Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/4/2015 3:15:31 PM EDT
ETA:  nevermind.  Sven's gonna try to figure out it out via pics and info.  Hopefully I can help the buyer get up and running again without too much trouble--assuming the barrel is good to go and the threads aren't bad...or could be fixed (with thread savers or something).

So I put 20rds of PDX1 and 20rds of PMC through my mini-draco.
I installed an AKARS on it as well as a Magpul grip, SB47 stock, and Manticore arms nightbrake.
I used the red crush o-ring and tightened it down, locking it in the detent.
I then sold the gun to a nice guy (had to sell it--broke my front tooth...well..rebroke it).

TODAY--like 4 days later--buyer tells me that there was a muzzle strike ("explosion").  He said he messed with it a bit--and maybe didn't realize that it needed to be in the detent...though pics show it in the detent with the top blown off.

I worry the threads are bent--the brake has plenty of room doesn't it, and if a strike did occur, would it bend the barrel?  It's short, so it's very strong.
He's sending pics to me hopefully, but does anyone have any idea what could have happened??  I've owned at least 5 AK variants and did tons of research on the mini-draco, and never heard anything like this.

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you shoot it before or after you modded it?
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I shot it after all mods.  Worked perfect.  I'll post more details as I get them--is Century who would replace this?  I got it from the prepper shop, but warranty work should be the importer, right?  Ammo couldn't do this could it?  I only gave him decent ammo--Hornady SST AND wolf poly black box.  
It looks like a strike to me, but I can't believe that would bend the barrel....wouldn't it just break the brake?!
8" is a short, strong barrel.
I'm trying to find out more now....   Sold it to him with $1000 in it for $680 since I needed the money; he seems like a good guy, so I want to help him out.

ETA:  he put 50rds through it before this happened.  Thinks the barrel is straight, but just had a strike....could the nightbrake have had bad metal tempering?!
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 3:46:03 PM EDT
[#3]
IMO not your problem. Who knows what he did to it after you sold it to him...... maybe he bounced it down the driveway too hard
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#4]
My problem or not, I want to help him since he seems like a nice young man.  It looks bad to sell a $1000 gun for $680 and have it break after 50rds--but as you can see and read here in my reviews, I make great deals for people, communicate everything, and like to make sure everyone is happy.  

I THINK the brake wan't in the detent, got loose, then got hit.  Or a round was over pressured (??) or maybe the headspace was off.....the latter would need to be checked by a gunsmith.  But it shot 40rds fine with me, and 50-80 with him before this happened--I'm just glad he's okay, the barrel is okay, and hopefully the threads aren't bent.  I gave him the original flash hider, so he can put that on--I wonder if the detent pin and spring are still there. (ETA: they are)  
I may can meet him tomorrow and I'll be able to tell more.

He thought the brake may have come loose, but I tightened it on good with the oring and used the detent pin to align it straight...
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#5]
if/when it goes in for any warranty make sure that brake is off and the original nut, or whatever it came with is back on
just so they dont try to use that against him

since you were not there shooting it who knows what happened
if he had a squib the round before and it was mostly out of the barrel
or if it was dropped
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#6]
nvm
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Are squibs common?   I have 500rds of Hornady through AKs and tons of other rounds and never seen a squib in my life.  
If it was a squib and there is damage, does it go back to century?  Who is the distributor or does warranty repair?  Or does Hornady buy a new gun?  (In which case, he'd need the case, right?  Something to prove it was a squib?)

I'll ask if he noticed an especially soft shooting round prior to the kaboom.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#8]
He bought the gun and shot who knows what through it, not your problem or Century's
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Ask him if the barrel is actually bent or if it's the brake. See if he can remove the brake.

Look at the detent pin or the gas tube in regards to the brake. Their lines are not parallel with brake. That would suggest it is the brake that is bent downward and not the barrel.

Nothing but a bullet strike on brake could have done that. A strike on the brake which blew the top off and pushed/jammed it downward on the barrel. Either the brake was backed-off a few threads and drooping downward or something wasn't completely concentric with the brake, threads, or bore. None of which would be your responsibility. It's likely the brake is the only casualty, anyway.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 6:44:11 PM EDT
[#10]
If it wasn't concentric, why'd it shoot 40rds with no problem?  And 50rds from him.  
My two guesses are heat-treat on the brake (though manticore is a first rate company and Sven is a genius at design), or somehow it came out of the detent and came loose and got hit.  
A gunsmith friend who hasn't seen the pics said maybe check headspace--I know nothing about that, but can find someone who can do it, if that could have caused it.  I think manticore brakes have a pretty big hole, so I don't know if a strike is likely if it was screwed in and the pin was in place.

ETA:  I think he's at work--haven't heard back from him in awhile though I asked him to call me to get more details about it.  I'm off tomorrow, so maybe I can get a better look at it then.  Fingers crossed it just needs a new brake....though I'd still want to figure out how to make sure it won't happen again.

Is there a size dowel I could use to check barrel and exit hole alignment?
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Does he still have the o ring?
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If it wasn't concentric, why'd it shoot 40rds with no problem?  And 50rds from him.
View Quote

Right, which leaves the brake being loose as the likely cause. I am not familiar with the brake in question, but from the pic, it doesn't looks like the detent pin is engaged into it as with most other AK style brakes. The pin appears to be just resting against the back of the brake.

A headspace issue would present itself at the breech or chamber end of the barrel.

The only thing the pic suggests now is a bullet strike.

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Right, which leaves the brake being loose as the likely cause. I am not familiar with the brake in question, but from the pic, it doesn't looks like the detent pin is engaged into it as with most other AK style brakes. The pin appears to be just resting against the back of the brake.

A headspace issue would present itself at the breech or chamber end of the barrel.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, detent not engaged at all.  I've got two nightbrakes, including on a Draco.  It appears line up correctly, but hard to really tell - there's only one engagement point for the detent pin.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:57:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, the detent pin was installed in the groove when I sold it to him, and the red oring was on it.  I asked him to send me and Sven from Manticore more pics and maybe we can figure out what happened.  If he messed with the brake, it may not have been out on with the detent and could have come loose and been hit.  Only better pics can tell us anything.
That nightbrake rocks, so I don't think it could possibly be the problem--tons of people use and love them, and they're definitely the best value for what you get.

ETA:  sorry Sven, yeah, we all know manticore is good to go.  Obviously this was something else that went amiss.  The ONLY thing I could think of from your end was a possible bad heat treat, but only after more pics (and/or sending it to you), could you determine that...if that's even possible.  I think every AK owner with a nightbrake knows you are good people who put out great products.  And anyone who's seen your fore-end designs knows your a damn genius when it comes to CAD!
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:02:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:45:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:19:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Same thing happened with my Mini Draco with 2 TapCo Slant Brakes....
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:45:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I remember a thread not to long ago where someone was having trouble with the barrel device threads on their mini. They said their flash hider would thread on fine but under recoil it would strip off. Not un screw it would actually walk right over the threads. I think their may have been a batch of minis with the threads improperly machined that might be causing this.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:23:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Weird.  The threads seemed normal on this one--but maybe they weren't tall enough and it walked.  I shot 40rds with no issues, then he shot 80 before this happened.  I'm still hoping to meet up with him and get some pics and  the device.  I'll bring a caliper for the threads.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I JUST got this POST from the BUYER today:

"I put the other muzzle on it and the blew up after 10 rounds man. I might need my money back because I bought it from you trusting you and it keeps messing up man
I can't afford to pay almost 700 dollars for a gun that isn't safe and is damaged."

He wants me to buy back the gun he bought, that worked fine for me.  I'm going to offer to help contact where I bought it AND find out who does warranty work on these Mini-Draco's--ANY IDEAS on who to send it to??   (I'm emailing the preppergunshop.com where I bought it.)

ETA:  I'm emailing Century, who evidently warranties their guns for 1 year.  I bought it on 11/19/14.  I'm worried that changing the muzzle device might have voided the warranty.  I'm also hoping they'll pay shipping, otherwise I'll end up splitting $60 or more to send it to them (I offered to pay half since I really do want him to be satisfied--but I can't afford to buy back a gun that worked fine for me, and then sell it knowing it might be dangerous now).

CENTURY wants all the aftermarket stuff taken off and it put back in original configuration (I'm just hoping he has the OEM sights and grip, etc., that I included--I sure hope they don't try to blame this on muzzle devices or a dustcover or a magpul grip or a brace or a TAPCO trigger!!!!).  
----------------------------
Email I sent to CENTURY ARMS:
"I bought a Century Arms MINI-DRACO pistol from Preppergunshop.com (order #100002726).  It was SHIPPED on 11/19/14, and appears to have a one year warranty.  However, a bullet has struck the muzzle device (this was like 150rds in).  It had another strike later.  
I'd like a replacement or for someone to fix this gun and make it safe--right now, it is too dangerous to shoot.  Where should I send this gun, and what is the RA number?  Is there any way you can send me a UPS shipping label, as I know it will cost me $60-$80 to ship a "pistol"?
Thanks"
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Try to run it through Century.  However, don't be surprised if they won't be much help because the Manticore muzzle device isn't a part that was on it from the factory.  If there is a known issue with the threads on some of these, that will work well in your favor.

Don't give the guy his money back.  He waited too long to pull that card, especially after he said he "messed with" the gun and wasn't sure he put it back together right.  It could have been fine, then that first strike caused the threads to get buggered up.

Stuff like this is why any time I sell a gun, I put plain as day in the ad that they have 72 hours to inspect it and let me know if they don't want to keep it.  I have taken a gun back before.  I want buyers to be happy, but I'm not a manufacturer and I for sure am not interested in being their tech support line for months after the sale.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm sensing shenanigans from the buyer. Where are the pics for Manticore? Only reason NOT to send them is the buyer screwed up.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm wondering if he cross threaded it and then used a wrench to "snug" it up before shooting it.

Would be next to impossible to bend down the barrel end with only the muzzle brake impact causing torque.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, Sven tried to get him to send pics, but he didn't.
He then told me that he later tried to contact Sven.
It looks like he's implying that the FLASH HIDER was struck (he says "the other device"--I only gave him the Manticore and the OEM birdcage). That's an awful big hole I think (but will have to look into it).

HIM: I put the other muzzle on it and the blew up after 10 rounds man. I might need my money back because I bought it from you trusting you and it keeps messing up man
I can't afford to pay almost 700 dollars for a gun that isn't safe and is damaged

ME: It was safe when I shot it and sold it to you, but I'll definitely try to help. I'd say the first thing you should do is have a gunsmith look at it and figure out why this is happening.
What happened this time--and what device was it? I personally think we should ship it (I'll pay half) to whomever does the warranty work on it along with BOTH broken muzzle devices.
Sven said that you didn't send him the pictures he wanted or try to communicate with him at all.
I'll email where I bought it and ask them who does the warranty work. It would probably be $50-$60 to SHIP BUT WE MIGHT CAN GET THEM TO PAY FOR IT.

HIM: I sent him an email a while ago and he never responded
Yea man whatever it takes. I love this gun and the way it shoots its just dangerous I could have lost an eye when the muzzle exploded again

ME: what type of device was it?
I just emailed the preppergunshop where I bought it to find out who does warranty repair or replacement. alright, CENTURY ARMS imports them with a 1 year warranty...so...i'm contacting them.
What was the second muzzle device? i'm emailing century now for a RETURN AUTHORIZATION number.
Do you have both devices to include? Do you have the OEM stuff to put back on it? I'd do that--or I can do it if you want (but it's best if we give them both muzzle devices).
I need to know all the details OR you can handle it--here's their website: "If you are returning a product, please call our customer service department at 1-800-527-1252 to obtain an R.A. number and they will advise you of the shipping address."
http://www.centuryarms.com/helpdesk.html
Doh. Okay, so they need it put back in it's original condition and sent with a magazine: http://www.centuryarms.com/DriveEngine/%7B652551866%7DPolicy%20for%20Customer%20Return%202012.pdf
They don't pay shipping, but the good news is it does go to FL so it'll be cheaper.

HIM: Alright I have my son I will get back to you soon

ME: So basically it's going to need to have the original trigger, dust cover/sights, muzzle device, grip, all put back on it. I can do that if you can't. Ugh. I'll call them on the phone tomorrow and point out that it shouldn't matter and see if they're reasonable--those parts don't affect the bullet's trajectory and cause strikes. I still need to know what the second device was--and I hope you have both (that will help prove it).
Are you saying you put the FLASH HIDER ON ("the other device") and it got hit???

Fingers crossed. I hope there is a KNOWN thread problem. It's really the ONLY reason a Flash Hider could blow off since it's COMPLETELY open (no chance of a strike).
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#27]
double
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#28]
/UGH.   (trying to make the blue font smaller--and it's posting instead of previewing)
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Basically, I'll pay up to like $40 to help ship it.  
I'll also help him get it back to OEM condition by taking off the grip, akars railed dust cover, install the rear sight, and put the original crap trigger in.  

But that's about all I can offer.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Basically, I'll pay up to like $40 to help ship it.  
I'll also help him get it back to OEM condition by taking off the grip, akars railed dust cover, install the rear sight, and put the original crap trigger in.  

But that's about all I can offer.
View Quote

I'd say you are going well above and beyond what any reasonable person would expect you to do.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:04:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah, I have been in contact with Sven from Manticore and I KNOW he tried to get the guy to send him pics and things.  But the guy never did.  

I even talked to Chris at Century (who, like me, knows Sven is a great guy), and he told me to check the barrel to see if it's concentric with the threads (though I don't have a .310 drill rod laying around).  So I'm going to have a gunsmith check it out.  I hate to have to do all the work of putting all the OEM back on it, BUT a free trip back to Century is probably better than PERM-attaching something via welding or silver-solder (since if there's a problem after that, the warranty will be void).

Sven as always went above and beyond.  I will go above and beyond to help someone as well.
But there's only so much one can do when someone is hard to get in touch with and is too busy to meet up, etc.  
Thanks for the help and kind words--I'm the type of guy to feel guilty about a sale gone bad (I like to think I ALWAYS make a square deal, and I sold him about $950 worth of stuff for $580--since I included with the Mini-Draco a Sig Brace, Tapco trigger, AKARS rail, Nightbrake, Magpul MOE+ grip sanded down at the top, a $70 spacer for the brace, 250rds including 100rds of Hornady, and a front sight tool).  I could probably buy it back from him, have Century fix/replace it, and sell it for $550 on gunbroker (though it'd cost me $60 or so to ship it)--it's the perfect SBR in my opinion.  
We'll get it figured out.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:38:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yeah, I have been in contact with Sven from Manticore and I KNOW he tried to get the guy to send him pics and things.  But the guy never did.  

I even talked to Chris at Century (who, like me, knows Sven is a great guy), and he told me to check the barrel to see if it's concentric with the threads (though I don't have a .310 drill rod laying around).  So I'm going to have a gunsmith check it out.  I hate to have to do all the work of putting all the OEM back on it, BUT a free trip back to Century is probably better than PERM-attaching something via welding or silver-solder (since if there's a problem after that, the warranty will be void).

Sven as always went above and beyond.  I will go above and beyond to help someone as well.
But there's only so much one can do when someone is hard to get in touch with and is too busy to meet up, etc.  
Thanks for the help and kind words--I'm the type of guy to feel guilty about a sale gone bad (I like to think I ALWAYS make a square deal, and I sold him about $950 worth of stuff for $580--since I included with the Mini-Draco a Sig Brace, Tapco trigger, AKARS rail, Nightbrake, Magpul MOE+ grip sanded down at the top, a $70 spacer for the brace, 250rds including 100rds of Hornady, and a front sight tool).  I could probably buy it back from him, have Century fix/replace it, and sell it for $550 on gunbroker (though it'd cost me $60 or so to ship it)--it's the perfect SBR in my opinion.  
We'll get it figured out.  Thanks.
View Quote

After reading what you sold him and for how much, plus this dude seems slightly mentally handicapped, you don't owe him shit brother
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:14:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Man, tonight he told me that the wooden OEM handguard had broken in half--never mentioned that before.  He says it just snapped while he was shooting it.  Again, who knows.  Seemed solid to me--I took it off and painted the inside with high-heat, black grill paint, and painted the outside with black truck-bed liner.  Didn't feel wimpy or soft to me and I didn't see any cracks.

I'm going to help out if I can--he's young and I don't know how much he knows about guns and stuff (I've tried to meet him a bunch but he's very busy evidently--though I'm going to get the gun on Wednesday and look it over and send it in.  I've bought tons of guns online but only got screwed once when the guy forgot to mention that the handguard on the Saiga was a modded fake and had been glued onto the barrel.  
But this guy is local, so trying to help him out isn't a big deal.  After the warranty work, I may even have saved enough to offer to buy the gun back if that's what he wants--then I'd just resell it...or keep it.  It's the perfect SBR, and Manticore's coming out with that awesome forend.  

I think Century may just replace it--but then, I don't know how involved replacing a barrel on an AK is (I remember it involves a 20T hydraulic press though!).  Chris at Century seems like a really good guy, so I'll send it in and have them look at it.  If the barrel and threads aren't concentric OR the threads are too short then at least we'll finally have an answer (though it is odd that it fired 140rds fine before having an issue).
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:06:21 AM EDT
[#36]
I swear to god....it is stuff like this that makes me paranoid to sell guns I have.

Everything works.....and the guns I have sold...I even do videos of it before I sell it so there is evidence that it works...

I have it cleaned and checked by my friend who is a master armorer for a police dept.

I hope this gets resolved.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:18:59 AM EDT
[#37]
obviously not a problem with the muzzle device, especially if buyer claims he blew up a night brake and whatever the "other" muzzle device was.

Good for Sven for even trying to contact a buyer that didn't contact him first.

I would stop messing with this kid.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:28:48 AM EDT
[#38]
This whole thing reminds me of the idiots who bought Raptors, jumped them 60 ft, and claimed Ford was at fault when the frame bent.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Just wanted to add I don't think the muzzle device would have walked out of the threads just as a result of the detent not being installed.  I use hand tightened muzzle devices on my M85/M92 and they've never budged after hundreds of rounds.  There is quite a bit of threading there.

Something definitely seems off about the buyer.  I have a hard time being sympathetic to people who can't take the time to write in complete sentences.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Man, tonight he told me that the wooden OEM handguard had broken in half--never mentioned that before.  He says it just snapped while he was shooting it.  Again, who knows.  Seemed solid to me--I took it off and painted the inside with high-heat, black grill paint, and painted the outside with black truck-bed liner.  Didn't feel wimpy or soft to me and I didn't see any cracks.

I'm going to help out if I can--he's young and I don't know how much he knows about guns and stuff (I've tried to meet him a bunch but he's very busy evidently--though I'm going to get the gun on Wednesday and look it over and send it in.  I've bought tons of guns online but only got screwed once when the guy forgot to mention that the handguard on the Saiga was a modded fake and had been glued onto the barrel.  
But this guy is local, so trying to help him out isn't a big deal.  After the warranty work, I may even have saved enough to offer to buy the gun back if that's what he wants--then I'd just resell it...or keep it.  It's the perfect SBR, and Manticore's coming out with that awesome forend.  

I think Century may just replace it--but then, I don't know how involved replacing a barrel on an AK is (I remember it involves a 20T hydraulic press though!).  Chris at Century seems like a really good guy, so I'll send it in and have them look at it.  If the barrel and threads aren't concentric OR the threads are too short then at least we'll finally have an answer (though it is odd that it fired 140rds fine before having an issue).
View Quote

Dude, don't buy it back.  This guy has obviously done something to jack it all up.  Muzzle devices don't just magically explode.. twice.  Pistol grip broke in half? lol the hell?

At this point I think this buyer is just a jackass who messed with it and screwed it up.. and now he is trying to play you to get his money back.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Dude, don't buy it back.  This guy has obviously done something to jack it all up.  Muzzle devices don't just magically explode.. twice.  Pistol grip broke in half? lol the hell?

At this point I think this buyer is just a jackass who messed with it and screwed it up.. and now he is trying to play you to get his money back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:14:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Is this "other device from preppers discount" what I think it is?  You know what they are well known for...
You are going well out of your way to get screwed by this guy man.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#44]
This has run its course
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top