Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/8/2015 7:38:07 PM EDT
I realize it's not the best, or even 4th best option, I'm just curious if it's actually a decent item, that works.

AK pistol/sbr stock that attaches under the pistol grip
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 8:15:51 PM EDT
[#1]
When it is so easy to drill and tap, why spend the money on this?
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When it is so easy to drill and tap, why spend the money on this?
View Quote

I understand that, when I SBR my M92 I'm going to drill and tap a manticore arms folding triangle stock, but I'm really just curious if mounting the stock under the grip is strong enough.

I feel like it's made for people that want to break NFA laws and be able to return the "pistol" to a legal configuration easily and quickly.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#3]
if i can drill and tap a couple of holes, so can anyone.  this brace is probably just as sturdy but it's really not necessary.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I use the one that adapts to buffer tube. Rock solid.

- OS

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:13:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn good idea.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:44:56 AM EDT
[#6]
One must remember that some people don't have the tools or skills to drill and tap those holes.  I have helped people that did not know how to change a pistol grip on an AR before.  Drilling a straight hole without a guide is hard for many people.  If your drill bit walks a little you are up ****creek.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#7]
^if you cannot do this yourself or you are not comfortable, ask a friend or neighbor; lots of people have the "skills."  it's really quite easy and the risk to screwing up is small; however, ymmv and perform at your own risk.  imo this isn't even a gunsmith project; way more likely diy.  clamp your disassembled firearm into a sturdy vice and use a good hand drill.  mark your holes with a sharpie, use a punch to get started, drill a tiny hole completely thru using a regular bit, then go behind it with this:  Greenlee DTAP10-32 Combination Drill and Tap Bit, 10-32NF
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
if you cannot do this yourself or you are not comfortable, ask a friend or neighbor; lots of people have the "skills."  it's really quite easy and the risk to screwing up is small; however, ymmv and perform at your own risk.  imo this isn't even a gunsmith project; way more likely diy.  clamp your disassembled firearm into a sturdy vice and use a good hand drill.  mark your holes with a sharpie, use a punch to get started, drill a tiny hole completely thru using a regular bit, then go behind it with this:  Greenlee DTAP10-32 Combination Drill and Tap Bit, 10-32NF
View Quote

I'm not afraid of drilling and tapping. I just stumbled across the product I linked in the OP and was curious about it. At first I thought it was incredibly stupid, but then realized that short of butt stroking folks it's not exactly a high impact area on a low recoil rifle.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm not afraid of drilling and tapping. I just stumbled across the product I linked in the OP and was curious about it. At first I thought it was incredibly stupid, but then realized that short of butt stroking folks it's not exactly a high impact area on a low recoil rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
if you cannot do this yourself or you are not comfortable, ask a friend or neighbor; lots of people have the "skills."  it's really quite easy and the risk to screwing up is small; however, ymmv and perform at your own risk.  imo this isn't even a gunsmith project; way more likely diy.  clamp your disassembled firearm into a sturdy vice and use a good hand drill.  mark your holes with a sharpie, use a punch to get started, drill a tiny hole completely thru using a regular bit, then go behind it with this:  Greenlee DTAP10-32 Combination Drill and Tap Bit, 10-32NF

understood; i considered the product when i was researching as well.  but price was a factor and wanting to change as little of the original firearm necessary.  i agree, not many of us need as robust construction as either of these solutions provide.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks good enough for lazy people.....just go with a real triangle folder....

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/p8GIPkqCj" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/908/GIPkqC.jpg</a>
View Quote

The SBR is much, much nicer than your pants
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:44:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/p8GIPkqCj" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/908/GIPkqC.jpg</a>

And his orthopedic shoes
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I think that one is converted to a standard rifle length.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I drilled and taped mine without any problems, however, I just read a post in this section of someone who screwed up when he tried to drill his trunion.  Now he is looking at having the holes welded, the trunion re-faced and having someone else drill and tap properly.  This would be the perfect fix for someone with his problem.  It didn't take me long to do the job but I can see how things can go "sideways" very quickly.

MadDog

ETA: My handy work; Manticore triangular stock, Stormworx hinge, Magpul QD sling cup.

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top