Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2016 10:37:01 AM EDT
I am looking to start my next project, an SBR'd AK in 7.62..

I was thinking of waiting for Atlantic to get the Arsenal 107-51 back in stock, and then just cut the barrel down.

However, after seeing these pictures below, which aren't mine of a Draco with the SLR rail....Well, its perfect in my eyes, rail length, barrel length, AR buttstock...

But Ive always been turned off when it came to Century AND their Romanian imports.....And to top it off, putting EXTRA money into one especially when it comes to making it an NFA item.....

Am I crazy for thinking of dropping money into a Draco? To me I feel like its throwing money on a turd, and no Im not trying to sound like an elitist for those who DO have draco's...Just, hesitant..

Is my concern unwarranted?

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Understand your concerns, but if its a lemon from Romania, Century gets a lemon....i'd just make sure you don't accept the FFL transfer if it looks/functions improperly.  Me, I've had great luck with my Romanian guns.  Did a SBR draco see below.  Its a joy to shoot

" />
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Century doesn't touch their ak pistol imports at all, 922r doesn't apply to pistols so Century doesn't have to add compliance parts.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Century doesn't touch their ak pistol imports at all, 922r doesn't apply to pistols so Century doesn't have to add compliance parts.
View Quote

I understand Century does not touch them, hence the AND however, I would expect them to visually check the rifles they import and distribute for lemons. Maybe asking for too much of them. However, when such rifles are associated with Century Arms. I.e.  WASR's and DRACOs and lemons, it obviously creates a negative connotation with Century. JMO.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Dracos are the closest thing to an actual mil-spec AK that we get imported to the US. It is an incomplete AIMS-R carbine / PM md. 63 that skips the third hole, swaps the full auto FCG for a semi auto FCG, subs in an underfolder trunnion (sometimes drilled, sometimes not), and is imported as a 'pistol'.

Of the AKs I've handled and including the ones I own, one of my Dracos is as finely finished as my well-made kit gun and is actually smoother than my same caliber VEPR; it's only knock is a tight mag well. My other Draco is... rough. Trigger is rough, carrier movement is rough, mag well is damned perfect though. Going to need to do some work on that one. I might use it as an excuse to swap the RSB with another Sabrewerks KOP one.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I understand Century does not touch them, hence the AND however, I would expect them to visually check the rifles they import and distribute for lemons. Maybe asking for too much of them. However, when such rifles are associated with Century Arms. I.e.  WASR's and DRACOs and lemons, it obviously creates a negative connotation with Century. JMO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the only real negative reviews about Century as of late, are their US produced rifles (RAS47 or C39). If you was something QC inspected buy from Atlantic Firearms. I always suggest running 200-300 rounds through the pistol before filing your form 1, any real issues should present itself then.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

the only real negative reviews about Century as of late, are their US produced rifles (RAS47 or C39). If you was something QC inspected buy from Atlantic Firearms. I always suggest running 200-300 rounds through the pistol before filing your form 1, any real issues should present itself then.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Atlantic is where I am going to buy from
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:30:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I love my Draco SBR and don't regret putting the money into it.  Super fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I honestly don't think there is too much to be concerned about when buying a Draco from a reputable place like Atlantic.  I just don't know if i've jumped on the Arsenal bus yet after I had a less than stellar experience with my SGL31.  My AK experience is somewhat limited but I have owned several: 3 WASRs, NPAP, SGL31, converted Saiga in 762, Arsenal SLR95 (obviously not the same Arsenal as we think of today but still a bulgarian made rifle), Norinco 56s-1, and my Draco underfolder.  The Draco I own seems to be constructed as well as any I have used maybe with the exception of the SLR95, and I was probably most disappointed in my SGL31 (but it did function and that what really matters in the end).  I'm not saying that my experience is typical, just saying that there are no guarantees in the US AK market IMO.  I wish I had solid accuracy data for my Draco but you can prob expect 3-5MOA depending on ammo choice.  You are losing 3-4" off the barrel with the SLR107 but it could still be more accurate, I just don't know.  The Draco's muzzle nut is held on by a tack weld but that is a 15sec dremel job and i had to slightly bend the front of the top cover up to tighten the fit some but as far as rivets, alignment, and overall fit/function it was great.  If something is really wrong with it I'm confident that it will be handled.  After buying the stock adapter/tube/stock you are still going to have $700-800 to use on optics, rails, or whatever before you even hit the base price of the SLR107 and i just don't see the justification for all that extra money when it comes to the function of the rifle.  If you don't care for the "krink" style, you think buying a CAI product will put you on anxiety meds, and you are set on spending the money on an arsenal, you can get the SLR 107cr and have it cut down into something that is closer to the Draco's configuration.  I think I have about 1k in my Draco including the UF conversion work and stamp and I've been really happy with it so far.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#9]
SLR makes a m92 rail also. I love my PAP so much in SBRing a second one. Even considering a third...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Ended up ordering an Arsenal SLR104-51 krink.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top