Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/13/2014 3:56:25 PM EDT
I own a Zastava OPAP currently.  I am looking for info on which AK-pistol in 7.62 x 39 to buy.  Can anyone give me the quick and dirty on any differences.  I would prefer the trigger to feel like my OPAP trigger as much as possible.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#1]
M92 made by Zastava would be the only 7.62 pistol I'd give any consideration right now.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
M92 made by Zastava would be the only 7.62 pistol I'd give any consideration right now.
View Quote

Others having problems or just a preference?
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 12:06:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I really like my M92.  And as they are both Zastavas, they should be very similar.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:00:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure I'm the resident Draco fanboy.  No problems with either of mine.  No hate for the M92, though.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:01:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I think my M92 is a real nice gun, especially in reference to what we typically see in AKs. I will say, however, that there were a lot of WTF type issues when I first got the pistol. I spent a day fixing some really odd quirks that probably resulted from hasty assembly.

• Rough lower hand guard metal was sticking in the receiver. Hand guard came out, but the metal tab did not. Filed down the offending edges...problem solved

• Lower hand guard lever was impossible to open and close. Smoothed out the groove on the barrel with a file and sanded down the front end of the handguard for a better/easier fit.

• Gas tube plunger required a hammer and punch to disengage. I took some material off of the angled cut on the gas tube and re-blued it. Problem solved

• Hammer spring was awkwardly bent and was sliding off the trigger legs. This was an annoying process of re-bending and re-installing until I got it to sit properly.

That said, it's an AK and it was $400 ($1000 after the Tax Stamp and SBR conversion) and overall it was a helluva deal for something that is a good bit nicer than the majority of AKs that I encounter. Perhaps expecting a 100% perfect fit and finish job is asking a little too much considering the price point. They sure do clean up real nice though!

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:28:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think my M92 is a real nice gun, especially in reference to what we typically see in AKs. I will say, however, that there were a lot of WTF type issues when I first got the pistol. I spent a day fixing some really odd quirks that probably resulted from hasty assembly.

• Rough lower hand guard metal was sticking in the receiver. Hand guard came out, but the metal tab did not. Filed down the offending edges...problem solved
  • Lower hand guard lever was impossible to open and close. Smoothed out the groove on the barrel with a file and sanded down the front end of the handguard for a better/easier fit.
  • Gas tube plunger required a hammer and punch to disengage. I took some material off of the angled cut on the gas tube and re-blued it. Problem solved
  • Hammer spring was awkwardly bent and was sliding off the trigger legs. This was an annoying process of re-bending and re-installing until I got it to sit properly.
That said, it's an AK and it was $400 ($1000 after the Tax Stamp and SBR conversion) and overall it was a helluva deal for something that is a good bit nicer than the majority of AKs that I encounter. Perhaps expecting a 100% perfect fit and finish job is asking a little too much considering the price point. They sure do clean up real nice though!
View Quote

Most ppl (like me) would have written that off as a lemon. Well done.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:56:16 AM EDT
[#7]
M92 is great, although I need to hit the gym in order to move the damn selector lever.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
M92 is great, although I need to hit the gym in order to move the damn selector lever.
View Quote

Me too!  Thing takes some doing!
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I filed an extra chamfer in the selector divit, now it moves easy (but not too easy).
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Any thoughts on Arsenals AK pistols?
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The one I got moves fairly easy, but the other one I looked at was very stiff, and the one that my buddy bought will barely move.  Guess I got lucky with mine.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Pretty sure I'm the resident Draco fanboy.  No problems with either of mine.  No hate for the M92, though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with Dracos.
I like Dracos.

But they're not easy to come by, nor as cheap as M92s right now.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The one I got moves fairly easy, but the other one I looked at was very stiff, and the one that my buddy bought will barely move.  Guess I got lucky with mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The selector on mine is sticky too. Now it has a Krebs lever. I ripped the wire retainer out for a plate, but I couldn't get the trigger pin, retainier plate, and safety selector in all at the same time; so I had to use the Krebs lever.

But I was planning to just dremel on the factory lever to allow it install with the trigger installed, and then just bend it some to take pressure off.

Anything wrong with those plans?

EDIT: Though I have the M85 PAP, 5.56 instead, if the M92 is like the M85, it should be a well built one. Do reccomend.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would prefer the trigger to feel like my OPAP trigger as much as possible.
View Quote

I may be mistaken, but I think the m92 is going to come with a Zastava trigger. Your OPAP has a Tapco G2 trigger, so if you want the same feel you'll need to replace the m92 trigger with a G2. I have read here and elsewhere about m92s coming with a mixture of Tapco and factory trigger parts, but I don't know that any of them come with a complete G2 trigger group.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I may be mistaken, but I think the m92 is going to come with a Zastava trigger. Your OPAP has a Tapco G2 trigger, so if you want the same feel you'll need to replace the m92 trigger with a G2. I have read here and elsewhere about m92s coming with a mixture of Tapco and factory trigger parts, but I don't know that any of them come with a complete G2 trigger group.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would prefer the trigger to feel like my OPAP trigger as much as possible.

I don't much about the trigger but I picked up the M92 today.  I am not versed in triggers, how do I know?

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#16]
The Tapco trigger (and maybe the hammer and disconnecter???) will have "Tapco G2" stamped on it. I can tell from your picture that the trigger in your M92  is a double hook trigger while the G2 in your OPAP is a single hook trigger, but that's about all I can see. Take a nice, close look at the side of your trigger...left side, I think (I don't have one in front of me)...and see if you see the Tapco stamp.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Tapco trigger (and maybe the hammer and disconnecter???) will have "Tapco G2" stamped on it. I can tell from your picture that the trigger in your M92  is a double hook trigger while the G2 in your OPAP is a single hook trigger, but that's about all I can see. Take a nice, close look at the side of your trigger...left side, I think (I don't have one in front of me)...and see if you see the Tapco stamp.
View Quote

OPAP (top one)has the Tapco G2 stamp

The M92 does not.  I will go to the range tomorrow to see if the trigger bugs me.  If so she was suppose to be a project anyway.  It was a good price at 439.00
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:18:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Thinking about either a CNC Warrior M85 or a Czechpoint 5.56 VZ 58. Anyone bought a VZ 58 pistol?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thinking about either a CNC Warrior M85 or a Czechpoint 5.56 VZ 58. Anyone bought a VZ 58 pistol?
View Quote

Are the mags proprietary or AK 5.56 mags?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. Proprietary Czech. They offer a STANAG adapter though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:47:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I just won a bid on a Draco pistol yesterday. I tried to like the M92s I saw in stores, but man are they tight.
I'll see what the Draco is like here in a couple days. Also, I liked the fact that the Draco is chrome lined.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#22]
I have just finished a M92 PAP SBR.

I preferred the thicker rear trunion for threading on my Draco SBR I built.

I used VZ58 stocks.

YMMV.

edit-
I also prefer the dustcover/sights on the Draco and the dogleg cover for a rail.
The NPAP sights are horrible.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I was really considering the VZ58 pistol, but decided to get PAP M85NP due to cost.  The VZ58 is over double the cost of my M85NP.  Both offer AR15 adapters.  I went with M85NP due to cost and there is more aftermarket support on the PAP pistols.

I wanted to be able to put brace on pistol...PAP is piece of cake to do....VX58 I believe that Stormwerkz makes an adapter, but I haven't seen anyone put brace on VZ58.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

Well the silence was deafening, I think I'll be buying this lil gem...

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:48:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Hands Down, that is one nice looking krink pistol.  That would be great to SBR with a  triangle folder.

Quoted:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/uuIWupfoI-k/maxresdefault.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/uuIWupfoI-k/maxresdefault.jpg

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top