Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/15/2014 4:13:42 AM EDT
Who is everyone using to do the engraving on the M92 SBR's?  Also, where on the guns are y'all getting them engraved?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:58:56 AM EDT
[#1]
It's expensive for an individual to ship a pistol around the country. I'd see if you can find a local business to do it. I had mine done by a local AR manufacturer and they used a laser. It was an insanely quick job and only $30 or so. The downside was that they don't know the regulations on the engraving, and insisted in using a larger font. It was engraved on the bottom of the receiver in front of the magazine well. The Century M92s have a ridiculous amount of text all over them as-is, so it doesn't bother me all that much, but smaller is better when it comes to NFA engraving.

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's expensive for an individual to ship a pistol around the country. I'd see if you can find a local business to do it. I had mine done by a local AR manufacturer and they used a laser. It was an insanely quick job and only $30 or so. The downside was that they don't know the regulations on the engraving, and insisted in using a larger font. It was engraved on the bottom of the receiver in front of the magazine well. The Century M92s have a ridiculous amount of text all over them as-is, so it doesn't bother me all that much, but smaller is better when it comes to NFA engraving.

http://www.ricanhavocproductions.com/oldsite/images/bakelite-mag.jpg
View Quote

I have mine in the same spot, but running the other direction. I also use a local guy he runs a small engraving business out of his garage, charges $40 and gets the engraving as small as he can with staying inside the NFA  regulations.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have mine in the same spot, but running the other direction. I also use a local guy he runs a small engraving business out of his garage, charges $40 and gets the engraving as small as he can with staying inside the NFA  regulations.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ricanhavocproductions.com/oldsite/images/bakelite-mag.jpg

Just to be clear here: there is no size requirement for NFA engraving, only a depth requirement. People often incorrectly confuse the size requirement for the serial number as a requirement for NFA engraving.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 2:19:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By joekizanyu

Just to be clear here: there is no size requirement for NFA engraving, only a depth requirement. People often incorrectly confuse the size requirement for the serial number as a requirement for NFA engraving.
View Quote
Actually, there IS a size requirement last I checked. It is 1/16" high for the characters . Unfortunately, that's not a unit if measurement for text in any field that I know of. I guess it just makes things easier for field agents.

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Actually, there IS a size requirement last I checked. It is 1/16" high for the characters . Unfortunately, that's not a unit if measurement for text in any field that I know of. I guess it just makes things easier for field agents.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No, there is not a size requirement for NFA engraving, only for the serial number. Please review sections 7.4.1 and 7.4.2 of the ATF National Firearms Act Handbook (atf-p-5320-8).

7.4.1 Serial numbers. Each manufacturer of a firearm must legibly identify it by engraving, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing on the firearm’s frame or receiver an individual serial number not duplicating any serial number placed by the manufacturer on any other firearm.120 The requirement that the marking be “conspicuously” placed on the firearm means that the marking must be wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch.

7.4.2 Additional information. Certain additional information must also be conspicuously placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel of the firearm by engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), that is, they must be placed in such a manner that they are wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:
(1) The model, if such designation has been made;
(2) The caliber or gauge;
(3) The manufacturer’s name (or recognized abbreviation); and
(4) The city and State (or recognized abbreviation) where the manufacturer maintains its place of business.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
No, there is not a size requirement for NFA engraving, only for the serial number.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, there is not a size requirement for NFA engraving, only for the serial number.

You are correct! The Maker's info is considered "additional information."

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I see you're in GA.  I took my SBR AK to Fort Daniel in Lawrenceville.  It was 60 bucks I think and they did a great job engraving my super long trust name on the bottom of the reciever.  Also had them drill and tap it for a Manticore stock, also good work.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top