Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2014 11:11:29 AM EDT
Took it out for the first time and the flash hider went downrange somewhere during the first magazine.   Threads are pretty badly sheared, it will go back on but is pretty loose.   Measuring what is left comes up short of a min diameter I found elsewhere for 14mmx1 threads.

Bore looks concentric to barrel so not sure what happened.   It was engaged with the front sight pin indexing it in place.  I did notice that a little extra weld was left on the front sight base and if it had been completely removed maybe I would have gotten another thread of engagement.

I thought the threads were factory or did Century somehow goof them up when breaking the weld and removing whatever was on there before?   Hider seems undamaged so not sure what caused it to go airborne.

At this point unsure what to do, if I send it back to Century, its a pain and shipping is expensive and who knows what I will get back.   Should I just have a smith recut the threads to 1/2x28?   I could then mount a SDN-6 although I am a bit wary given I already launched a hider off of it...

Bullets didn't seem to keyhole at 50 yards, but at that point I didn't shoot it much more than a few times at paper.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:28:42 AM EDT
[#1]
well, I must be the only one...  going to have it locally threaded 1/2 x 28 and on occasion use a SDN-6.   Hopefully it won't be too tough on it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:38:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Never had an issue with either of mine, threads were perfectly cut and the concentricity was measured spot on. Sounds like yours got smacked around somewhere down the line.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#3]
About 100 rounds through mine so far.  Everything stayed put on mine.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I changed the birdcage out on my Mini to a heavy muzzle break and 200 rounds later no problems.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I would be surprised if you could even thread a 7.62 barrel 1/2x28.  Is there enough wall thickness to do so with threads so small?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:05:44 AM EDT
[#6]
AAC sells a blackout for .30 with 1/2x28 threads.

Here are people going up to .355-.357 bore with that threading which does surprise me.

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=136&t=78535
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top