Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/13/2014 3:11:57 AM EDT
I'm going to be purchasing an ak pistol in the near future. Who makes the best folding stock adapter that would let me attach a kak super sb15 tube and an sb15 that folds to the left side keeping the charging handle and safety clear?
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#1]
CNC Warrior has this one with what looks like a KAK type tube.  FYI, they also sell a drill kit used to install their stocks on PAPs.

http://www.cncwarrior.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=26561
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Go with an ace folding mech, I went with stormwerks and it sucks. Have to slap the shit of it to open but closes nicely. Also had to knarl the top of the mech above the pin so it would stop walking out...grrrrrr
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 10:44:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go with an ace folding mech, I went with stormwerks and it sucks. Have to slap the shit of it to open but closes nicely. Also had to knarl the top of the mech above the pin so it would stop walking out...grrrrrr
View Quote

I wish you would have contacted StormWerkz, I would have simply given you a replacement.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 12:19:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I wish you would have contacted StormWerkz, I would have simply given you a replacement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some things I send back, some things I fix myself. This time I did the latter, and its working fine for my purposes until I can afford a triangle folder conversion. S'all good
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#5]
So you bash on a company and then you say it's alright when the company tries to make things right for you?  Pretty lame.

I own both the ACE and Stormwerkz folding mechanism and will say the Stormwerkz is much better then the ACE.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 11:43:46 PM EDT
[#6]
If you don't want to drill, I've heard combo of these work well,  thinking about doing it myself:

(that one is for PAP, also there's model made for standard AK/Drago)

plus:

equals:

'Bout 105 clams for the pair plus shipping.

http://www.usmachinegun.com

Then can use any buffer tube like KAK for AR and an AR-15 brace, which I see as an advantage.

- OS

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:10:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the above combo...

It works great and offers a great LOP.

My only complaints are that the folding mechanism has a bit of wobble in it and the finish is a painted on gloss instead of the parkerized finish in the mount
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So you bash on a company and then you say it's alright when the company tries to make things right for you?  Pretty lame.

I own both the ACE and Stormwerkz folding mechanism and will say the Stormwerkz is much better then the ACE.
View Quote

If I wanted them to make things right with me I would have went to them, not here to have you talk shit.
I didnt bash the company, I bashed the folding mechanism they make that folds to the left and accepts an ar15 buffer tube. The OP was looking for advice and I gave him mine from personal experience and recommendation.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:03:29 PM EDT
[#9]
You said it suck...I'd say that is bashing a company if the company produced the product you said "sucked."  I wasn't talking shit, I was saying your comments were lame and I stand by my comment.  You must not get out much if you think I was talking shit about you.  Learn to have thicker skin, this is the internet.

It's one thing if you got a defective product and you contacted that company and if the outcome wasn't to your liking to make your comment.  Instead, you said the product sucked and you didn't even contact the company to attempt to resolve the issue with the product.

There is a huge difference between warning others of an ongoing issue versus making a comment which you are the first person I've ever seen to complain about their folding mechanism.

Stormwerkz isn't the only game in town, but I'll tell you what...I'm a fan of that folding mechanism and I'll be buying more in the future.

Quoted:

If I wanted them to make things right with me I would have went to them, not here to have you talk shit.
I didnt bash the company, I bashed the folding mechanism they make that folds to the left and accepts an ar15 buffer tube. The OP was looking for advice and I gave him mine from personal experience and recommendation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:14:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You said it suck...I'd say that is bashing a company if the company produced the product you said "sucked."  I wasn't talking shit, I was saying your comments were lame and I stand by my comment.  You must not get out much if you think I was talking shit about you.  Learn to have thicker skin, this is the internet.

It's one thing if you got a defective product and you contacted that company and if the outcome wasn't to your liking to make your comment.  Instead, you said the product sucked and you didn't even contact the company to attempt to resolve the issue with the product.

There is a huge difference between warning others of an ongoing issue versus making a comment which you are the first person I've ever seen to complain about their folding mechanism.

Stormwerkz isn't the only game in town, but I'll tell you what...I'm a fan of that folding mechanism and I'll be buying more in the future.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I also have both, and the Stormwerkz is better than the Ace. The Ace isn't near as strong & well made.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 2:34:01 AM EDT
[#11]
PM sent

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the ACE. Just ordered a StormWerkz. Can anyone tell me if the bolt-pattern is the same?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have the ACE. Just ordered a StormWerkz. Can anyone tell me if the bolt-pattern is the same?
View Quote

Yes, it's the same.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks. ACE folder works ok. Don't know if mine just needs broken in more? Figured I would try both and keep whichever works the best.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nicely done, Sir.  I just received my new M92 and will be looking into StormWerkz for the folding adapter.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:30:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Got my StormWerkz adapter. I prefer the ACE.

With the ACE you can lock it in the unfolded position just by swinging it out. Where as the SW model you have to push up and then swing. ACE has a rounded bottom corner that pushes the stock up as you unfold which allows this.
Also the SW seems "rougher". The part that mounts to the backside of the AK receiver is not milled flush with the part that swings, so when its unfolded there's a small gap between the receiver and mounting block.
Finally, the area that the buffer tube threads into is open on the SW model, so when the stock is folded you will see inside the hollow buffer tube, the ACE is solid.

Not a huge deal. I bought the SW to see which I would prefer. Both are a fine choice either way. Just a few of the differences I noticed and my reasoning why I would suggest the ACE over StormWerkz.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

With the ACE you can lock it in the unfolded position just by swinging it out. Where as the SW model you have to push up and then swing. ACE has a rounded bottom corner that pushes the stock up as you unfold which allows this.
Also the SW seems "rougher". The part that mounts to the backside of the AK receiver is not milled flush with the part that swings, so when its unfolded there's a small gap between the receiver and mounting block.
Finally, the area that the buffer tube threads into is open on the SW model, so when the stock is folded you will see inside the hollow buffer tube, the ACE is solid.

Not a huge deal. I bought the SW to see which I would prefer. Both are a fine choice either way. Just a few of the differences I noticed and my reasoning why I would suggest the ACE over StormWerkz.
View Quote

Great information, thanks!
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:44:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting.  Trying to decide what I want to do. THanks for the review.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#19]
The only thing about the ACE- is that it's designed for their AK trunion which has the vertical oval-shaped hole in the center to prevent rotation of the folder. That has to be ground down. SW model is already flat (but not flush with rest of block as mentioned)
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Just as further info, I went with the CNC modular hinge.

There are things I love about it:
1) 1 hand flip from folded to open, but the folded has decent tension on it.
2) Ease of installation-1 hole to drill, nut fits inside of trunnion. Get that 1 hole right, you're done.
3) Corrects for the angle at the rear of the M92.
4) Modular, so you can chose your favorite stock
    A) Manticore triangle for me
    B) ACE
    C) CNC (multiple options)
    D) AR (provided you have a pig nose adapter)

And at least 1 thing of which I'm not a fan:
It's a LONG adapter. Probably close to 1.5x or 2x the length of an ACE (0.75") or Stormwerkz (0.625") when open. Of course, an ACE or Stormwerkz would add some length if you add a wedge to correct the angle...  

ETA: the extra length would be desirable for those who prefer to use the pistol brace to increase LOP.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just as further info, I went with the CNC modular hinge.

There are things I love about it (1 hand flip from folded to open, but the folded has decent tension on it). Ease of installation (1 hole to drill, nut fits inside of trunnion. Get that 1 hole right, you're done). Corrects for the angle at the rear of the M92. Modular, so you can chose your favorite stock (Manticore triangle for me, but any ACE, CNC or even AR [provided you] have a pig nose adapter)

And at least 1 thing I'm not a giant fan of... It's a LONG adapter. Probably close to 1.5x or 2x the length of an ACE (0.75") or Stormwerkz when open. Of course, an ACE or Stormwerkz would add some length if you add a wedge to correct the angle...
View Quote

Pictures?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Great people!
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:09:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:snip

Pictures?
View Quote
iPotato pics
AR stock, pig nose adapter, CNCWarrior folding mech. This set up was only used because my ManticoreArms triangle stock was lost by USPS. MA shipped me a replacement within a week.

ManticoreArms triangle stock (VERY nice piece, great people!), CNCWarrior folding mechanism

Form1 will be filed next week.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Any folding adapters that you can thread the sb47 into ?
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Any folding adapters that you can thread the sb47 into ?
View Quote

Sb47 uses the same buffer tube threads as the sb15 or any ar15 adapter...
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#26]
thanks
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#27]
will these folding stock/AR tube adaptors work w/ dracos/mini dracos also?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you don't want to drill, I've heard combo of these work well,  thinking about doing it myself:

http://www.usmachinegun.com/prodimages/DSC06973.JPG

http://www.usmachinegun.com/prodimages/DSC05998.JPG

plus:

http://www.usmachinegun.com/prodimages/DSC03145.JPG

equals:

http://www.usmachinegun.com/prodimages/DSC06982.JPG

Then can use any buffer tube like KAK for AR and an AR-15 brace, which I see as an advantage.

- OS

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#29]
sorry, meant the CNC warrior one or the ACE/SW ones...? none say on the sites, but i dont see how it couldnt...

anyone else besides usmachine gunners make a non-permenant/have to drill into rear tang model?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I went with the ACE and couldn't be happier.

But damn she's a heavy beast.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

http://i61.tinypic.com/ehytr5.jpg
View Quote

Is there an added wedge in there between adapter and rear trunnion?

That is the setup I am leaning towards but in all honesty not sure where to start in selecting a wedge (material type mostly)
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

http://i61.tinypic.com/ehytr5.jpg
View Quote

what exact ace pieces did you use?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:52:14 PM EDT
[#33]

I could swear I saw an ACE folding adapter that was threaded for a buffer tube but didn't have the larger "AR End Plate" shape
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:23:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Personally to me a folding stock adapter for the brace cuts it a little too close to that thin red line between a pistol and an unregistered SBR...
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I could swear I saw an ACE folding adapter that was threaded for a buffer tube but didn't have the larger "AR End Plate" shape
View Quote

Maybe you saw the ACE 'pignose' ($20-30) screwed into the regular ACE hinge ($60-70)?? Has an anti rotation screw to hold buffer tube as well.

http://riflestocks.com/store/product29.html

This is what I used and the person 5 posts up.. its an ACE hinge with built-in AR tube adaptor.. $79

http://riflestocks.com/store/product106.html

Mine as it sits...  

@akiraproject24 I used a 'wedge' from 'wildbill' on the 'files'.. was $$ ($55).. I am sure you can make something cheaper.. some people run NO wedge and are happy.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Maybe you saw the ACE 'pignose' ($20-30) screwed into the regular ACE hinge ($60-70)?? Has an anti rotation screw to hold buffer tube as well.

http://riflestocks.com/store/media/imges/ss_size1/A510-PN-1.jpg

This is what I used and the person 5 posts up.. its an ACE hinge with built-in AR tube adaptor.. $79

Mine as it sits...  

http://executiveprotectionservice.us/forums/AM92PISTOL/762AKpistol.jpg

@akiraproject24 I used a 'wedge' from 'wildbill' on the 'files'.. was $$ ($55).. I am sure you can make something cheaper.. some people run NO wedge and are happy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://riflestocks.com/store/media/imges/ss_size1/A510-PN-1.jpg

Mine as it sits...  

http://executiveprotectionservice.us/forums/AM92PISTOL/762AKpistol.jpg

Appreciate the breakdown.  Not sure which set up to use yet.  I am thinking that the Pignose with the AK Hinge will drop the cheekweld  lower. Ill just have to try them both lol.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:43:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Have a SW hinge on my Draco with a RR tube and brace, works great and super quality item. Also have SW krink scope mount and AR-180 scope mount, all high quality products.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Sure wish someone would design a direct folding adapter to use the sb47 with the m92... :)
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#39]
I gave this a lot of thought myself and in the end I chose to go with the StormWerkz hinge and universal carbine adapter.  I felt that this would give me the greatest flexibility for any future changes.

First, I drilled the trunnion based on the position of the universal carbine adapter - it has holes rather than vertical slots like the hinge.  If the folding aspect of the brace ever comes under fire, I can remove the hinge and attach the universal carbine adapter directly to the receiver for a non-folding brace.

Second, if the brace itself ever gets banned, I can go the SBR route and bolt a Manticore triangle stock directly to the hinge.

I know many people are also concerned about the angle of the receiver without a shim, but I actually prefer the small bit of drop in the stock.  It also makes for a much cleaner install IMO.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:11:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I gave this a lot of thought myself and in the end I chose to go with the StormWerkz hinge and universal carbine adapter.  I felt that this would give me the greatest flexibility for any future changes.

First, I drilled the trunnion based on the position of the universal carbine adapter - it has holes rather than vertical slots like the hinge.  If the folding aspect of the brace ever comes under fire, I can remove the hinge and attach the universal carbine adapter directly to the receiver for a non-folding brace.

Second, if the brace itself ever gets banned, I can go the SBR route and bolt a Manticore triangle stock directly to the hinge.

I know many people are also concerned about the angle of the receiver without a shim, but I actually prefer the small bit of drop in the stock.  It also makes for a much cleaner install IMO.

http://i59.tinypic.com/208wjo2.jpg
View Quote

Well done!  This is very clean looking.  I am going to look at the SW site for these items.  If I run into any questions I may shoot ya a pm.  Thanks for that pic!
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have the above combo...

It works great and offers a great LOP.

My only complaints are that the folding mechanism has a bit of wobble in it and the finish is a painted on gloss instead of the parkerized finish in the mount
View Quote

Same here except i got this adapter, I liked the welded look better than the USmachineguns version. I chose this set up for the same reason of LOP increase. Plus it raised the level of the buffer tube and got rid of all the "slant"

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sure wish someone would design a direct folding adapter to use the sb47 with the m92... :)
View Quote

Do you mean like this?

I used this with my sb47 brace, its aluminum so it'll wear out but for light to moderate use it should be fine. My tread with pics here.

Judging by the wear, I'd say that is what was used on the pic above this.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Do you mean like this?

I used this with my sb47 brace, its aluminum so it'll wear out but for light to moderate use it should be fine. My tread with pics here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you mean like this?

Close, but I mean for the sb47 brace, not the sb15. It would have to be very innovative but I think it could be done.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#44]
so i went w/ an ACE (gonna do a stormwerkz whenever they get back in stock...) for my first folding adaptor. locks up solid like the rest. as a note, i used a AR tube adaptor, it seems to only fold on the left side

process: it was my first one so it took about 2hrs, lol. installed on a mini-draco.

You have to grind off the ACE pig nose hump, which i did w/ a bench grinder. it went off easy. recoated w/ black krylon. i simply eyeballed the hole and used a punch to mark the hole entrance

drilling was the toughest part, used a 7/64 bit to drill a pilot hole, i drilled one mounting hole then aligned it and a second mounting hole. used a 11/64 bit for the final drill hole then tapped it w/ a 10-32 tap

some tips: use lots of oil, i used motor oil for the drill bits, CLP for the "cutting oil" on the tap (you want it a thin oil as i was told)
drill pilot holes first. on the first one, i screwed up, ended up placing the hole measurement too high, and ended up drilling partially into the reinforcing rear trunion block..it was a bitch and i ended up breaking a bit cause it was too stiff and i didnt vice it properly in the bench drill press

the second screw hole was a lot easier, but i did it slightly off angle, i did it by hand. started the pilot hole via hand w/ AK viced in vice w./ wood blocks in middle. then finished the hole in drill press. I drilled this one lower so i only had to go into the rear plate and not the entire block

gonna shoot it today, seemed to be good to go. now to see if the actual pistol works relaiably

tapping was easy, just go slow, dont do too much tension/torque on it. when you feel that, just back off, clean it, repeat.

ace hing locked tight. used a sig brace FDE on a phase 5 pistol tube, which ran shorter than others, but i like it
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:29:54 AM EDT
[#45]
update:

using a Stormwerkz folding M4 mechanism. and the new SBX sig brace. first, the good: the SW bracket is GREAT, shipping (when it finally came back into stock was very fast...took a shit time to get back in stock though, lol; so if you see one, jump on it). the bracket is very well made, better than the ACE imo, solid and hefty but functional.

the negative on the SW bracket: you have to push down to actually open the stock/brace. I know why it locks into place, but for a fighting gun, i dont like how you have to push buttons/levers/take time to actuall mount and shoot.

other than that, its all good to go. the SBX brace is very stable, just as stable as the original. its solid, but its streamlined, noticibly less bulky and cause of its design allows you to access the trigger area from either the left/right side w/ the brace folded (the original would not, as the extra bulk covered one side of the trigger)

will advise on how it holds up
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 3:54:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
update:

using a Stormwerkz folding M4 mechanism. and the new SBX sig brace. first, the good: the SW bracket is GREAT, shipping (when it finally came back into stock was very fast...took a shit time to get back in stock though, lol; so if you see one, jump on it). the bracket is very well made, better than the ACE imo, solid and hefty but functional.

the negative on the SW bracket: you have to push down to actually open the stock/brace. I know why it locks into place, but for a fighting gun, i dont like how you have to push buttons/levers/take time to actuall mount and shoot.

other than that, its all good to go. the SBX brace is very stable, just as stable as the original. its solid, but its streamlined, noticibly less bulky and cause of its design allows you to access the trigger area from either the left/right side w/ the brace folded (the original would not, as the extra bulk covered one side of the trigger)

will advise on how it holds up
View Quote

Do you have any pics? I'm curious how it looks
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

http://www.usmachinegun.com/prodimages/DSC06973.JPG

http://www.usmachinegun.com/prodimages/DSC05998.JPG

plus:

http://www.usmachinegun.com/prodimages/DSC03145.JPG

equals:

http://www.usmachinegun.com/prodimages/DSC06982.JPG

- OS

View Quote

Followup post on this, thought I had posted results here, but that was another thread I guess. Been using it for a couple months.

Basic take, the under-grip adapter to buffer tube threads is all aces, rock solid, locks in great, not just "prongs" holding it like a SB15. The folding adapter is "adequate", locks up solid horizontally, but a good bit of play vertically right from the outset. On the positive side though, I don't notice that at all when shouldered, is just fine so far.

All in all, even though both adapters together are a bit over a c note, it's a super easy peasy way to get to a buffer tube with this heater for use with a SIG brace,  no gunsmithing required. Even cheaper of course if you just want non-folding buffer tube capability, in which case it would be as solid as AR or any other method on AK. Tell ya the truth, a primary reason I even wanted it to fold was to still fit a groovy case I already had for it before.

- OS
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top