Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/19/2014 2:30:03 PM EDT
1)  Does it use a standard AK recoil spring and rods (and if not, are replacements available)?  I'm worried about parts availability, but I'd rather not have to buy a backup gun for parts.

2)  How bad is recoil compared to a regular AK or middy-AR?  My arsenal sgl21 had an FSC47 on it, and the recoil was nothing--about like a 5.56 with a flash hider comp.  For the mini draco, I would probably go with some kind of comp (part brake/part hider) like the FSC47, the nightbrake, or a Griffin Armament flash comp (and maybe get a blast shield as well).

3)  Has anyone found they didn't like the Mini?  All of the reports I've seen have been positive (other than like two who had feeding issues--which I can usually fix).

--
I want one because it's the most affordable, SHORTEST gun I can get with effective ballistics and a 30rd mag.  Ft. lbs energy at the muzzle should be like 1000-1050.  A 300blk would hit a little bit harder, BUT ammo would cost a LOT more, and recoil would be quite a bit more if you were shooting anything other than the subsonics (which would only get to like 400-450 ft lbs of energy).
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not the micro? I have my eyes on that lil puppy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the only non-standard part is the black plastic block that prevents the carrier from going back all the way. The carrier itself is also different obviously.

As far as recoil I have a mini and an SAR1 and the recoil feels about the same to me. I'm not very recoil sensitive though.

With my test sample of one I don't have alot to go on except the fact I fired 500 rounds of Tula/Wolf with no malfunctions. I used 15 different mags too.

If you want one, get one. You will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:13:26 AM EDT
[#3]
So the springs and spring guide/wire-thingy (the thing the spring rides on top of) are all NORMAL size (or Draco-size)?  I'm assuming the bolt is different too.
I like to have a few backup parts for my guns.  I REALLY want spare parts without having to buy a second gun.
--
I'm not into the Micro just because I think it's TOO short even for x39 ballistics (probably 600-700fpe I'm guessing)...and, if I remember correctly, I think the piston comes COMPLETELY out of the gas tube and then has to re-enter it (which seems like asking for a problem).  
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:29:16 AM EDT
[#4]
The micro draco gets about 1800 fps, while the mini gets about 2000, while a draco gets 2200, and a full size gets 2400. Whereabouts.

The buffer and handguards are the only things non-standard.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:59:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I put a ak battlecomp on mine and it really tamed the muzzle rise and recoil but it is earth shattering loud.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:25:50 PM EDT
[#6]
If the BC is that loud, I'd think the FSC47 would be painfully rough.  I never double up on ears--just use the electronic Impact ears.
I've been thinking about the muzzle device, and think I may try an adapter (+0.5" of barrel) going to a 5/28th Griffin Armament tapered Flash Comp.  Then I could put their blast baffle on that if it was too bad.  That's pretty heavy and pricey though compared to an FSC47 or an even more affordable Manticore nightbrake.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the BC is that loud, I'd think the FSC47 would be painfully rough.  I never double up on ears--just use the electronic Impact ears.
I've been thinking about the muzzle device, and think I may try an adapter (+0.5" of barrel) going to a 5/28th Griffin Armament tapered Flash Comp.  Then I could put their blast baffle on that if it was too bad.  That's pretty heavy and pricey though compared to an FSC47 or an even more affordable Manticore nightbrake.
View Quote

Why get an adapter when griffin makes a flash comp for an ak (14 x 1mm)?

http://www.griffinarmament.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=37715
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Weird.  I didn't see that.  I thought the 14x1 one wasn't compatible with the QD blast shield.
THANKS!!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Seriously...just buy one already...you won't regret it.  The recoil/muzzle rise/flash/noise won't be as bad as you think it will...and the accuracy will be better than you think it will.

The mini draco with arm brace is just plain fun to shoot.  The first time I took it to the range, I brought 150rds, thinking I would only shoot 60rds.   I shot all 150, and wished I would've brought 150 more.

I've got the Damage Industries brake on mine, and it works GREAT.  They had them on sale for $12-$15 yesterday.  Regular price is $25-$30, and I would've paid twice that.  It's just as good as any $50-$100 brake on the market

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:52:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I got the MINI DRACO ($479 shipped).  

I still haven't decided on the muzzle brake/comp.  I got a Manticore Nightbrake coming tomorrow (which I'll test on Tuesday), as well as what I thought was a Griffin Armament Flash-Comp (but it turns out it's their new 762 ported brake and an adapter--probably going to sell that).  I'm still looking at the BattleComp and the Venom Antidote ($200 is a lot of money for a truck gun, but I sure like a nice, soft, flat shooting AK--my Rifle Dynamics tuned SGL-21 had an FSC47 on it and shot as soft as my AR with a brake).  Will definitely get a Damage Ind brake to try out against the Nightbrake.

As soon as I can find my TRUST, I'm going to add this as an SBR, scan it in, and submit it via EFORM if they're accepting them.  ** It REALLY needs a side folding CTR on it. **  
I'm waiting on Manticore for the hand-guard, but have a friend selling me his AKARS (which I've never used and don't even know if it fits--we'll see; he hates the wide rear sight--but for my sub-100Y purposes, I'm sure it'll be fine).  

MODS SO FAR:
1)  Painted the hotdog handguard with Truck Bedliner (like someone on here did--turned out pretty good); I painted the inside with HIGH TEMP grill paint and made a make-shift heat-shield out of some aluminum.
2)  Installed Shepherds hook replacement Plate AND Tapco G2 trigger (polished really well)--the trigger has seen a big improvement.
3)  Installed Magpul MOE+ AK grip  (sanded down about 3/5th of an inch off of it to help it fit with the sb47 brace...it still can be turned 0.5mm side to side...the ability to make it turn is driving me nuts!!!).
4)  SB47 Brace plus the SPACER that holds the brace from turning (it's a bit long--I may cut it in half and use ONE hex-screw to shorten the pull).
5)  I cut the rear-sight, widening it into a V-shaped notch since it was just too d@mn narrow for what this gun is/does.

I'll be testing a few different rounds on Tuesday--Hornady SST, Winchester PDX1, Wolf HP (and I'm hoping to find some Corbon and SP Silver Bear with lacquer (it was always my favorite back in the day).

* -- I got ONE circle 10 mag ($45!!!  I remember when they were $25), 1 PALM, and 2 magpuls--this is going to be for Truck gun (so I will get the gen2 magpuls when they come out...but plan on only having like 4-5 mags total).  Gotta paint them or wrap some red or green tape around the bottom to keep them separate from the 30 AR mags floating around everywhere.

(will add pic tomorrow)
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Is there a place to get an extra one of those plastic blocks the Mini Dracos have in them just to have a spare?

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:24:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Not that I know of, but you could use two standard buffers, a block of wood with a bit of modding, most anything.  It really doesn't take much.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is there a place to get an extra one of those plastic blocks the Mini Dracos have in them just to have a spare?

View Quote

Why is yours showing signs of wear?  I only have about 3,500 rounds through my Mini so far, but as of now my buffer block shows zero signs of wear.  The plastic used is pretty hard.

MadDog
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, I pulled the trigger on buying one once I saw one with 2K rounds and zero wear on that buffer (mine new looked like had 100-200rds though it--they're not finished very well--flashing, etc.)....AND I saw that basically anything would work in it's place.  I bought two AK buffers--figured I'd cut the top of of one and attach them, and bingo--replacement buffer.  I'll eventually make it, take pics, and write a review if all goes well (or not).  

Prior to that, parts (especially this one) was my #1 concern (along with someone making an alternative to the hotdog forend with top picanny--which Manticore is working on).  
After seeing how tough it is AND that it could be duplicated with total ease--even by a shade tree gunsmith like me--it wasn't a big deal.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Cool, thanks guys.

I don't have one but am considering picking one up.  I'm trying to decide between an M92 or Mini Draco for a future SBR project.  I was just worried about how that buffer may wear in the long run and how hard it would be to replace if it wore out or was damaged.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:34:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Mini Draco.  I was having trouble deciding between the Mini and M92 but in the end I think shorter overall length will work better for my intended purposes.  I plan to SBR it as quickly as possible and basically build a PDW type "backpack" gun.  Just had a couple of questions.

Are there any common probless with them?  Canted sights, keyholing, reliability issues?  If so, are most of the issues that could be expected something a person could fix themselves at home with minimal AK experience?  

As far as muzzle devices go, I'm thinking about a Smith Vortex.  Anyone use that device on their Mini?  How'd it work?  Any pics of it mounted?  I know it's a bit long for a flash hider but if it helps knock down that fireball I think it might be worthwhile.  

Also, is it possible to mod a Magpul MIAD to work with the Mini Draco?  The MIAD with large palm swell is my go to AR grip, everything else seems too skinny unless I wrap the grip with some Camo Form tape.  It would be great if I could use a MIAD on the Mini as well.  I'm aware that there are plastic grip adapters but have read that they aren't that great and would prefer to mod the grip to fit directly if possible.

Sorry for the ramblings, I just want to make sure all my plans will work ok with the Mini.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#17]
^^^  Magpul make an ak grip, just not the MIAD.. ACE made an adapter to fit a regular MIAD but they changed the molding a few years ago and it leaves an undesireable gap...

MINE:  

Here's the orig Gardner build which has the original ace adapter on it, before they changed it.  Looks like what you are wanting:

Ace's current grip adapter:

to use the prev ACE adapter, you could cut off the MIAD rear piece at a straight angle to match the top part of the grip.  To ACE's current adapter, you have to cut off the MIAD AND mill it out a little to fit around the tail part of the redesigned ACE adapter.  It still can be done, just not as easy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks ScottMO, that's the adapter I'd seen before.  Looks like it'll be my best option.

Well, I've got a Mini Draco on order from Classic.  You all will probably be seeing me around this sub forum a lot more frequently!  Hope I get a good one.  If not, I know where to come for help!
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#19]
What handguard is that in the bottom pic?
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What handguard is that in the bottom pic?
View Quote

The bottom pic is a full sized Draco not a mini. It's an ultimak rail that runs approx 200.00 just for the lower rail. The upper rail is also an ultimak rail.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Want to add that shooting the 154gr bullets are a little harder on the plastic buffer. Don't know how many rds are through it but a lot and never noticed much of anything on the buffer.

After shoot a bunch of the 154 gr the buffer started to get marked up and the 154 gr do seem to recoil more. Switched back to the lighter bullets and everything is fine again.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 8:32:30 AM EDT
[#22]
What all would be needed if a guy was wanting to rebarrel a Mini Draco and add a gas system just long enough to avoid using the plastic block?  Would it even be possible?

Guessing at minimum you'd need a new barrel cut down, pistol gas piston, longer gas tube?  I'm totally new to the AK platform so I have no idea.  The thought just crossed my mind so I figured I'd ask.

Not that I'm immediately wanting to do that, but I just hate the idea of that plastic block.  I know most of you guys havent had problems but I've heard people talking about them being loose in the receiver and causing short strokes and just wanted to know if it was feasible to rebuild the mini a bit longer to avoid using the block.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top