Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/11/2015 2:53:32 PM EDT
I have decided my next build is going to be a 5.45x39 Krink SBR and am looking to get it into the budget for this year.

So I am looking for what would be the possible economical way of building a 5.45 Krink.  Since true Krink kits look to be going for ~$1500+ that does not seem like the most economical way.  The Arsenal 104's being ~$1,300+ don't seem like the best way either.

I have thought about starting with a M92 and converting it but can't find anyone else who has done that.  What has everyone else here done?  

Edit: 4/21

Below are the parts I am planning on using for this build.  If I find anything used for less I plan on picking it up if I can.

Pistol/Parts kit M92

Barrel Green Mountain Blank

Folding Stock KVar

Bolt/Carrier New Bulgarian

Receiver Flat or Bent (80%) Bent

Muzzle Booster Ak-builder M92 Krink Brake

Running Total $
Pistol+Shipping+Transfer $480 $470
Barrel+Shipping $115 $42-Blank $30-Turning
Folding Stock $200 $150 - Kvar
Bolt Assembly $80 - $90 Carrier + bolt
Receiver $37.50
Rivets $9
Muzzle Booster $24
Scope Rail $27.50
Reinforcement Plate $10

Total Less SBR $890

SBR Stamp $200

Total $1090
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Turned Barrel

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#2]
It'd be nice if Aresnal would sell parts kits for the newly manufactured SBR's they have.

I'd like to purchase this gun but can't see spending over $2000 for it even though I really want it.

https://www.k-var.com/shop/SLR104-58.html
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:41:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Especially not for $600 more than the rifle version.  $200 for a tax stamp, shorter barrel and muzzle break, no way is it worth it.

I don't understand the pricing sometimes
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 4:02:32 PM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#5]
There is no economical way to build a 5.45 krink.  That ship has long set sail.

You might get lucky and be able to acquire the parts one by one over the course of several months and get it a little cheaper than a 104UR.  But then once you pay for getting it built you are probably not going to save much.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Especially not for $600 more than the rifle version.  $200 for a tax stamp, shorter barrel and muzzle break, no way is it worth it.

I don't understand the pricing sometimes
View Quote

Collectors who want a factory SBR and not a DIY form 1 just with "Joes NFA Trust, Anywhere USA" engraved on it will pay that price without thinking twice.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I have updated my post with the list of parts I am planning on using.  With my rough math I come in at around $400 cheaper than it would cost be to buy an Arsenal and SBR it.  I am still looking for some of the final parts.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#8]
An issue you are going to run into is that the M92 barrel parts are made to fit a barrel that is heavier than an AK74 barrel.  So even after you cut the AK74 barrel down, the gas block will be too loose for a press fit.  If you can't do the build yourself you will have to budget in about $500 for that.

I would just buy this and save yourself a bunch of headaches..  104UR for $1159 on the EE
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the heads up dskeet.  Do you know the profile of the M92 barrel or the diameter of the front gas block?

If an AK74 barrel won't fit I can use one of these http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/545-blank-5-45mm-rawbarrel-blank-41v50/

I am going to do the work myself so that isn't a cost for me.  I would use an AK74 and machine the trunnion/gas block if I had a print.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#10]
This site has the specs of pretty much every AK barrel out there.. http://robertforbus.com/Kalashnikova.htm
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:25:52 PM EDT
[#11]
There is some really good info on that site! Thank you the link.  I have to compare the barrels now.

Do you know of a site that has prints of the other components?
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I used to know one, but it looks like its gone as all the links to it are dead.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I've never seen anyone convert an m92 to 5.45...tag for build pics.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#14]
$750 RGuns Tula 86 parts kit
$100 Nodak receiver
$200 something for a Bluejack V5 barrel
$65 for engraving
$200 stamp

This doesn't even factor in having someone build, luckally I was able to have a close HTF guy help.

NFA ain't cheap, don't half ass a lifetime purchase.

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:08:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
$100 Nodak receiver
$65 for engraving
$200 stamp

This doesn't even factor in having someone build, luckally I was able to have a close HTF guy help.

http://i.imgur.com/c7w6Z2S.jpg
View Quote

Yup. I'm in my Tula kit for 1400ish
Rguns kit - 750
74ullc receiver - 250
blue jack v5 - 250
Stamp - 200
Rmp3- 50

Who did you get to help you with your kit? I'd love to build mine myself. In Range and Rifle Dynamics charge 450 for builds last I checked.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Rguns kit - 750
74ullc receiver - 250
blue jack v5 - 250
Stamp - 200
Rmp3- 50

Who did you get to help you with your kit? I'd love to build mine myself. In Range and Rifle Dynamics charge 450 for builds last I checked.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$100 Nodak receiver
$65 for engraving
$200 stamp

http://i.imgur.com/c7w6Z2S.jpg

Rguns kit - 750
74ullc receiver - 250
blue jack v5 - 250
Stamp - 200
Rmp3- 50

Was a guy in the HTF. He specifically mentioned not wanting to help anyone anymore because one guy had him build a gun or two and then he turned around and sold them. You might have luck asking for help in the HTF and seeing if someone offers assistance.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#17]
It's possible to build a krink for that price. Idk about a m92 to a 545 conversion. My 545 krink build is only gong to set me back about 1200. I'm turning down a green mountain barrel blank and using a nodak spud receiver. I've found lots of really good deals on authentic new unissued and some used Russian and Bulgarian parts.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#18]
What about using an sar2 as a donor rifle?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Romanian 5.45 barrels are a special snowflake with a funky outer diameter that isn't shared by any of the other 5.45 pattern guns so you couldn't reuse it without shimming everything in your build and that'd be sloppy.  You'd have to remove the front trunnion and replace it with a Krink front end anyway, as the rear sight block is different, on top of replacing the rear trunnion for a folder-style one.  The resulting rifle would have a nice Romanian receiver and you are no closer to your goal than just buying a NDS receiver for $115 that was precut for everything.

The M92 receiver will need all sorts of unwholesome modifications to fit 5.45.  The only time it makes sense to convert a 7.62 receiver to 5.45 is for a registered machinegun conversion.

"Krinkov" (true AKSU clones anyway) and "cheap" don't go together.  Buying a 104UR at least already gets you to 922R compliance out of the box, and it's a factory AKSU.  Factory.  Something like that hasn't been available since, like, ever.  Get the 104UR, pay the $200 tax, and cut the barrel off.  You are already close to $1000 with your pile o' parts - stalk the EE, 104URs turn up relatively frequently (for now) around $1100-$1200.  The extra $200 will be well spent.

I walked this path and ended up with 106UR and 104UR SBRs.  It doesn't make sense any other way, unless you got in on a Chief Thunder kit a million years ago, or lucked into a complete Russian kit when they were slightly less rare.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I guess I should clarify my build plan a little.  I am going to use the M92 basically as a parts kit.  I am going to demill it and plan on using the front trunnion and top cover, gas tube, bolt carrier assy and front sight gas block.  I picked up a M92 last week.  I won't demill it till I have the other parts in hand.

I am going to use a new received and have the barrel turned down from a Green Mountain blank to the M92 barrel dimensions.  And then a ak-builder triangle folding stock and rear trunnions.

In my mind I think this will look just like a "Krink".  It may not be an authentic one but should look and operate the same.  And I built it myself.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:07:31 AM EDT
[#21]
At that cost I'd just buy an arsenal and cut the barrel. Time/effort is money.

Also, I'll buy one of these Rguns kits for $750 if you guys have one sitting around?

EDIT:  The M92 top cover isn't "krink correct" either.  The top cover and hinge assembly are different.  You really should go with an Arsenal if you want a krink.  By the time this is built you'll EASILY have spent more than the 104UR, which is actually a "krink" and not an M92.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
EDIT:  The M92 top cover isn't "krink correct" either.  The top cover and hinge assembly are different.  You really should go with an Arsenal if you want a krink.  By the time this is built you'll EASILY have spent more than the 104UR, which is actually a "krink" and not an M92.
View Quote

CK, can you tell me what the difference is between the M92 and Ak74u top cover is?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:57:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

+ 1. This is what I did. I met a gunsmith in a  gun show down here in South TX. I told him my plans to use a Romanian SAR 2 with some Krink and the required US parts to build a "Poor Man's Krink". He disassembled the gun and put everything back together. He even fabricated a fake suppressor to go over the 16" barrel.

I was going to have him build another one for my son. Unfortunately, he move to another state and I lost his contact info.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

CK, can you tell me what the difference is between the M92 and Ak74u top cover is?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hinge block/top cover have the pin in different locations.  Also the top cover itself is smooth vs. ribbed.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the picture CK.  It helps a lot.  I see that the hinge point is different, the front trunnion, the location of the rear sight and the gas block is slightly different.  And the top cover like you mentioned.

I also found out that a AK74 bolt (Bulgarian) will not fit in the M92 bolt carrier.  The bolt stems have different diameters.

M92 Bolt Stem Diameter 0.428in
AK74 Bolt Stem Diameter 0.345in

So I will have to use a AK74 bolt carrier and bolt and swap out the pistons.

I know that this will not look exactly like a real AK74u but I think it should fool most people.  And if I am not happy with it I may have to buy an Arsenal 104
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Frankly, there is no cheaper or easier way to do this than an SLR104UR.  I have one waiting for a stamp and you won't be disappointed.  

Yes the buy in is expensive but it is a tremendous value WHEN COMPARED TO OTHER KRINKOVS.  A factory AKSU was unobtanium a few years ago and likely will be again.  

The resale alone is worth the extra $.  You are gonna take a hit here on the front end or the back end.  The smithing will bring you up to the cost of an SLR104UR anyway

The only way to do an AK SBR on the cheap is to buy a Draco or M92 and drill/tap  for a stormwerkz/ace hinge.  I've done that and if your anything like me you will just end up sending it to a smith to be properly assembled AND buying an real Krink too.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:57:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Update: The barrel blank and reamer/headspace gauges came in last week.  The barrel blank came from Green Mountain and the reamer/gauges came from Dave Manson Reamers in Grand Blanc, MI.

I also got an AK74 bolt carrier and bolt to use.  I will swap the piston with the M92 piston.

I am planning on turning the barrel this Saturday.   Also, going to demill the M92.  No turning back once that happens.

Thanks for all the advice to get an Arsenal.  I may some day but I want to build this one myself.  And now I have tools I can use on other builds.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:02:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Got the barrel turning done yesterday.  Once I demill the M92 I will test fit the barrel and then ream the chamber.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Updated Totals and Parts List
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Edited...VA-gunnut
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#31]
curious how this is going
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
curious how this is going
View Quote

Unfortunately not a lot of progress on the actual build itself.  I have been buying the other parts I needed.  Hopefully this weekend I can get the M92 taken apart.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Wanted to update this before it went into the archives.  I have pressed the barrel out and saved the receiver and am now working on creating fixtures to press the rear sight base and gas block/front sight off without cutting the barrel up.  Not a lot of room for material to press on in there.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top