Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/3/2015 11:27:45 PM EDT
Had my M92 drilled out by a gunsmith for a a folding hinge plate, the left hole is over sized. This weapon is
an SBR now so how can I get this fixed both mechanically and legally
The gun smith offered to fix it but said form 5s are required, I don't no shit about form 5s or if I
can even legally  fill one out.
Can it be welded over and re-drilled?

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:32:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Welding over it so you can redrill isn't an issue if it doesn't go across the markings on the gun.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Welding over it so you can redrill isn't an issue if it doesn't go across the markings on the gun.
View Quote

it wouldn't go over the markings
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:50:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the hole going to effect the hinge plate moving around?  I would think the hinge will cover the holes and if there is play from the hole being to large a sliver of metal ''shim'' along side the screw would fix it.  
If the stock is something you would be taking off and on this could be a pain but if the hinge plate will stay on the rifle the hole being a little big may not be a big deal.
The holes could also both be made over sized to fit a sleeve around the screws.  I know you did not ask how to use the existing holes but it may be easier and less damage to not weld on the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 1:20:58 AM EDT
[#4]
so how did this happen, how did the one hole get drilled oversized?  were you there when it happened?  how long did it take to drill the 2 holes?  just not sure why you have to do a form 5 unless you leave your sbr with him (i would pass on that or try not to go the form 5 route).  can you not use longer screws and washers?

btw, i'm one step before your step, i have the sw hinge and a undrilled trunion;  still trying to decide if i drill it myself or find a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

so how did this happen, how did the one hole get drilled oversized?  were you there when it happened?  how long did it take to drill the 2 holes?  just not sure why you have to do a form 5 unless you leave your sbr with him (i would pass on that or try not to go the form 5 route).  can you not use longer screws and washers?

btw, i'm one step before your step, i have the sw hinge and a undrilled trunion;  still trying to decide if i drill it myself or find a gunsmith.
View Quote
If you go slow, and take your time, it's easy to do, and not mess up. Drilling the top cover for the SW rail was harder than this; way harder..

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Form 5 is a TAX EXEMPT transfer used for:
-Transfer to a lawful heir
-Transfer to or from a government entity
-Transfer of an unservicable firearm for a curio or ornament

I can't imagine how a F5 could conceivably be used in your case.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you go slow, and take your time, it's easy to do, and not mess up. Drilling the top cover for the SW hinge was harder than this; way harder..

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you go slow, and take your time, it's easy to do, and not mess up. Drilling the top cover for the SW hinge was harder than this; way harder..

ok thanks, i think i will give it a shot tomorrow. :)
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

i found this article rather interesting:  http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=69
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Just be warned that the weld material will be super hard, after you're done. Braising might be a better option if you want to redrill and tap
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 11:37:15 PM EDT
[#10]
You can possibly use a thing called a HeliCoil insert in the oversize hole.

Essentially you determine what the original thread size was and drill out the hole and tap it for the Helicoil insert and screw the insert in and you have a threaded hole.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Form 5 is not required.  You can ship it to any gunsmith that has an FFL, regardless of type of FFL or if they are an SOT.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 8:06:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

ATF has been very clear that although not REQUIRED, it is acceptable to use a form 5 for the temporary transfer of an NFA item for repair.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Form 5 is not required.  You can ship it to any gunsmith that has an FFL, regardless of type of FFL or if they are an SOT.
View Quote

If it leaves his state he will need an approved 5320.20
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 6:21:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that is the form that you use when you take the gun out of state then I believe it only applies when you take it, not when you send it to a gun smith for repair.  Before sending a NFA gun out you need to verify that the person you choose for repair will accept it without a Form 5.  Most do some don't.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 7:04:56 AM EDT
[#15]
A Helicoil may work, but there is not that much meat there.  You could put a nut on the inside of the receiver.  The bolt should be long enough.  I would not have the same gunsmith do anymore work on any of your guns.  This was a very simple process.  Tapping weld would be very hard to do.  If you don't like the idea of using a nut, then the Helicoil would probably be the best choice.  Just do it yourself.  You should be able to find the drill bit and tap combo at the hardware store.  There is no need to pay someone for this.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 2:16:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A Helicoil may work, but there is not that much meat there.  You could put a nut on the inside of the receiver.  The bolt should be long enough.  I would not have the same gunsmith do anymore work on any of your guns.  This was a very simple process.  Tapping weld would be very hard to do.  If you don't like the idea of using a nut, then the Helicoil would probably be the best choice.  Just do it yourself.  You should be able to find the drill bit and tap combo at the hardware store.  There is no need to pay someone for this.
View Quote

I was able to screw on a nut on the other side inside the trunnion, it is a tight fit so I had to grind down the out side edges of the nut so the screw could line up. I was able to tighten the bolt without any movement of the nut, this may just work. I mailed a form 5 s to the ATF yesterday, I wonder if I could just call them and cancel the whole thing?
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is not true when sending NFA items for repair/work.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I would be tempted to just get the rear trunion swapped as a capable smith should be able to drill and re-rivet pretty quickly/easily.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
If that is the form that you use when you take the gun out of state then I believe it only applies when you take it, not when you send it to a gun smith for repair.  Before sending a NFA gun out you need to verify that the person you choose for repair will accept it without a Form 5.  Most do some don't.

I think you guys are right, yesterday must have been a bad day for me. Twice in a row I read shit wrong.

https://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-9.pdf

A non-FFL who proposes to transport a destructive device,
machinegun, or short-barrel shotgun or rifle interstate to an FFL for repair should first obtain an
approved ATF Form 5320.20 before transporting the firearm.170
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#20]
A lot of bad information in this thread . The gun does not require a 5320 or a form 5 to be sent off for repair . I work part time for an 02/07 and we repair NFA items . just requires a copy of the registartion paperwork and a repair letter stating what repairs are needed.  Not a big deal the hole can be welded and drilled but as stated it would be harder steel .
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:43:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I would be tempted to just get the rear trunion swapped as a capable smith should be able to drill and re-rivet pretty quickly/easily.
View Quote

If he was going that route, I'd just get the whole thing done-up with an actual folder trunion.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:44:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A lot of bad information in this thread . The gun does not require a 5320 or a form 5 to be sent off for repair . I work part time for an 02/07 and we repair NFA items . just requires a copy of the registartion paperwork and a repair letter stating what repairs are needed.  Not a big deal the hole can be welded and drilled but as stated it would be harder steel .
View Quote

^This. I've sent cans into AAC and Silencerco, both in different states than I and all I had to do was send a copy of my Form 4 with the can. Same would be for sending to any SOT.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:55:43 PM EDT
[#23]
You could of repaired it yourself. If the hole is bigger, then forget heli coil. Go to the next size up on hardware. You could of also removed that backing plate, replaced it with another one and rivet it back up. Another option would of been to either remove or just weld the part of the folding stock that is bolted to the rear plate directly to it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:01:10 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Had my M92 drilled out by a gunsmith for a a folding hinge plate, the left hole is over sized. This weapon is

an SBR now so how can I get this fixed both mechanically and legally

The gun smith offered to fix it but said form 5s are required, I don't no shit about form 5s or if I

can even legally  fill one out.

Can it be welded over and re-drilled?

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo244/coax31/Mobile%20Uploads/20150103_193103_zpsf77c5f21.jpg
View Quote
He drilled it in the first place, screwed it up and now wants a form to correct it ?

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top