Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/22/2014 1:11:18 PM EDT
So I shot my M92 the other day, and on a couple of magazines was getting light primer strikes about every other round (I think it was Tulammo).  That is, the primer was dented but did not fire.  Has anybody else had any problems with this?  Is it the gun or the ammo?

Update 7/23/14
So I took the dust cover off, charged the gun, and dry fired a few times.  About 50% of the time, the firing pin will not reset.  Is there anything I can do to fix this, or do I need to send it somewhere?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd bet it's the ammo. However, did you clean the firing pin channel of cosmoline?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't clean the firing pin channel of cosmolene, but I don't remember seeing much in there.  I have shot this gun before, and haven't had any other issues with it until now.  This weekend I put two magazines through it that functioned fine, then the third and fourth mags was when it was having the issue.  I'll check the channel tonight.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:26:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Can only tell ya that mine shoots Tula fine.

I'd posit that any AK type action should fire any Russian steel round fine, so I'd investigate firing pin and/or channel.

- OS
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Can only tell ya that mine shoots Tula fine.

I'd posit that any AK type action should fire any Russian steel round fine, so I'd investigate firing pin and/or channel. Hammer and spring all seem normal and hammer pin hasn't walked out?

- OS
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you pulling the trigger and getting a hammer drop? The reason I ask is I finally got to shoot my M92. It did fine offhand, but for some reason I had a couple of instances of the hammer not resetting or the carrier short-stroking when shooting from a rest. I'd start to squeeze the trigger but it was already tripped. Upon pulling the carrier to the rear an unfired cartridge would eject. There were indentations in the primers from the free-floating firing pin. I didn't want it to start doubling on me, so I packed it up and haven't had a chance to look it over.

Ammo was Golden Tiger, but I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Update 7/23/14
So I took the dust cover off, charged the gun, and dry fired a few times.  About 50% of the time, the firing pin will not reset.  Is there anything I can do to fix this, or do I need to send it somewhere?
View Quote

Dunno what your status is on this, but the firing pin does not reset at all, it's floating in channel.

Perhaps it is as ClockWork says, your hammer is not resetting?

The slight indentation in primer is probably not a clue, as both ARs and most AKs can do that when a round is chambered just from force of bolt slamming home with the floating firing pin.

- OS
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 1:25:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I did some searching and it looks like a few others have had the same problem I'm having. So I'm guessing Detn8r is as well unless he's actually getting hammer drops and failures to fire. As OhShoot said the AK's firing pin free floats. A cartridge loading against the bolt face resets it by pushing it in.

There doesn't seem to be a general consensus, but it's apparently an fire control group issue. I'll have to take a look at mine and see what I can figure out. I have several AKs and have never had this issue.

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 11:56:32 PM EDT
[#8]
The hammer is resetting every time, as near as I can tell, and dropping when I pull the trigger.  I ran probably 20 rounds through it a couple of days ago, with no more issues, but still am not confident the problem has been fixed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:43:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I looked mine over and dried fired it repeatedly. Everything looks fine and I couldn't get it to replicate the issue with hand cycling and dry firing. I guess I'll just have to wait until it happens again and take a look under the receiver cover then.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:35:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I looked mine over and dried fired it repeatedly. Everything looks fine and I couldn't get it to replicate the issue with hand cycling and dry firing. I guess I'll just have to wait until it happens again and take a look under the receiver cover then.

View Quote

Not running a buffer in it are you?

How about you, Detn8?

- OS
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Make sure hammer and trigger pins are all the way in and being properly retained by Shepards Hook. Clean bolt with pressurized solvent. Make sure firing pin channel is clean.  Make sure hammer spring is installed properly and spring legs are in correct place.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:13:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How about you, Detn8?

- OS
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about you, Detn8?

- OS

A buffer as in one of the ones that slips on to the recoil spring? No. The pistol is stock with exception to the M92 booster I timed and installed.

Hizzie, if you are talking to me, I checked for walking pins and shifting springs. The hook is in place and I cleaned everything before shooting.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I had this same problem, thought the firing pin was bad, found out on another forum that the firing pin should float freely, and be easy to move in the bolt. Apparently this is a problem with new in the box M92s, My pin was simply gunked up from the cosmoline, and once i cleaned it, no problem.
I started shooting it straight out go the box.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:06:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How about you, Detn8?

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about you, Detn8?

- OS

No, no buffer tube on mine.  It is bone stock with the exception of an SB-47.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about you, Detn8?

- OS

No, I meant internal buffer that goes on over the recoil spring:

- OS

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:47:39 PM EDT
[#16]
SB47 you say?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_98/155840_SB47_Brace_Interferes_With_Tapco_G2_Trigger_on_PAP_M92.html

Someone else can hotlink it please.

The SB47 brace also interferes with the stock trigger, just slightly. I dremeled it as in the above link straight out of the box. 300 rds later not a single hiccup.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 12:47:56 AM EDT
[#17]
You should be able to fix your self. You can try soaking it in your gun cleaner to remove the grease in the bore. If that doesn’t work you will have to remove the firing pin. It probably wont "reset" there is no spring but clean it anyways.

AK Bolt Disassembly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTxC3lXAxro
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:18:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
SB47 you say?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_98/155840_SB47_Brace_Interferes_With_Tapco_G2_Trigger_on_PAP_M92.html

Someone else can hotlink it please.

The SB47 brace also interferes with the stock trigger, just slightly. I dremeled it as in the above link straight out of the box. 300 rds later not a single hiccup.
View Quote

I will have to look into that.  I shot it again the week after without the brace, and it seemed to work fine.  My guess is that either this or the ammo itself is the problem.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top