Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/2/2015 2:24:09 AM EDT
I just got my new m85 pistol last week. I shot it yesterday at my house, 30 rounds from from a pmag,  not one issue.

Took it to my dad's place to show it off and it jams 3 or 4 times a magazine. Used 3 different ones.

The jam is failure to extract the cartridge from the chamber. The cartridge has has a small scuff where the extractor slipped off. The cartridge that's stuck in the chamber, really isn't stuck I can pull it out with my fingernail or by pulling out the mag and recycling the bolt it pops right out.

Pistol still jammed even after wire brushing the chamber.

The extractor on the bolt looks ok. Has spring pressure. Holds a shell in it to that I can't pull it out of it.

Anything else I can do or is anyone experiencing the same issues?

The ammo each firing was the same brand American Eagle xm193.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a new production M85NP but have not shot it yet, hopefully I can within the next few weeks.

I have heard that the M85 series, since it's built to tighter tolerances, may need to 'open up' by shooting a bunch and lubing it up well....not sure of those claims.

Can you manually load a round from a magazine, and does it eject when you charge the handle back by hand? Or does it only do this under fire?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a new production M85NP but have not shot it yet, hopefully I can within the next few weeks.

I have heard that the M85 series, since it's built to tighter tolerances, may need to 'open up' by shooting a bunch and lubing it up well....not sure of those claims.

Can you manually load a round from a magazine, and does it eject when you charge the handle back by hand? Or does it only do this under fire?
View Quote

Seems to be only from firing.

I did some comparing with my other AKs and it appears the extractor spring is weaker on the m85 than my other variants. I am undecided if I should hit the pin out and check it myself or contact century about it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I did some comparing with my other AKs and it appears the extractor spring is weaker on the m85 than my other variants. I am undecided if I should hit the pin out and check it myself or contact century about it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it DOES properly cycle rounds when you charge it by hand?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Any chance you have fired a mix of brass and steel cased ammo?

The steel case tends to get the chamber dirtier.. so when you try to shoot brass cased without really cleaning the chamber.. you can get failures to extract.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah. When it jams there's always a new round stuck smashed into the casing in the chamber. Drop the mag, clear that stuck round, and re bolt it, it will pull that case out of the chamber. It's not short cycling or the case wouldn't make it into the chamber or try to grab another round.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:06:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Any chance you have fired a mix of brass and steel cased ammo?

The steel case tends to get the chamber dirtier.. so when you try to shoot brass cased without really cleaning the chamber.. you can get failures to extract.
View Quote

Nope all brand new brass American Eagle from same 150 bulk box. Chamber doesn't seem dirty as I brushed it and the stuck case pulls out with my fingernail. Has to be the extractor or the spring. I think I will call century on Monday or Tuesday if not tomorrow and see what they say.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:07:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like the rifle is over gassed, and the extractor is slipping off the case because the bolt & carrier are moving too quickly.

My M85 does the same thing when shooting with a suppressor (suppressor creates more back pressure, and thus more bolt speed.)

You can probably get around it in the short term by shooting lower velocity ammo.

A Wolff extra power recoil spring will probably address the symptoms (thats what I did for my M85) but the long term fix would be to close up the gas port a little bit.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 1:27:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sounds like the rifle is over gassed, and the extractor is slipping off the case because the bolt & carrier are moving too quickly.

My M85 does the same thing when shooting with a suppressor (suppressor creates more back pressure, and thus more bolt speed.)

You can probably get around it in the short term by shooting lower velocity ammo.

A Wolff extra power recoil spring will probably address the symptoms (thats what I did for my M85) but the long term fix would be to close up the gas port a little bit.
View Quote

I will definitely try that, the reasoning makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:17:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I had the same issue when shooting 5.56 ammo out of my 106cr.  The wolf spring fixed it for me.  Good luck.  David
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Marking this to learn the outcome.  I kinda like these pistols.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I've run a mix in mine (steel and brass) and the only hang up I had was with the plastic stock mag. Went to the steel mags, no problem.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#12]
The overgas makes short barreled guns to unlock to earlier. Wolf extra spring will just mask the problem, in the end you will have broken extractor claw. Try to remove booster, and fire it. If all works OK, next I would open booster to a larger diameter.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The overgas makes short barreled guns to unlock to earlier. Wolf extra spring will just mask the problem, in the end you will have broken extractor claw. Try to remove booster, and fire it. If all works OK, next I would open booster to a larger diameter.
View Quote

The extractor claw is pretty stout.  It's not very likely to break unless the rifle were significantly over gassed.

The proper fix would be to reduce the size of the gas port.  Opening the booster would also just mask the problem.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree, reducing gas port size would be a better fix, but it is not the most simple and economical fix. Opening booster will not mask the problem, it will fix it to some degree if not completely in a semi-auto gun.

Quoted:

The extractor claw is pretty stout.  It's not very likely to break unless the rifle were significantly over gassed.

The proper fix would be to reduce the size of the gas port.  Opening the booster would also just mask the problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#15]
That gun should run 100%.

It ain't your job to spend a bunch of time and money on shotgun troubleshooting until it works.

Send it back and make Century give you different one,
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I shot it without the booster, same issue.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 1:07:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Well i called the warranty phone number and the lady told me to email them. Sounds like the run around already,  but i will shoot the gun again and take some pics to include with the email.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 3:23:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I agree, reducing gas port size would be a better fix, but it is not the most simple and economical fix. Opening booster will not mask the problem, it will fix it to some degree if not completely in a semi-auto gun.
View Quote

Opening the booster does mask the problem, because it doesn't address the root issue of the gas port.  Its probably moot, since the OP says it doesn't cycle without the booster either.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just got my new m85 pistol last week. I shot it yesterday at my house, 30 rounds from from a pmag,  not one issue.

Took it to my dad's place to show it off and it jams 3 or 4 times a magazine. Used 3 different ones.

The jam is failure to extract the cartridge from the chamber. The cartridge has has a small scuff where the extractor slipped off. The cartridge that's stuck in the chamber, really isn't stuck I can pull it out with my fingernail or by pulling out the mag and recycling the bolt it pops right out.

Pistol still jammed even after wire brushing the chamber.

The extractor on the bolt looks ok. Has spring pressure. Holds a shell in it to that I can't pull it out of it.

Anything else I can do or is anyone experiencing the same issues?

The ammo each firing was the same brand American Eagle xm193.
View Quote

I'm having the EXACT same issue, OP.  After the first 200 rounds of brass cased .223 ammo (coincidentally, American Eagle), I had zero malfunctions.  I have to say, it's a damn fun thing to shoot.

After changing out the FCG for a Tapco G2 and switching to Wolf .223 steel cased ammo, I was getting the occasional FTE.  Okay, dirty chamber, right?  After thoroughly cleaning the pistol, I went back to the range only to find it was having the occasional FTE with steel cased AND brass cased ammo.  I also thought the extractor might be the problem.

I've since switched back to the original FCG, but have yet to get to the range to test it out.  Hopefully I'll get there this weekend.  If I do, I'll post an update.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Did you solve your problems yet, OP?  

I took my M85NP out today with the original FCG installed and had zero malfunctions after about 300 rounds, using a variety of both brass and steel cased ammo.  I'm curious if the FCG you're using is the original Yugo version, a Tapco G2 or something else.

Incidentally, I'm in no way bashing on the G2 trigger group.  I've used it without issue in several other AK style weapons and it's been my go-to FCG until the M85NP.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:24:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Shot my M85NP today with about 100 rounds of brass and 62grn wolf...no malfunctions.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:53:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Havent shot it again been raining or busy. I need to take a few pics of it and email to century.

Gun is all stock.

How stout is your extractor? Mine i can easily manipulate/spread it with my fingers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I put 100 more rounds through the M85 today...had a few malfunctions but they were due to the USGI 20 round I was using.

Ammo is wolf steel cased 62grn...with the USGI 20 round it would randomly fail to strip a new round from the magazine and double fed once.

I switched to a PMAG halfway through and no more malfunctions occurred.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#24]
mine is brand new, fired 60 rounds through it, jams in two different mags. brass and steel cased. is there a fix for this or do I just have to break it in?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:34:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
mine is brand new, fired 60 rounds through it, jams in two different mags. brass and steel cased. is there a fix for this or do I just have to break it in?
View Quote

Did you try a PMAG?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Well last week i test fired it again.

30 rounds zqi ammo. Not one hiccup

Maybe 50 to 60 rounds of same american eagle it was jamming like crazy before but this time 2 jams. Both jams occurred within first 10 rounds. Same deal, case still in chamber will come out effortlessly with my fingernail. Have video of that.

20 rounds carl gustav surplus. 1 jam, it actually ripped the case neck off partially.

I have a video and pics just dont know how to post them. Can anyone atleast do the pics?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Sign up for photobucket.com and host them there, then copy the URL it gives you on here.

You can do short videos there too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Is it ejecting violently or hardly at all? - When a system is over gassed you can sometimes rip a case apart usually at the rim because its opening so fast the case hasn't fully contracting from the pressure pulse of the ignition.  If its short stroking or weak extraction it could be its not pulling  out the case enough and then its pushing it back into the chamber sometimes denting the case in the process.

Have you tried some Tula ammo?  Its lower velocity 223, if it works better with Tula ammo iit might be a sign its over gassed and prefers to operate with the lower pressure ammo.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
When a system is over gassed you can sometimes rip a case apart usually at the rim because its opening so fast
View All Quotes
Quoted:
When a system is over gassed you can sometimes rip a case apart usually at the rim because its opening so fast

Quoted:
20 rounds carl gustav surplus. 1 jam, it actually ripped the case neck off partially.

As stated, this is confirmation that the rifle is over gassed.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top