BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/25/2015 12:21:03 PM EDT
Being fairly mechanically inclined, I rushed the prep work for my Stormwerx hinge and miss-drilled the holes.  This lead to oversizing and adding nuts to the inside, but the buttstock still wiggles regardless of how much torque is applied.  

I've contemplated just welding up the holes and re-drilling, but I figured replacing the rear trunion might just be easier.  After Google searching for abit, I stumbled across a rear trunion that has tapped holes on the sides to replace the rivets, but I promptly lost the web page that sold them.  Is anyone familiar with a rear trunion that can be bolted in instead of riveted?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly, I would try to secure the first one before taking that drastic step.    Can the hinge be welded on?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:50:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you go with the next size larger tap and use bigger bolts?  Pictures of the back of the trunion would be helpful.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#4]
fill holes with JB weld the bolt it on and let sit.  It will be rock solid
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you go with the next size larger tap and use bigger bolts?  Pictures of the back of the trunion would be helpful.
View Quote

I tried upsizing the holes and taps, but was limited by the location of the hinge slots.  I keep kicking myself for not noticing that the drill was walking...
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Hinge is aluminum and rear trunion is steel so no they can't be welded together.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honestly, I would try to secure the first one before taking that drastic step.    Can the hinge be welded on?

Hinge is aluminum and rear trunion is steel so no they can't be welded together.

Love the Triangle stock by the way! I'll probably be ordering another hinge too sometime soon as this one is taking a beating with the constant re-torques.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Find someone who can GTAW (TiG) weld and weld the holes then anneal the welds.
Will be a lot easier to drill and tap being annealed.
Did you spot drill before the drill?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Find someone who can GTAW (TiG) weld and weld the holes then anneal the welds.
Will be a lot easier to drill and tap being annealed.
Did you spot drill before the drill?
View Quote

I drilled a pilot hole, but it wasn't in the right location and the difference was exagerated whe I final drilled it.  Funny thing is, I was a first class fitter/welder in another life and never would have scewed something this simple up while on the clock.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Can you put a backing plate on the inside?    There's gotta be a better way.    

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I managed to get nuts on the back side, but due to (I think) the curvature of the trunion, it won't torque down solid. It will get really snug, but after a few rounds I'll notice that the hinge/stock has rotated and gotten loose. Loctite doesn't help either.

Being pretty new to AK's I've never removed a trunion. Is it more indepth than just removing 2 rivets?  
Getting the rivets out is no sweat, but I no longer have access to a press or dies to form the heads.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#11]
If you fill the holes, re-drill, & re-thread, make sure the bolts that come with the new hinge are long enough.  When I got my Stormworx hinge the screws were only too short and only about three threads were engaged.  It was obvious that the bolt would have pulled the threads out of the trumion.  A trip to Ace Hardware and .80 cents later and the job was done.  Just needed screws 3/16" longer so they went all the way threw the trunion.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I managed to get nuts on the back side, but due to (I think) the curvature of the trunion, it won't torque down solid. It will get really snug, but after a few rounds I'll notice that the hinge/stock has rotated and gotten loose. Loctite doesn't help either.

Being pretty new to AK's I've never removed a trunion. Is it more indepth than just removing 2 rivets?  
Getting the rivets out is no sweat, but I no longer have access to a press or dies to form the heads.
View Quote

You can drill the rivets (very carefully), but it's not always as easy as it sounds.  I've disassembled a few, and I wouldn't be eager to perform it on a receiver I needed to re-use.    Installing the new rear trunnion rivets is nearly impossible, unless you have the correct rivet squeezer.    You really don't want to reinstall it with bolts.   It can be done, but you'll never be happy with it.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:23:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you fill the holes, re-drill, & re-thread, make sure the bolts that come with the new hinge are long enough.  When I got my Stormworx hinge the screws were only too short and only about three threads were engaged.  It was obvious that the bolt would have pulled the threads out of the trumion.  A trip to Ace Hardware and .80 cents later and the job was done.  Just needed screws 3/16" longer so they went all the way threw the trunion.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip. My hinge originally came with screws long enough to clear the trunion threads and a nut as well, but added material from welding may very well come into play.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You can drill the rivets (very carefully), but it's not always as easy as it sounds.  I've disassembled a few, and I wouldn't be eager to perform it on a receiver I needed to re-use.    Installing the new rear trunnion rivets is nearly impossible, unless you have the correct rivet squeezer.    You really don't want to reinstall it with bolts.   It can be done, but you'll never be happy with it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was hoping I could find something like this http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/css-int-blk.htm that would work for an M92, but it's looking more and more like a weld job.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:58:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

go over to the AK files forum. There is a guy on there that sells 5 degree wedges that 'fix' the slant in the back of M92s. When you buy one of his wedges, it comes with a piece of machined steel that fits the curvature on the inside of the trunnion and it has two holes drilled/tapped through it that are compatible with your hinge. Basically a 1 piece 'nut' that is designed to fit that curvature.

Problem solved, no welding or other fab work required.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:55:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

go over to the AK files forum. There is a guy on there that sells 5 degree wedges that 'fix' the slant in the back of M92s. When you buy one of his wedges, it comes with a piece of machined steel that fits the curvature on the inside of the trunnion and it has two holes drilled/tapped through it that are compatible with your hinge. Basically a 1 piece 'nut' that is designed to fit that curvature.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet!  Folks like you sir, are the reason I've been coming to this site daily since '04.  Much appreciated!!

That reminds me, time to re-up the old account.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:09:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA-Found'em

You wouldn't happen to remember his user name would you?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

ETA-Found'em

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA-Found'em

I have the same problem only with just one hole being over sized.  I used a nut that I had to grind the sides of down to fit better in the trunnion but not the best fit. This one piece curved nut sounds perfect.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

wildbill

I have the same problem only with just one hole being over sized.  I used a nut that I had to grind the sides of down to fit better in the trunnion but not the best fit. This one piece curved nut sounds perfect.

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo244/coax31/Mobile%20Uploads/20150103_193103_zpsf77c5f21.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA-Found'em

wildbill

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo244/coax31/Mobile%20Uploads/20150103_193103_zpsf77c5f21.jpg

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm waiting on AK-47.net to approve my account so I can't post/Im there, does anyone have a contact
email address for Wildbill?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:40:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Buy or make your own interference nuts. They will not come loose. Depending on how much meat there is on the trunnion, you could have heli-coiled it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm waiting on AK-47.net to approve my account so I can't post/Im there, does anyone have a contact
View Quote

I joined over there just to buy Wildbill's wedge. Took a week and two PM's to admin to get approved.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm looking for the same info...I want a blued wedge but can't get his info.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:37:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in the same boat as the OP and interested in this.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#25]
There seems to be a bit of interest in his product, so if anyone could reach out to him and point him our way that would be a big help. Like I said earlier. I'm still waiting for the other site to approve my account but as soon as I make contact I'll let him know about the demand. I do have have his PayPal email address if anyone would like it.  I haven't gotten a response from the email I sent him this week.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#26]
I've sent Wildbill a instant message on akfiles for you guys pointing him to this thread hopefully he will respond for you gents, I have a few of his kits for my M92SBR's and they work awesome.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Can't figure out his pics.

What does the wedge do?

Any benefit to having it if I'm using a triangle stock?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Can't figure out his pics.

What does the wedge do?

Any benefit to having it if I'm using a triangle stock?
View Quote

The wedge is basically a shim that fits between the the trunion and the hinge adapter. It takes into account the ~3* slant cut of the receiver and let's the stock mount in line with the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#29]
doubletap
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I had a few PM's about the wildbill wedge kit so here is some pics on my M92 SBR.

This pic shows the correction of the M92's rear trunnion angle.

This pic shows the inside of the receiver and the backing plate that is curved to sit inside the rear trunnion which is also tapped to accept the screws provided with the kit for mounting your stock mechanism in my case and ACE AR type folder.

This pic shows a view of the stock folded up when mounted with the plate on.

I hope this addresses everyone's concerns with this awesome wedge kit.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks to some members here who PM'd me Bill's email- I was able to purchase a 5 degree blued wedge.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thanks to some members here who PM'd me Bill's email- I was able to purchase a 5 degree blued wedge.
View Quote

Please PM me his email
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:14:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Please PM me his email
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please PM me his email

Me too please.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Please PM me his info for the wedge. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:00:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Hey AR15.com guys.

Wmjlar15 gave me the heads-up that y'all need some wedges to straighten out your PAP's.  His photos depict the wedge set-up as clearly as I can, but I'd be happy to answer any questions.

If anyone is interested in purchasing a kit PM me a request, but I only have white kits in stock currently.

And thanks Wmjlar15!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:54:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hey AR15.com guys.

Wmjlar15 gave me the heads-up that y'all need some wedges to straighten out your PAP's.  His photos depict the wedge set-up as clearly as I can, but I'd be happy to answer any questions.

If anyone is interested in purchasing a kit PM me a request, but I only have white kits in stock currently.
And thanks Wmjlar15!
View Quote

Thanks for joining . I sent you a PM.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hey AR15.com guys.

And thanks Wmjlar15!
View Quote

I'll vouch for Wildbill, great guy to deal with.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Please PM me his email
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please PM me his email

See above
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#39]
sorry, picture post fail.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
sorry, picture post fail.

<a href="http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/wildwoodbill000/media/20141213_141537_zpsd493d878.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s488/wildwoodbill000/20141213_141537_zpsd493d878.jpg</a>
View Quote

I approved it, should be visible now.

Also this one is my favorite ->

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Glad I stumbled on this thread, still waiting on my hinge and stock from Manticore. Got the eFiled stamp approved towards the end of January, but since I didn't want to have the stock in my possession, had to wait another month till it was in stock again. They said early to mid March, Firday morning I glanced and they were in stock to my surprise. So I ordered it. Quick question the wedge is needed if your installing the hinge on a PAP ? It's not needed for the Draco. Correct ?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Glad I stumbled on this thread, still waiting on my hinge and stock from Manticore. Got the eFiled stamp approved towards the end of January, but since I didn't want to have the stock in my possession, had to wait another month till it was in stock again. They said early to mid March, Firday morning I glanced and they were in stock to my surprise. So I ordered it. Quick question the wedge is needed if your installing the hinge on a PAP ? It's not needed for the Draco. Correct ?
View Quote

The Manticore stock is designed with the angle in mind, so the wedge isn't necessary.  If you are using the Manticore hinge with any other AR style stock, then the wedge is the ticket.  The Draco is square, so the wedge is not needed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:01:31 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
The Manticore stock is designed with the angle in mind, so the wedge isn't necessary.  If you are using the Stormwerkz hinge with any other AR style stock, then the wedge is the ticket.  The Draco is square, so the wedge is not needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Manticore stock is designed with the angle in mind, so the wedge isn't necessary.  If you are using the Stormwerkz hinge with any other AR style stock, then the wedge is the ticket.  The Draco is square, so the wedge is not needed.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:10:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The Manticore stock is designed with the angle in mind, so the wedge isn't necessary.  If you are using the Manticore hinge with any other AR style stock, then the wedge is the ticket.  The Draco is square, so the wedge is not needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't realize the wedge is not needed for the Manticore stock. However,  I'd still like to purchase the backing plate if possible.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit- I ordered a wedge and I have a manticore stock. I didn't know that the manticore already compensated for the 5 degree angle...

The photo of the manticore triangle stock on their website on an M92 shows an angle still...are you sure?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Shit- I ordered a wedge and I have a manticore stock. I didn't know that the manticore already compensated for the 5 degree angle...

The photo of the manticore triangle stock on their website on an M92 shows an angle still...are you sure?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Forget the Manticore stocks angle or Storwerkz hinge, the deciding factor is if you have a straight edge Draco you don't need the wedge, if your installing it on a PAP then you need the wedge to compensate for the angle on it.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Forget the Manticore stocks angle or Storwerkz hinge, the deciding factor is if you have a straight edge Draco you don't need the wedge, if your installing it on a PAP then you need the wedge to compensate for the angle on it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soooo....if we have a manticore triangle/stormwerkz combo we need the wedge on any M85/M92 PAP no matter what?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#48]
^i think highly desirable/nice to have is a better word than need/must/required, no?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
^i think highly desirable/nice to have is a better word than need/must/required, no?
View Quote

* If we want the stock to be aligned at 0 degrees.

Smartass....
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:22:39 PM EDT
[#50]
So I drilled and tapped one of these for a member here and it screwed on solid.  Is there something I should let him know about on this wedge thing?  Seemed ok to me but I don't use commie guns.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top