Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2014 2:01:30 AM EDT
I recently purchased a lightly used M92 pistol.  When I took it out to the range for the first time, the trigger failed to reset several times. It would bind up in the rear position, but pushing it gently forward with one finger was enough to send it forward and reset the sear.

Since the gun was new to me, (gun has maybe 200 rds total through it), and I had installed an SB47, I assumed the trigger was rubbing against the brace. This turned out to not necessarily be the case.

I took the SB47 off and observed some small rub marks and decided to file off a little material from the end of the brace where the marks were. While function checking the gun after filing and reinstalling, I realized the trigger was still binding up. I removed the brace and the pistol grip and was able to make the trigger bind up when the gun was cocked. When the gun was not cocked, the trigger would not bind up. Cocked, it would occasionally. In the process of trying to determine the cause of this, I realized that the trigger pin would move slightly.
Moving the trigger pin back and forth was enough to release the bound up trigger.

I was able to determine the trigger is binding up against the left side of the receiver, (opposite side from the safety), and only when the gun is cocked.

Pics:

As can be seen in the last picture, the Sheppard’s Crook is on the trigger pin in the saddle/groove/rest, so I don’t know if that’s a concern.

Is this something that I can fix, or is this something where the gun should go back to Century for repair/replacement? Should I use a file/dremel and remove a small bit of material from the receiver side where the trigger is binding? Should I remove some material from the trigger on the side it is binding, (Thinking that replacing a trigger if I screw it up is easier than replacing a receiver)?
Or is it more likely that the trigger pin and the trigger pin hole(s) are not lined up properly from the factory and there is no way to fix this without sending it back to the factory?

I’m relatively new to AK’s and don’t have vast amounts of knowledge regarding how to “fix” them….

Thanks for any and all advice and information.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:14:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Without reading I'm going to go ahead and assume it's binding on the brace you've got on it.
They're known to do that, if so it just takes two minutes to grind down the brace's plate to fit properly.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:30:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Without reading I'm going to go ahead and assume it's binding on the brace you've got on it.
They're known to do that, if so it just takes two minutes to grind down the brace's plate to fit properly.
View Quote

I filed the brace.
It still happened.
I took off the brace.
It still happened.

It's not the brace causing this is issue. The pictures show that the trigger is binding against the receiver on the left side.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#3]
The disconnector doesn't seem to be grabbing the hammer.  It looks like it's binding between the disconnector and trigger "ears'.

Got another FCG you can toss in and try?  If not, look for a G2.  They're, what, 26 bucks at brownell's?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:52:35 PM EDT
[#4]
most common reasons:

trigger leg is gettign caught
brace (file needed)
one of the trigger spring fangs are off line of the trigger rear
trigger pin walking out
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll pick one up and see if that helps.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I had the same issue when I got my first AK.  It looks like the pin retainer isn't installed right and saying that it is used means the previous owner (or possibly you) installed the retainer wire incorrectly.  You can see from your picture that the trigger pin is too far out, which will cause your symptoms.  

To see if this is the issue, try pushing that trigger pin in and wiggling it until it falls into place.  While holding the pin inwards, pull the trigger and cycle the action.  Then repeat without holding the pin.  If it works when holding the pin and fails when not, then it's the pin retainer.

I would get a new retainer and ditch the wire one.  Get a Tapco or a Krebs.

I hope this is your problem, cause it's an easy fix.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:58:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Mine did the same for the first couple hundred rounds. All guudë now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:09:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just saying, if y'all had actually read his original post or his first followup,  you'd realize that a comment about football would have been just as relevant to his problem.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I had the same issue when I got my first AK.  It looks like the pin retainer isn't installed right and saying that it is used means the previous owner (or possibly you) installed the retainer wire incorrectly.  You can see from your picture that the trigger pin is too far out, which will cause your symptoms.  

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=69120

To see if this is the issue, try pushing that trigger pin in and wiggling it until it falls into place.  While holding the pin inwards, pull the trigger and cycle the action.  Then repeat without holding the pin.  If it works when holding the pin and fails when not, then it's the pin retainer.

I would get a new retainer and ditch the wire one.  Get a Tapco or a Krebs.

I hope this is your problem, cause it's an easy fix.
View Quote

Does the Tapco retaining plate fit the M92 Pistol?

I've got some Brownells Gift Certificates I need to use and can order a plate and a trigger for the gun at the same time....

ETA - thanks for all the help Gents...
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Ordered both parts after speaking with one of their techs...

Also picked up an AR15 lower receiver parts kit they had on sale...I've had a stripped receiver sitting in the safe since early last year that needs to be put together...

I'll do an AAR after the parts are in and installed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#11]
personally, EVERYTHING we've found about tapco (ie: crapco) sucks ass...soft metal, premature wear, breakage, etc. opt for an arsenal trigger group, get a red star arms or krebs retaining plate
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
personally, EVERYTHING we've found about tapco (ie: crapco) sucks ass...soft metal, premature wear, breakage, etc. opt for an arsenal trigger group, get a red star arms or krebs retaining plate
View Quote

We who? I have 4 rifles with easily 4-5k each (and several others with lesser figures) and no issues with wear on the triggers. At what point was failure seen in your apparently extensive testing?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the first I've heard of Tapco triggers and retaining plates sucking.
I've universally heard that those are the two things they do quite well.

Looks like I'll find out one way or the other here shortly as my order has already shipped from Brownells.

If it does suck, then I'll replace it with an Arsenal Trigger group and a Red Star retaining plate. Krebs states their retaining plates don't fit Yugo guns.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are. You'll be fine. I think the guy above was maybe referring to experience with past accessories they produced many years ago. The quality/fit of their parts has gotten better the past 5 years or so. I still wouldn't get caught dead with nearly any of their stuff, but the trigger and retaining plate aren't their own design. They just bought the rights to sell them under their own name.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I've got a couple of Tapco mags that came with two of my AK's....they work as range mags.....

But the triggers and retaining plates are the only two things of theirs I'll pay for.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#16]
rental/training rifles we've had in use for several yrs.

numbers have varied; we had two ADs due to tapco triggers, namely wear on the disconnector. one was on a student's personal rifle, just over 10k; another was approaching 15k. all triggers were stock G2s installed by factory

have had a few other students who've had similar problems, one had just under 2k, but i suspect he may have used a dremel, so i dont count him.

have had two tapco AK brakes become slightly deformed leading to bullet strikes in one, failure w/ tapco mags, furniture (i've broken one of their 1st gen folding stocks due to it having a plastic pin, but it was 1st gen..), etc. Most of thier stuff is just shit in quality compared to other brands..has their QC gone up in the past few yrs? maybe...but not enough for me to justify them over other better made prdoucts. I have not used their retaining plates...namely cause of prior bad expeirences (and you can find other brands for cheaper)

on a plus note, the rest of the numerous tapco triggers (specifically), we've not had any trouble, even in rifles w/ 25-50k in rounds. But then, i've never heard or seen a stock comblock trigger have any problems, from my personal 74 w/ 40k through it or other maks and arsenals

Quoted:

We who? I have 4 rifles with easily 4-5k each (and several others with lesser figures) and no issues with wear on the triggers. At what point was failure seen in your apparently extensive testing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I installed the new G2 double hook trigger and the retaining plate today....

Evidently, the M92 PAP is known to be slightly different from other AK variants in that the trigger needs to be taken out before the safety lever can be removed. The safety lever actually gets jammed up by part of the trigger.

So on install, the safety lever had to filed to get past the trigger part, (I'm horribly with AK nomenclature. This is the part of the trigger with the spring inside it that the hammer contacts.....Sear?)

Once the parts were in I dry fired the gun and worked the action several times to see if I could replicate the initial issue.
I did not have any issues with dry firing the gun and cycling the action.

I'll be going to the range tomorrow and will shoot the M92 and see if I have an issues there as well.

Thanks again for the input guys, I do appreciate it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:29:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry, forgot about the safety lever mod.  Does the safety still work though?

Here's a pic of what it should of come out as:

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:09:07 AM EDT
[#19]
It does.

But mine doesn't look like that.

I filed the whole thing down a small amount, (not even as far as the part outlined in red), until it barely fit past the trigger disconnector.

Looking at the image you posted, I don't think I even removed 1/3 of the total amount of material of what is outlined in red.
I was using a fine hand file and it only took me about 10 minutes total to file and get to fit properly.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Went to the range today and put 100 rds through the gun with zero issues.
Would have been more, but I was also trying to shoot my first suppressor, (22LR) and pay attention to the wife shooting as well.

Regardless, zero issues.

The trigger is definitely better than it used to be, a little lighter too.
Looks like I'll be adding the trigger and retaining plate to my other two AK's as well.

Thanks for the help and information.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top