Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/6/2014 3:19:49 PM EDT
I'm having a hard time trying to decide if I want the stock straight with the lines of the reciever (use some type of shim) or if I'm ok with the angle of the rear and just go with that. The angle doesn't bug me too much but, it still is in the back of my brain. I've got one shot here. I've seen many of everyone's builds that just rolled with the slight angle and they do look good. Any "if I could do it over again" thoughts from you folks? I either drill and tap parallel to the lines of the reciever or exactly perpendicular to the rear trunion. Talk to me.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Shim.  

Or do what I did and use a folding mechanism that accounts for the angle.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:20:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shim.  

Or do what I did and use a folding mechanism that accounts for the angle.
View Quote

Do tell. Who makes it?

Do you have a pic?
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 5:50:12 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a CNCWarrior/Bonesteel folding mech. Only gripe is the length it adds to the firearm, IMO.

ETA: it's a single hole to drill instead of 2.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's a CNCWarrior/Bonesteel folding mech. Only gripe is the length it adds to the firearm, IMO.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc141/natebedair/48506425-92B7-44B2-84E0-94D9C5AF958F_zpszg6vztkq.jpg

View Quote

That's cool. Too bad none of the other manufactures do an angle that offsets the rear like that one. It is a bit long. I was trying to check out their threaded for buffer tube option but it doesn't come up.

Do you or anyone know of any other angle offset mounts?

Nice hand guards by the way
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:21:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Drill and tap. No regrets. Would do it all over again.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#6]
You need a wedge if you want the stock completely straight with the line of the barrel -

There's a dude who makes them.
I'll sell you mine if you want, I was going to use it on an M85 build but that never came to be.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's cool. Too bad none of the other manufactures do an angle that offsets the rear like that one. It is a bit long. I was trying to check out their threaded for buffer tube option but it doesn't come up.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc141/natebedair/48506425-92B7-44B2-84E0-94D9C5AF958F_zpszg6vztkq.jpg

I don't. Sorry.

Thanks about the HG. I'm restaining them today. Want a darker, redder color.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I saw last night that Stormwerkz makes a 6 degree angle correction sling plate. Anyone have any experience with these? I went ahead and ordered one to try out.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I've never used it, but Stormwerkz makes good stuff.  You should be GTG.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:01:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I used the Stormworks hinge with the Manticore stock.  I think it works perfect (at least for me).  The last time I shouldered it I actually thought I am glad that I did not go with the shim.  Right now I am just using irons, but I plan on putting some kind of red dot on top.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 3:51:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I used the manticor triangle stock so for that type I actually sort of prefer the downward cant. If I was going to put an ar type tube and stock on it I'd probably want it straight. Also if I was going to mount an optic way up high like on the gas tube I'd probably want it straight. Mines on the stormwerkz rail so its low enough for me to easily see through it with the downward cant.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:43:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I appreciate all of the opinions on these guys! Good info
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:34:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I have the Stormwerkz 6 degree plate.  It's really designed to have that loop on the LH side, but I put mine on the RH because I was using their folding mechanism as well.  It doesn't look at good with the loop on the RH, but it works.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Hard for me to get a good cheek weld on my Manticore folder; I never saw this shim bit but I think I'd prefer it.  Took it out and laid a couple layers of 100 mph tape to the stock for the cheek weld.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:44:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm having a hard time trying to decide if I want the stock straight with the lines of the reciever (use some type of shim) or if I'm ok with the angle of the rear and just go with that. The angle doesn't bug me too much but, it still is in the back of my brain. I've got one shot here. I've seen many of everyone's builds that just rolled with the slight angle and they do look good. Any "if I could do it over again" thoughts from you folks? I either drill and tap parallel to the lines of the reciever or exactly perpendicular to the rear trunion. Talk to me.
View Quote

I bought a sling attachment from Stormwerkz that has a 6 degree slant that accounts for the angle of the receiver so I can tap it straight & shim it when I get my stamp.
I'm going to use one of the solid Russian-style Manticore triangle stocks & I like the straight line look better.

Link here:
http://stormwerkz.com/accessories/ak-sling-plates/

ETA: Never mind. I should have read the whole thread.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have the Stormwerkz 6 degree plate.  It's really designed to have that loop on the LH side, but I put mine on the RH because I was using their folding mechanism as well.  It doesn't look at good with the loop on the RH, but it works.
View Quote

I found this out just recently as well... wish they made a non sling point version
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Cut it off and file it?
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 5:42:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Cut it off and file it?
View Quote

That's what I think I'm gonna end up doing. I'm just amazed that more manufactures don't make a plate similar to this.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:15:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's what I think I'm gonna end up doing. I'm just amazed that more manufactures don't make a plate similar to this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cut it off and file it?

Its going to be awhile but when I catch up with other products I will have plates without the loop as well.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Its going to be awhile but when I catch up with other products I will have plates without the loop as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cut it off and file it?

This is good news as this will not be my last one of these I tinker around with. These pistols are a blast and I'm just getting started!! I'm waiting on one more piece to my current project then I'll post up some pics.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 12:02:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Pics as promised. I am glad I went the drill and tap straight with angle adapter method. I think the angle would eventually start to bug me.

The sling point is useless on the left side with with a folding adapter but, at least it isn't in the way and had to be cut off!

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Pics as promised. I am glad I went the drill and tap straight with angle adapter method. I think the angle would eventually start to bug me.

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr209/millertyme81/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps53281069.jpg

The sling point is useless on the left side with with a folding adapter but, at least it isn't in the way and had to be cut off!
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr209/millertyme81/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6e0b60f1.jpg
View Quote

Lol, is it just me or does the buffertube/brace appear to be angling up now???
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#24]
It looks that way to me also.  How do you like the cheekweld with the adapter?  If I just put the hinge on there, can I go back later and add the angled wedge later with longer bolts?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr209/millertyme81/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps53281069.jpg

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr209/millertyme81/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6e0b60f1.jpg

I thought that as well when i first took the pic!!! It's not, It is an illusion or something. I actually had to double check it because I thought the same thing!
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It looks that way to me also.  How do you like the cheekweld with the adapter?  If I just put the hinge on there, can I go back later and add the angled wedge later with longer bolts?
View Quote

Cheek weld is perfect!!! You have to decide if your drill and tapping it straight on or perpendicular to the angle of the rear trunion. I guess you could drill/tap it straight and just secure the hinge that way. Your bolts just wont secure properly flat to your hinge.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:07:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Darnit!  I was afraid of that.  I guess I'll just go ahead and order the wedge.  I just got the hinge and the manticore in the mail yesterday and I was trying to see how it worked with that angled rear of the M92.  Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:51:12 PM EDT
[#28]
How much length does that wedge add?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:26:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How much length does that wedge add?
View Quote

1/4"- maybe 3/8"
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:29:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Not the most scientific but, you get the idea. The optical illusion is gone.
The rubber of the pistol brace actually has a sort of bow in it...

Without pistol brace:
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:45:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Darnit!  I was afraid of that.  I guess I'll just go ahead and order the wedge.  I just got the hinge and the manticore in the mail yesterday and I was trying to see how it worked with that angled rear of the M92.  Thanks for the input.
View Quote

Anytime! This ak sbr/ pistol forum has been very helpful for me as well. I appreciate everyone's help, comments and suggestions in here.  If I can lend a hand, I'm happy to!
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#32]
can someone post where i can get the drill and tap bit, and what screw to use?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#33]
So, do the bolts go through both the wedge and the hinge?  Does the head go inside the AK trunion?  What length did you get and where did you get them from?  Any chance you could take some pics of how it's bolted together?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
can someone post where i can get the drill and tap bit, and what screw to use?
View Quote

You can get the set at HD or any decent hardware store. It is a #21 drill bit with a 10/32 NF tap. It comes together in a blister type package or you can buy them separate. I suggest getting two each. Many folks have broken taps doing this project including myself. The rear trunion is very hard metal. If you buy the 6 degree sling plate, it comes with pan heads (if your doing just the plate as it is) as well as the longer hex head bolts that you need to attach folding mechanisms or just tube adapter alone. Fyi, because you asked, the screws are also 10/32 NF. Some tips: Use a center punch tool so your bit doesn't walk, use smaller bits up until you are ready for the #21 bit and when tapping, use oil and go slow.

The most important thing is take your time!

And of course, post up a pic when your done!!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So, do the bolts go through both the wedge and the hinge?  Does the head go inside the AK trunion?  What length did you get and where did you get them from?  Any chance you could take some pics of how it's bolted together?  Thanks.
View Quote

Yes, if your using a hinge then the first pair of bolts go through the hinge and then the wedge threading into the rear trunion that you drilled and tapped. I'm not sure on the length of the bolts. I want to say they are 1 1/4" in length. They come with the wedge. No, the head seats down against the inside of the hinge. I can shoot some pics for you when I get home later tonight if you like.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:26:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks 775Patriot.  I ordered the wedge today, so I can't wait until it gets here.  My hinge did not come with bolts so I don't know what length to get, but since you said the wedge comes with them I'll go ahead and go pick up just the drill and tap.  Thanks again for all your input.  It helped a lot.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Thanks 775Patriot.  I ordered the wedge today, so I can't wait until it gets here.  My hinge did not come with bolts so I don't know what length to get, but since you said the wedge comes with them I'll go ahead and go pick up just the drill and tap.  Thanks again for all your input.  It helped a lot.
View Quote

Awesome! Anytime.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#38]
I did not use a shim on mine and it shoulders and sights perfectly. It's got a low mounted red dot on the stormwerkz mount.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#39]
775patriot what folding adapter is that?
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:23:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
775patriot what folding adapter is that?
View Quote

Ace. Request "without boss" in the comments. You'll see what I mean in the description on their site.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I was not aware that Stormwerkz is now making a wedge plate.  I will talk to Josh and we will see about getting a few in stock.

I will also see if he can make a version that doesn't have the sling loop.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I saw last night that Stormwerkz makes a 6 degree angle correction sling plate. Anyone have any experience with these? I went ahead and ordered one to try out.

http://stormwerkz.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/SP-AK-02.jpg

I was not aware that Stormwerkz is now making a wedge plate.  I will talk to Josh and we will see about getting a few in stock.

I will also see if he can make a version that doesn't have the sling loop.

Sven
Manticore Arms

He did mention offering them without the loop as well sometime down the line. Maybe give him a nudge Sven!
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:43:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top