Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/17/2014 11:05:33 PM EDT
So I have a Yugo M92 built on a NDS receiver with a fake suppressor to bring to the legal length, I also have a PAP92 pistol.  So my question is what would you do, pony up the monies to do the M92 into a SBR and sell the PAP or get one of them arm braces for the PAP92.   I would be filing the SBR paperwork as an individual so I could be denied by the CLEO or the BATFE.  What do you all think would be the better avenue to take?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:21:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I have a Yugo M92 built on a NDS receiver with a fake suppressor to bring to the legal length, I also have a PAP92 pistol.  So my question is what would you do, pony up the monies to do the M92 into a SBR and sell the PAP or get one of them arm braces for the PAP92.   I would be filing the SBR paperwork as an individual so I could be denied by the CLEO or the BATFE.  What do you all think would be the better avenue to take?
View Quote

Form a trust. That being said I have 4 Sig brace equipped pistols and no SBRs currently.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:09:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd avoid the registry, bribe money, waiting period, and draconian rule set rather than not, personally.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:27:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Depends, do you really want a fixed stock? Or do you want something that does the exact same thing without the NFA process?

The former you should SBR, the latter Arm Brace it up
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:35:23 AM EDT
[#4]
SIG Brace .... fuck paperwork!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#5]
CCW + SIG brace = more freedom than SBR & NFA crap.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Folding pistol buffer tube with sig brace and AFG is looking good to me. If you don't mind drilling and tapping holes in your reciever.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I say sig brace too. I have 2 SBRs and now have 4 pistols with braces. I won't do another SBR ever. Neither does anything that the other cannot....except I can bring the the pistols to my buddies place to shoot in the neighboring state without filing more paperwork.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Am I the only one who noticed this text in red?  Is this not a giant red fucking flag for anyone else?

Why would they deny you?  Do you have a criminal background or other incident in your past that makes you a prohibited person? Because that would be the only reason either could deny you if NFA is legal in your state.  If they're denying you, you have bigger issues and should probably stop posting about your firearm collection on a public website where your IP is logged.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:15:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Only recently took interest in a pistol build.  I weighed the brace and even though it isn't "sexy" it offers certain freedoms a tax stamp doesn't.  I based my decision on that
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:03:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Am I the only one who noticed this text in red?  Is this not a giant red fucking flag for anyone else?

Why would they deny you?  Do you have a criminal background or other incident in your past that makes you a prohibited person? Because that would be the only reason either could deny you if NFA is legal in your state.  If they're denying you, you have bigger issues and should probably stop posting about your firearm collection on a public website where your IP is logged.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is it a red flag?    My record is clear and I have no problems buying guns.  When it comes to the government anything is possible, what if the sheriff in my county doesn't like my attire and decides I don't need an SBR?  There are CLEO's out there that will not sign off on the form.  The CLEO in my county is up for re-election so I probably have that in my favor.  I am not trying to skirt any laws or partake in any felonious activities.  Nice of you to be concerned about my well being though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:11:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is my take...if you can live with the looks of the brace and its somewhat clunky misuse of it then rock the sigtac like many have (including myself). If your going for authenticity and the beauty of original design and equipment (say for an example a triangle folder on your krink) then go the trust route and SBR that puppy. Another thing to keep the in mind is there are other benefits to the pistol brace such as concealed carry and interstate travel. Good luck with your adventure:)
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why is it a red flag?    My record is clear and I have no problems buying guns.  When it comes to the government anything is possible, what if the sheriff in my county doesn't like my attire and decides I don't need an SBR?  There are CLEO's out there that will not sign off on the form.  The CLEO in my county is up for re-election so I probably have that in my favor.  I am not trying to skirt any laws or partake in any felonious activities.  Nice of you to be concerned about my well being though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The law states they can only deny if there is something that causes you to be a prohibited person (and if sheriff says no, you either go to your city's chief of police or make a trust and tell em to pound sand). Therefore if you're concerned you'll be denied, that's a red flag that you feel you may be discovered to be a prohibited person.

That you don't understand any of this makes me lean toward saying just go with the arm brace and leave the nfa stuff to those who know the laws regarding it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:17:16 PM EDT
[#13]
if its the only time you would bother to NFA paperwork, no interest in cans or anything else, get the brace...

if its something you may not keep or fall in love with, get the brace...

If you live near the edge of a state border and travel back and forth, get the brace...
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#14]
The frequent travel one typically is a non-issue; it's good for a year and as feds only have a say in interstate transport, you aren't bound to keep it at the address on the f20 100% of the time. Only time it would be denied is if you wanted to take NFA to, say, Iowa and weren't an SOT.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:23:13 PM EDT
[#15]
SBR
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:25:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I had same decision to make with my PAP. I went with the brace for reasons others have posted.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:36:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The law states they can only deny if there is something that causes you to be a prohibited person (and if sheriff says no, you either go to your city's chief of police or make a trust and tell em to pound sand). Therefore if you're concerned you'll be denied, that's a red flag that you feel you may be discovered to be a prohibited person.

That you don't understand any of this makes me lean toward saying just go with the arm brace and leave the nfa stuff to those who know the laws regarding it.
View Quote

The law in WA just recently changed after 20 years banning SBRs so being refused by a CLEO isn't out of the question. Chief of Police only works if you livein city limits, who the fuck lives in town?
Trust is the best optiion and I suggested it further up, however you're making assumptions based on a newbies concern his application to make a firearm may be rejected.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

I understand all of it with the exception of why you are being somewhat contemptible about a simple question.  I didn't ask for you to imply that I had a rap sheet a mile long and that I was unfamiliar with NFA rules and regulations.  Jumping to conclusions wasn't what I requested.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Stay a free man. Don't waste money on the BATF we already pay taxes why should we pay them a bribe for our right and be treated like criminals cause of it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I understand all of it with the exception of why you are being somewhat contemptible about a simple question.  I didn't ask for you to imply that I had a rap sheet a mile long and that I was unfamiliar with NFA rules and regulations.  Jumping to conclusions wasn't what I requested.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No jumping needed. Your posts made it patently obvious you haven't really researched NFA. As that's the case, just stick with the pistol brace and once ATF rescinds their decision(s) regarding it, come join us in the NFA forum.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I say sig brace too. I have 2 SBRs and now have 4 pistols with braces. I won't do another SBR ever. Neither does anything that the other cannot....except I can bring the the pistols to my buddies place to shoot in the neighboring state without filing more paperwork.
View Quote

My thoughts exactly. I have an SBR and a Pistol Braced/folder M92 PAP.  The SBR doesnt do anything that the Pistol Braced cant except stock adjustability. That isnt worth the pain in the ass involved for the piviledge of paying  $200 to invite the ATF into your life.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top