Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2014 12:12:58 AM EDT
Thinking on a SBR chambering, really liking 7.62x39 for SBR applications, efficient, powerful, common, suppresses well w/ my 30 cal suppressor.  300 BO, I'm just not interested in, want more power, no interest in subsonic.  

Now i know a lot of guys have good luck w/ ARs chambered in it but I'm not interested in it, not even the new RRA version b/c it still uses the same marginal bolt design.  

I do believe that the cartridge feeds best out of its own native AK mags.  Anyway, I find out there is a bullpup AK stock now for a Zastov PAP 10" AK by some company called center balance systems.  The ATF has ruled that the housing is legal on an AK pistol w/o requiring any NFA registration.  I belive it is made to fit on a 10" AK.  .  

There are various reasons I find this appealing, it classification as a pistol rather than a rifle, and it non NFA classification would make it easy to discretely and legally travel across state lines.  I'll never register another SBR after realizing what a PIA it is just to take it across the border to go shooting at a nearby range, especially not that the sig arm brace is good enough.

Here is that bullpup pistol unit (admittedly it is uggo):

These are my questions:

Does anyone know what a 10" PAP type stamped AK pistol weigs?

If I got this from J&G, how might I be able to mount a QD suppressor mount?? It says it has a permattached thread protector.
http://www.jgsales.com/yugo-zastava-pap-m92pv-ak-style-pistol,-krinkov-pattern,-7.62x39,-wood-stock,-new.-p-57965.html.  Could a guy carefully cut away that thing and salvage the threads?  Are the threads concentric?  Looks like Surefire makes a metric LH thread mount for AKs.

Anyone used any of those bullpup kits from center balance?  Especially the pistol one?

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:14:40 AM EDT
[#1]
thank you everyone
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:52:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
thank you everyone
View Quote

Well, I like it in a bizarre way -- looks like either something futuristic or something planet of the apes, can't decide. At any rate, would certainly be a conversation piece at the ole range. :)

At any rate, Century shows PAP92 weight at  5.69 lbs, and that's pretty close I reckon, mine is 5 lb. 13.4 oz with no mag, stock thread protector, but with addition of sling adapter, which is an ounce or two.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#3]
damn, kind of heavy, almost as heavy as a naked M4.  I mean, not all that heavy to bear but just heavy for a "SBR."  

Anyway, thx for letting me know what you's weighs.

Is the thread protector "permanently attached" to meet some sort of requirement to be imported?  Is it easy to get off?  Are the threads actually on the muzzel?  Is there a proper shoulder to bottom a suppressor against??

Yeah it looks ugly, but I always liked the idea of being able to control run a rifle w/ one hand if necessary.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Is the thread protector "permanently attached" to meet some sort of requirement to be imported?  Is it easy to get off?  Are the threads actually on the muzzel?  Is there a proper shoulder to bottom a suppressor against??.
View Quote

Not sure if legal issue, honestly. Pretty easy to get off, just a little sloppy spot weld, I used hacksaw and then dremel to smooth, gun black pen to cover the shiny spot. Yes, threads on muzzle.

"proper shoulder", not sure, not can savvy. I put Manticore Eclipse flash hider on it with detent kit, thread is 26x1.5. Took it off and put the thread protector back on for the weight.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:34:01 PM EDT
[#5]
by "proper shoulder" I mean an actual shoulder as cut into the barrel itself.  It almost looks like a muzzle device would bottom out on the gas block.  The theory is that a suppressor needs to bottom out on the shoulder to properly align w/ the bore, assuming the threads are concentric.

Does the shoulder of the barrel protrude past the gas block for this purpose??
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:48:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

http://www.cbrps.com/Draco_w_drum_left.JPG

Well, I like it in a bizarre way -- looks like either something futuristic or something planet of the apes, can't decide. At any rate, would certainly be a conversation piece at the ole range. :)

At any rate, Century shows PAP92 weight at  5.69 lbs, and that's pretty close I reckon, mine is 5 lb. 13.4 oz with no mag, stock thread protector, but with addition of sling adapter, which is an ounce or two.

- OS
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
thank you everyone

- OS

do you have a link to that centry site w/ the pap?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:01:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
thank you everyone

- OS

Actually, redoing search, it's wasn't Century oops, was Atlantic:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/pap-m92-7-62x39-pistol-hg3089a-n-detail.html?Itemid=0

- OS
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#8]
are there any paps w/o hinged cover?

Also, they tells me they are waiting for more clarificatino from ATF about the bullpup pistol enclosure
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Also, they tells me they are waiting for more clarificatino from ATF about the bullpup pistol enclosure
View Quote

No, that's the only way the M92 comes. There's a mod with a front replacement pin though so you can remove it.

I didn't mention it, but was a bit surprised when you said in first post the ATF said it was cool as a pistol, what with that nice flat area on the end and whatnot. It seems it would be pretty tough to actually support, sight, and shoot any way except having it against the shoulder really.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:03:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No, that's the only way the M92 comes. There's a mod with a front replacement pin though so you can remove it.

I didn't mention it, but was a bit surprised when you said in first post the ATF said it was cool as a pistol, what with that nice flat area on the end and whatnot. It seems it would be pretty tough to actually support, sight, and shoot any way except having it against the shoulder really.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

well, its about the same as the ARM pistol.  just because there happens to be a flat part on the back doesn't mean it is a butt or is designed to be fired when shouldered.  the sig arm brace has taught us that.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
by "proper shoulder" I mean an actual shoulder as cut into the barrel itself.  It almost looks like a muzzle device would bottom out on the gas block.  The theory is that a suppressor needs to bottom out on the shoulder to properly align w/ the bore, assuming the threads are concentric.

Does the shoulder of the barrel protrude past the gas block for this purpose??
View Quote

The barrel on the M92 extends to just before the outside end of the threaded section of the gas block.
The threaded portion of the gas block has no contact with the barrel and as you assumed anything attached to it will bottom out on the gas block itself with no shoulder.
This is why the threaded portion is rarely concentric to the bore.

However the threaded portion of the gas block could be chopped off then the barrel threaded.
This is why I chose the 7.62 over the 5.56. The 5.56 barrel ends at the gas block before the threads so there is no way to thread the barrel directly.

These images that may help clarify.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#12]
sorry but this is still confusing.  That thread protector thing that is spot welded on, it is threaded on male threads of a part of the gas block??  The gas block is threaded on the barrel or pinned on or something?  

So to get to the  actual muzzel a guy would have to remove that thread protector and grind off this business that surrounds the muzzle that is part of the gas block?  Damn, a smith would have to be involved to pull the barrel anyway to thread it concentrically I suppose.    And, the muzzle loooks a little short.  Usually a guy wants at least 1/2" from the muzzle to the shoulder, maybe 5/8.  That gun doesn't look like a good host for a can...
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
sorry but this is still confusing.  That thread protector thing that is spot welded on, it is threaded on male threads of a part of the gas block??  The gas block is threaded on the barrel or pinned on or something?  

So to get to the  actual muzzel a guy would have to remove that thread protector and grind off this business that surrounds the muzzle that is part of the gas block?  Damn, a smith would have to be involved to pull the barrel anyway to thread it concentrically I suppose.    And, the muzzle loooks a little short.  Usually a guy wants at least 1/2" from the muzzle to the shoulder, maybe 5/8.  That gun doesn't look like a good host for a can...
View Quote

The gas block is pressed on then pinned "similar" to an ar15.
The threaded portion of the gas block has a gap between its inner circumference and the barrel.

As for running the krinks with a suppressor many people have just used a thread adapter

But, some of them have also had baffle or end cap strikes on their suppressor.
My father had this issue with his bulgarian krink running an adapter for a yhm .308 suppressor...

As for threading the barrel, if/when I go that route I will be pulling the gas block and milling off the 26x1.5 threaded portion.
Then it's off to a smith, (azex), to thread the barrel correctly.
There is plenty of room for threads on the barrel in front of the gas block. I can see just over 3/4 of an inch of barrel beyond the sight portion of the gas block.
Here is a pic after I cut the weld and spun off the thread protector. You can see plenty of barrel to thread under there.

I haven't even decided which 7.62 suppressor I will be using so right now I am content with just having a plan in mind for after I complete the SBR portion of the project.  
As for it being a good host for a can, it really isn't. 7.62x39 through a 10.5 inch barrel in a gas blowback semi-auto is never going to be super quiet and there aren't exactly a ton of sources for subsonic ammo.
I just want it quiet enough to be hearing safe and not risk ruining a can that will probably be most effective other rifles.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow never seen that and now I really want it.... My M92 feels quite heavy,and it is at just over 7 lbs with SB 47 and magazine but comfortable for sure. I wish you luck on this though, let us know how well it works.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top