Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2014 7:13:42 PM EDT
I have a WASR 10/63 and I want to sbr it. Can I just get the combo front sight base and gas block than chop the barrel?

Or will I have to also change the length of the gas tube and piston to make it work?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmm, interesting, I have seen a few guns that look like they have had this kind of treatment, but not in this country. All the pictures I have seen were taken in various third world crapholes.

I don't know if the gas system would still be functional after being chopped down that much. I wouldn't want to try it myself.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:16:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a WASR 10/63 and I want to sbr it. Can I just get the combo front sight base and gas block than chop the barrel?

Or will I have to also change the length of the gas tube and piston to make it work?
View Quote

Yes it will function fine. Although you will not lose much barrel. You are basically building an AK-104, with a fixed stock. Get a correct muzzle device and drill an appropriate sized gas port.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#3]
where do it get the combo type gas block? I would like the one that is on the romanian draco pistol. Its the same size gas system as the wasr with the combo gas block/front site.

I would think I wouldn't have to drill out the gas port much and I would lose like 4" or better off the barrel. The draco has a 12" barrel.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
where do it get the combo type gas block? I would like the one that is on the romanian draco pistol. Its the same size gas system as the wasr with the combo gas block/front site.

I would think I wouldn't have to drill out the gas port much and I would lose like 4" or better off the barrel. The draco has a 12" barrel.
View Quote

http://www.k-var.com/shop/Front-Sight-Blocks/
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#5]
IMO its not worth the time and effort.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:33:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#7]
After much research I'm starting to think it would also be a lot cheaper on top of easier.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just buy a Draco and have the rear trunnion of your choice installed or get a yugo PAP and SBR it.

Changing gas blocks on an AK can quite honestly become a messy endeavor.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I second this. You can get a m92 pap for $455 shipped

And have a while nother firearm
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top