Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/27/2015 12:38:27 AM EDT
Hey all,

I've got a quick question.

Right now I have an SAR1 that I haven't used very much at all.  At some point when I get the extra money saved up to get a Trust drawn up and filed plus the $200 Fun Tax, I would like to get an AK SBR.

What I am wondering is if it is less expensive and less hassle to just buy an AK Pistol and then when the paperwork comes back, simply add the stock to it........

OR

Cut the barrel back on my SAR1 and replace the stock on it to get to the AK SBR when the approval comes in.

Naturally it LOOKS like the AK Pistol is the much easier way to go and would cost much less too.  I don't have tools to cut a barrel back so I'd have to send that out to have done.  Even though this might be the easiest and least expensive route, would I end up with a better SBR if I converted the SAR1?  Quality wise is the SAR1 the better choice?

Which way would you go if you were going to get an AK SBR at some point in the future?

Thanks for the help and your time.

Nalajr
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:49:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What I am wondering is if it is less expensive and less hassle to just buy an AK Pistol and then when the paperwork comes back, simply add the stock to it........
View Quote

Correct
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Correct
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct

+2 OP,

Northbridge and I both went the Draco pistol to SBR route.  I would hesitate to cut up a nice AKM like a SAR1. I like my SAR1 too much to change it up.  

IMHO, I'd either have a fixed stock trunion installed in a Draco variant, or add a hinge and Manticore triangle stock and call it good.

The M92's are nice but, keep in mind the rear of the receiver isn't 90degrees/square, the furniture is proprietary, and they lack a chrome lined bbl.

HTH

ETA- I would see quality as equal between a SAR1 or even possibly a bit nicer cosmetically on a newer Draco/WASRS etc. The Romanians finally seem to have stepped up their game with regard to finishing their guns and QC.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, In my opinion a Pistol is the easiest way to go when it comes to an SBR.  I currently have 11 of them in various calibers, and only 2 started out as rifles.  Cutting down the rifles were much more of a pain in the ass then just adding stocks to the pistols.

Here is my Mini Draco SBR.  Took me 1/2 hour to install the stock.  Got a folding hinge and billet aluminum triangular stock from Manticore Arms, drilled and taped the back of the receiver, bolted on the hinge and stock and was ready to rock-N-roll in no time.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Depending on what length and what type of stock you want, it might be easier to start with a rifle than a pistol.

I have several AK sbrs and I put them all together myself. The shortest is a mini draco with an underfolder. It wasn't expensive or difficult to add, but it is not the most favorite type of stock. I like it for what it is, but that's my preference.

If you like a more modern adjustable AR type stock, those are pretty easy to add. A more traditional folding triangle stock is quite a bit more work, especially if you want it to look nice and operate correctly. In that case, it would far easier to start with something like an Arsenal SLR 107-64.

Then you can cut the barrel. It is possible to purchase crowning and rethreading tools online from Dave Mason or places like CNC Warrior. I've used mine on a couple dozen rifles over the years, so the upfront cost per rifle ended up being just a few dollars. But even if you got a gunsmith to cut, crown, and rethread the barrel, it would still be far cheaper than paying him to install the folding stock.

So there's not one correct answer. It really depends on what you want the final gun to be and what you're going to use it for.

Az
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#5]
MadDog is that a QD sling attachment you have screwed in to your Stormwerks hinge? If so where did you get it? Great looking Mini Draco!
Quoted:
Yep, In my opinion a Pistol is the easiest way to go when it comes to an SBR.  I currently have 11 of them in various calibers, and only 2 started out as rifles.  Cutting down the rifles were much more of a pain in the ass then just adding stocks to the pistols.

Here is my Mini Draco SBR.  Took me 1/2 hour to install the stock.  Got a folding hinge and billet aluminum triangular stock from Manticore Arms, drilled and taped the back of the receiver, bolted on the hinge and stock and was ready to rock-N-roll in no time.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/MadDogDan/media/DSC00448_zps130ca7d4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/DSC00448_zps130ca7d4.jpg</a>
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#6]
start with this thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/151808__ARCHIVED_THREAD____The_Draco_Project____complete.html&page=1
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
MadDog is that a QD sling attachment you have screwed in to your Stormwerks hinge? If so where did you get it? Great looking Mini Draco!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/MadDogDan/media/DSC00448_zps130ca7d4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/DSC00448_zps130ca7d4.jpg</a>

Looks like the Ace hinge.

One of my Dracos has an Ace hinge with a Magpul QD attachment.

OP, save the SAR and get a pistol to SBR.  Between the Draco (and its smaller cousins) and the M92/85, plenty of options to choose from.  Not to mention a lot of stocks/hinges to choose from, to say nothing of the option to cut out and replace the rear trunnion and add a fixed stock if you want to.

I'd say go with the full size Draco, but I'm biased.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:09:59 AM EDT
[#8]
My opinion is to buy a pistol and SBR it.  For about the same cost as mod'ing a rifle, you can now have two firearms.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Depending on what length and what type of stock you want, it might be easier to start with a rifle than a pistol.

I have several AK sbrs and I put them all together myself. The shortest is a mini draco with an underfolder. It wasn't expensive or difficult to add, but it is not the most favorite type of stock. I like it for what it is, but that's my preference.

If you like a more modern adjustable AR type stock, those are pretty easy to add. A more traditional folding triangle stock is quite a bit more work, especially if you want it to look nice and operate correctly. In that case, it would far easier to start with something like an Arsenal SLR 107-64.

http://i60.tinypic.com/1zfmvid.png

Then you can cut the barrel. It is possible to purchase crowning and rethreading tools online from Dave Mason or places like CNC Warrior. I've used mine on a couple dozen rifles over the years, so the upfront cost per rifle ended up being just a few dollars. But even if you got a gunsmith to cut, crown, and rethread the barrel, it would still be far cheaper than paying him to install the folding stock.

So there's not one correct answer. It really depends on what you want the final gun to be and what you're going to use it for.

Az
View Quote

I used a Dave Manson crowning kit on my 104UR after carefully chopping with a brand new hack saw blade and had 100% great results.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:09:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kcray,

I purchased the QD cup directly from Magpul and bolted it to the stormworks hinge.  The Stormworks hinge is already threaded but the bolt that came with the cup was the wrong thread.  Ace Hardware had the correct button head bolt for about .45 cents.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you all for your help and advice, I appreciate it.

I am glad to hear that the pistol route would be the easiest way for me to go....and least expensive too.  The reason I asked the question in the first place is that I didn't know if the pistol version would require extensive modifications to get the stock I would want mounted to it.  Modifications that I could not do and would need to send it out.  Now that I know they don't, relatively speaking, I think I am going to start saving.  I saw one the other day at my local shop and I think I'll go back and talk to them and handle it.  I've never even handled one.

Thanks again for the info.

Nalajr
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:17:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Correct
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct

That's what I did
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://i60.tinypic.com/1zfmvid.png

Az
View Quote

A lot of people over estimate the difficulty of the DIY barrel cut and crown.  I did mine with some CNC warrior tools and a hack saw.  Piece of cake.  I actually think it is easier to cut a barrel (of course you gotta start with the right host rifle that won't need barrel parts moved) than it is to add a stock to a pistol.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#14]
import pistols are the highest quality AKs you can buy for less than $900.   Meanwhile, by today's standards your SAR1 is a high quality AK.  

I keep the SAR1 and buy a pistol to SBR.   if you only want one AK, sell the SAR1 for $600 plus.   You should be able to get the pistol, stock and gunsmith work if needed covered by the sale.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Draco's are back on the market for good prices right now.

Get one of those and form 1 it. It's essentially a SAR-1 with the combo fsb/gb. For a stock you can drill / tap the back plate for numerous folding options.

Mine is at JBI Armory now waiting on a trunion swap to allow the use of standard fixed stocks. Once it gets done I'll post pics.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Get one of those and form 1 it. It's essentially a SAR-1 with the combo fsb/gb. For a stock you can drill / tap the back plate for numerous folding options.

Mine is at JBI Armory now waiting on a trunion swap to allow the use of standard fixed stocks. Once it gets done I'll post pics.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o733/CAJva1/a3f157f62d162965f69386834512822813fbb356755da9d5d5266fecc31cf60b_zpsmmyul4c0.jpg

yes I am too, getting towards the end of the projected time for the work to be done. hopefully I'll get a call any day now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#18]
+1 on the Draco.  I went the M92 way and then got a Draco.  I prefer the Draco, with the rear trunion changed out to a standard one, so I can put on an East German side folding stock and furnature.  The Draco feels better in my hands, compared to the M92.  My holy grail would be an Arsenal 7.62x39mm stamped receiver Kirnk pistol to SBR (I do not like the current milled pistol).
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
+1 on the Draco.  I went the M92 way and then got a Draco.  I prefer the Draco, with the rear trunion changed out to a standard one, so I can put on an East German side folding stock and furnature.  The Draco feels better in my hands, compared to the M92.  My holy grail would be an Arsenal 7.62x39mm stamped receiver Kirnk pistol to SBR (I do not like the current milled pistol).
View Quote

Pics?
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top