Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/4/2014 4:00:25 PM EDT
I checked out a Mini Draco today and had some questions.    Does the bolt strike the wedge or is it just insurance?    How is the kick on these?  What handguard options have people found.  What kind of accuracy?
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#1]
The only aftermarket handguard available is the clunky Midwest Industries quad rail.  Although, with some creativity and elbow grease, you can make some pretty neat custom creations

Accuracy is better than I imagined, and "kick" is less than I imagined.

It definitely thumps, but it's the good kind of thump - the one that makes you empty all your mags and go back to the store for more ammo.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only aftermarket handguard available is the clunky Midwest Industries quad rail.  Although, with some creativity and elbow grease, you can make some pretty neat custom creations

http://oi57.tinypic.com/k1e339.jpg

Accuracy is better than I imagined, and "kick" is less than I imagined.

It definitely thumps, but it's the good kind of thump - the one that makes you empty all your mags and go back to the store for more ammo.
View Quote

Yep that is nice!!   Does the bolt actually hit the plastic buffer on recoil or is it just to keep the piston in the trunnion?  Any wear and tear so to speak?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 2:21:04 PM EDT
[#3]
The bolt actually hits the plastic buffer as it was designed to do.  My Mini Draco has about 6,000 rounds through it so far and zero signs of wear to the buffer.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I custom mounted an AFG on the factory wood handguard, not many options for handguards yet. Its the last pic in the SBR/pistol thread. I couldn't be happier with it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Stock handguard.  Just a bit easier on the eyes.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:02:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Have had good luck with the Midwest Industries

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 2:47:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Man these are NICE!!!  I went back to the LGS and they where sold out : (   But these are still fantastic!!
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#8]
My mini, as I purchased it:

current configuration:

I enjoy mine..
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I am really liking my MI railed hand guard for the Mini Draco so far. I certainly don't think it is too bulky as I like vert grips and hand stops and can't think of a better set up than what I have.  If Manticore comes out with a hand guard for the Mini I will probably get one as I like to change things up every now and then.

MadDog

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't know why MI didn't make the bottom 3 rails extend past the FSB

Would've looked better and added much needed room for your off hand
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I modified a normal MI rail to fit the mini because they hadn't come out with a mini specific rail.  I'm surprised more people don't do this.  The rail clamps to the barrel and the main part that needs to be modified is the seperate top section.  Since that part is sold seperate for different optics mounting options, it's cheap if you mess up.  I think the clamps also need a little bit of modification in order to fit around the gas tube.

My mini is awesome and is easier to control than my normal draco.  That could be due to the KX3 though.

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I modified a normal MI rail to fit the mini because they hadn't come out with a mini specific rail.  I'm surprised more people don't do this.  The rail clamps to the barrel and the main part that needs to be modified is the seperate top section.  Since that part is sold seperate for different optics mounting options, it's cheap if you mess up.  I think the clamps also need a little bit of modification in order to fit around the gas tube.

My mini is awesome and is easier to control than my normal draco.  That could be due to the KX3 though.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/salmonaxe/media/655698f17d35bc409eaa3be4bd1d7167_zpsb65b1a70.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/salmonaxe/655698f17d35bc409eaa3be4bd1d7167_zpsb65b1a70.jpg~original</a>
View Quote

I definatly like the length of the lower part better than the shorter mini rail. Can we get a better pic of the top rail/modification part?
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice pistols and SBR's. Thanks for sharing.......Here's mine with a VZ-58 folding stcok.

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 12:03:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Does the stock improve accuracy?  What kind of grouping do you get?
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 3:30:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/salmonaxe/media/655698f17d35bc409eaa3be4bd1d7167_zpsb65b1a70.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/salmonaxe/655698f17d35bc409eaa3be4bd1d7167_zpsb65b1a70.jpg~original</a>
View Quote

I did the same. I'm also surprised no one seems to do so, it takes some minor fitting but is otherwise easy enough.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Does the stock improve accuracy?  What kind of grouping do you get?
View Quote

50 yards. There were some adjustment made on this target. The high right shots were 1st. Made adjustment and the rest of the shots were made.

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top