Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/22/2015 1:39:05 PM EDT
I'm really wanting to get a SBR which takes AK47 magazines.  Since I live in WA, and can't built it myself due to our laws, I've been trying to decide how to proceed.

Since I figure that I'm pretty much stuck with it once I get it, I really want it to be the best it can.

One thing I'm considering, is converting a Norinco Hunter that I have.  I don't care about making a correct Valmet/Galil clone with it, but I thought that it could be an excellent starting point for a nice milled receiver SBR.

Was thinking I could have the barrel cut back to right behind the current gas port.

Then I could just pick up a Gasblock/front sight combo like this for $35 Cheap Gas Block
Then I'd need a new short gas piston.  Figure on a m92 or AMD or something along those lines.  
Then use a ultimac topcover.
Figure on a VZ58 side folder
Probably a manticore handguard as well.

Was thinking that this would make a pretty good package for a very unique, but functional SBR.  

So, am I crazy?  Parts would run me around $250ish. Then figure a couple hundred to a gunsmith to assemble it and register it. Then $200 to transfer it back to me.  Seems like I'd still be considerably under the $1,500+ it seems all SBR'd AK's are going for these days.

Here's what a standard Norinco hunter looks like. (not mine)
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd think that would have the makings of a cool SBR. That said, I'd think that Snapping up a Galil parts kit would yield the biggest portion of the parts you'd need to include a gas block, sights, and a solid folding stock. Matt Yeamans would be a good person to contact for work that might be beyond you as he is in the Pacific NW.

http://www.mygunsnorthwest.com/

No affiliation but, he did an outstanding job of installing a fixed stock trunion in the back end of my Draco SBR for a modest price with very quick turnaround.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#2]
A micro galil or even a regular galil kit would be cool. Like the guy above  said it would get you the fs/gb,  good stock, and other parts you might want to use. Your on the right track though even if you dont want a micro galil clone. You could pick a amd65 or draco piston and hanguards/ultimak and just get barrel chopped and the  gas port re drilled in the new location.

I did something similar. I wanted an sbr ak in 5.45. I already had two krinks in 556 and 762 so i was thinking about an ak105 but a little shorter. I ended up having a bulgy ak74 side folder kit built. I used the original barrel but instead used a bulgy fs/gb combo, amd65 piston and an ultimak that was cut down to fit. Turned out great!!!!

And plus one for Matt he didnthe machine work and installed the 100 seris side folder on my 106u pistol. Very reasonable and quick turn around!

James
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Too much work.  

Why not start with an M92?
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Too much work.  

View Quote

I agree. You may be underestimating the cost you will be paying to a smith. Unless you can do the work yourself I would look for a simpler starting point. What could you sell the Hunter for?
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:36:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I agree. You may be underestimating the cost you will be paying to a smith. Unless you can do the work yourself I would look for a simpler starting point. What could you sell the Hunter for?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Too much work.  

I have considered the M92,  and that may well bee  what I end up getting.  My thought was that the Norinco Hunter is a better quality gun, and since I'm going to be keeping it forever, I'd like to get the best quality I could.

Unfortunately, complete microgalil parts kits are $1000ish.  Blackthorn has a microgalil parts kit without the folding stock for 399.  I might try asking them if they'd sell it without the barrel and FGC for less.  Then go with the manticore or a vz58 folder.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 2:20:41 PM EDT
[#6]
What is the ID of the gas block/front sight you would use? What is the OD of your Hunter barrel? Correct gas port diameter? If you do not have a "pattern" to go by the little things may be big things. Not trying to discourage you, one-offs are neat, but other peoples' time may be costly to get it right. Personally I would only attempt a project like this if I had the time and tools to do the work myself.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have considered the M92,  and that may well bee  what I end up getting.  My thought was that the Norinco Hunter is a better quality gun, and since I'm going to be keeping it forever, I'd like to get the best quality I could.

Unfortunately, complete microgalil parts kits are $1000ish.  Blackthorn has a microgalil parts kit without the folding stock for 399.  I might try asking them if they'd sell it without the barrel and FGC for less.  Then go with the manticore or a vz58 folder.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Too much work.  

What about cutting down a MAK-90?  You can get nice stock set from Ironwood Designs.  And you can still pick up the rifle on gun broker for around 500ish.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top