Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2014 9:09:02 PM EDT
Don't believe anyone has posted a SBX on an AK pistol yet, so here's one.

Rather than do any smithing, used the US Machine Gun grip adapter w/ screw in folding adapater, KAK super buffer tube.

The adapter is marvelous, really locks in securely, as had cutout for screw base, not held just by two prongs like the SB-47 SIG brace, compensates well enough for the angle on rear of receiver too.  The folding adapter is "okay", locks up nicely horizontally, but has play vertically. In fairness, this doesn't seem to translate to any less efficiency should you decide to misuse the brace by shouldering it. ;) -- but it's a simple mismatch of bolt size and channel and could easily have been pretty much rock solid with just a bit of foresight to tighter specs there.

And tell ya the truth, the only reason I really cared about making it a folder was so it would continue to fit the nice case I had already been using for the pistol in native form.

Was also able to add an AR endplate for quick one or two-point sling attachment.

Anyone else wanting to use the KAK tube be aware: this tube (and the original one they still sell without the castle nut) was made specifically for the SB-15 brace. The SBX brace will NOT reach the retaining flange on the KAK super tube (or the original SB-15 KAK tube either), due to the brace being a bit shorter in the channel than the SB-15 and the fact that part of that length is also denied by the wall in the back of the tube channel, as it is not open all the way through like the SB-15. t will leave about a .7" gap. Which doesn't matter as to functionality, as the back wall in the SBX channel will prevent forward movement on any buffer tube. But I thought it would look a bit odd, so thought ahead and got the spacer kit also, added the short one just for continuity of the look.

- OS
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Haha, OS didn't see this on the other forum. I don't like the aesthetics of either of them, but the SBX looks more workable folded than the standard brace. I've got the standard brace and will probably keep it for now. I like your idea though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:49:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I like it. How much did you pay for everything? Thanks
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like it. How much did you pay for everything? Thanks
View Quote

Right at 3 bills, but of course just the brace was half of that, grabbed first one I could.

- OS

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep I just spent 300
I went with the Ace. Did not like the ones that go under grip
I did get the new style brace (wife doesn't like you lol)
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:36:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I like .
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:13:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Where did you find the SBX brace in stock (no pun intended)?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 1:58:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Amazon was the cheapest I found
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't find that the SBX has appeared there?

- OS
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

- OS

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

- OS

Can you share where you DID find it?

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Oh, I grabbed it directly from SIG as soon as it appeared in stock, hence paying full price, $149 (but with free shipping). It's in stock there again right now:

https://www.sigsauer.com/SigStore/sbx-pistol-stabilizing-brace-686.aspx

There are/were two or three other places selling it for cheaper though, if you'll look in the AR pistol forum somewhere in the last few threads regarding the SBX. May not have had free shipping though, didn't pay much attention since I already had one.

- OS
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#11]
You can shoot that thing from across the street with that LOP.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You can shoot that thing from across the street with that LOP.
View Quote

Just shy of 15", very nice.

- OS
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:29:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Oh, I grabbed it directly from SIG as soon as it appeared in stock, hence paying full price, $149 (but with free shipping). It's in stock there again right now:

There are/were two or three other places selling it for cheaper though, if you'll look in the AR pistol forum somewhere in the last few threads regarding the SBX. May not have had free shipping though, didn't pay much attention since I already had one.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- OS

- OS
Thank you, sir.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I just got on amazon to put the link up and it's not available right now
Wow I got it right on time (delivery today) It was 139 +5 s&h
There are a couple on eBay for 159
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I like the look of that.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 3:29:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Was shooting mine today, and also had the AR pistol with the original SB-15 brace. Certainly not an empirical test, but seemed the SBX is more comfy and shock absorbing than the SB-15. And after all it's on the AK which has more recoil than an AR too.

I suspect it might have to do with the captive tube channel of the SBX, fact there is about a 1/4" wall between you and the buffer tube. Then again though, the AR does have the buffer and spring moving back toward you also inside there. Maybe just subjective because of the AR "snappier" sensation, hard to swear to anything really.

But any rate, it's certainly a fact that the SBX is certainly very comfy indeed, and it's sure nice to hit what you're aiming at too 'bout same as rifle. Think I'll file the v notch in rear sight though eventually.

- OS
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#18]
What are you guys using for sling attachments (especially in the back)
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

With my arrangement, you can use any AR receiver plate right against the buffer tube adapter and castle nut that holds either the folding adapter or buffer tube if you go straight to that.  I just used a cheapo UTG "tactical" one I had laying around.

And the standard built-in one on gas block. I make my own slings, which can be used double or single point, just changed the front one to a AK type clip.

- OS

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll work on the sling. Love the brace
No wobble at all. Can't wait to go to range
Now I need a bag for it :-)  

Wife said I'm worst then kids on Christmas (I had to install right away after all parts where here)
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#21]
There is one for sale on EE
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_119/1370100__new__Sig_Sauer_SBX_Arm_Brace___MPX_SB15_SB47.html
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:58:09 PM EDT
[#22]

The cnc warrior stock has place to attach qd mount on side. I have their carbine with sidefolder at the qd mount works great.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top