear trunnion to be replaced with the side folder trunnion, the receiver needs to be machined to accept the new trunnion, new trunnion needs to be riveted to receiver, front trunnion needs removal and reinstallation after matching for the locking mechanism.

It's best to get a smith who knows AKs (especially this procedure) to do it. I'm in the process of doing just this. The labor for the conversion is looking to be about $400, give or take. Plus what I paid for the stock, trunnion and hardware

View Quote
Did you mean rear or do you really mean front trunnion ? What does the front trunnion have to do with the rear ?
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Not on a Draco but the process would be similar  Sidefolding triangle stock install
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Did you mean rear or do you really mean front trunnion ? What does the front trunnion have to do with the rear ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Usually both trunnions need to be removed. The rear trunnion on a Draco pistol is a pistol trunnion and needs to be replaced with the side folder trunnion after the receiver is machined to accept it. The front trunnion usually needs to be removed so the latch mechanism space can be machined and the mechanism installed. Then the front trunnion can be replaced. This isn't really necessary as some places do it without removing it, but it makes it much more difficult

Oh I also forgot to mention that after the old rear trunnion is removed, the old holes from the rivets need to be welded up and new holes drilled for the new trunnion as the hole patterns don't match
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not on a Draco but the process would be similar  Sidefolding triangle stock install
View Quote

This is exactly what I was looking at when contemplating doing it myself.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It says the pivot pin is 4.5, is the Draco 5.5 ? I haven't ordered the stock yet, but time is of the essence since they only have a couple left. I don't know if they'll ever get more. Is it a difficult install ? I have a Stormwerks/ Manticore combo on there now and it's not bad, but always prefered the real side folder. Wouldn't mind some advice from those of you who regularly build AK'S.
View Quote

Since the Draco never came with either a 4.5 or 5.5 triangle stock either one would work. They both require the same amount of work to install on a fixed stock receiver, which the Draco receiver essentially is. You don't need to remove the front trunnion to machine for the front stock latch on an AKM or AK-74 front trunnion. It's only really needed on Yugo pattern front trunnions. If it's something that you're going to undertake yourself, take your time. I've seen more than one messed up receiver from people attempting it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 12:37:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Going to call AK USA, there here in Florida, Ft. Myers to be exact. If he can do it, I'll see if I can make a road trip out of it to drop it off.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 1:18:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Their is a guy on eBay selling complete Russian  stock sets for $215 shipped which includes thentrunnion and all hardware.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Their is a guy on eBay selling complete Russian  stock sets for $215 shipped which includes thentrunnion and all hardware.
View Quote

Damn! A good deal
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link please? I'm rather fond of my triangle folder and wouldn't mind one on the next baby AK I get.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Link please? I'm rather fond of my triangle folder and wouldn't mind one on the next baby AK I get.
View Quote

Folding Stock

This guy has both solid and triangle you just have to let him know when you buy which one you want.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top