Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2014 6:17:31 PM EDT
can either an ACE or Stomrwerkz hinge be directly attached to the rear of an AK pistol w/o getting an ACE internal receiver block by drilling holes in the rear of the receiver?

Just curious.

Have never owned an AK pistol before.

Thanks for sharing your expertise, guys!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#1]
The StormWerkz hinges are a direct bolt on with AK pistols.
The flat trunnion gets drilled and tapped
10-32 tpi and .625(5/8) center to center.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Ace hinges can be bolted on as well.

PSA: don't do it without a stamp, or without first welding/pinning on a barrel extension.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:50:02 PM EDT
[#3]
With the ACE hinge you need to mill or grind off the raised area so it sits flush.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Good point.

The ridge is there so the hinge can be adjusted when installed on an Ace receiver block.

But they do just fine on their own!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:38:42 AM EDT
[#5]
its fine to add it and a buffer tube without a stamp the buffer tube is not a stock just like on a AR. You can then add a sb15 brace and have an sbr without the 200 buck tax.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:18:28 AM EDT
[#6]
THANKS for all the GOOD INFO, guys!

You GUYS ROCK!

Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:35:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
its fine to add it and a buffer tube without a stamp the buffer tube is not a stock just like on a AR. You can then add a sb15 brace and have an sbr without the 200 buck tax.
View Quote

I was curious about this route as well. I was under the impression that it was "OK" on AR pistols because most AR's need the buffer/tube to function, not so much the case with the AK...

I would love to know where you got this info from because I too would like to slap a StormWerkz and BT on my Mini Draco and be good to go.

Thanks,
Matt
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:10:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I would like to know where you get its not legal to add a receiver extension < that is what the ATF calls a buffer tube> and a arm brace to a pistol ?

If you want proof then send a letter to the ATF asking if its ok and when you get another letter back saying its good to go you can post it and have a bunch of people say OH that is no good they are going to reverse it.

The info is out there go find it if you don't think the info is good enough then don't do it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey man, I wasn't bashing you. In fact, I was and still am on your team. I just had never heard what you said before is all. Sorry if I inadvertently ruffled some feathers.

Matt
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would like to know where you get its not legal to add a receiver extension < that is what the ATF calls a buffer tube> and a arm brace to a pistol ?

If you want proof then send a letter to the ATF asking if its ok and when you get another letter back saying its good to go you can post it and have a bunch of people say OH that is no good they are going to reverse it.

The info is out there go find it if you don't think the info is good enough then don't do it.
View Quote

I am not so sure it is OK to add a receiver extension by way of an adapter to the AK platform pistol.  It "is" ok on an AR and the arm brace that fits on the extension was designed for the AR platform, not the AK platform.  Yes they do make an arm brace for the AK platform but as far as I know it "does not" attach to the pistol the same way.  Using the AK arm brace on your mini Draco is just fine but if you add the ACE adapter to the Draco along with a buffer tube (receiver extension) then you have modified the AR style arm brace to fit on a system that it was not designed for.

If you want to use the SIG Arm Brace why not use the one "made" for the AK system?

I could be very wrong but this makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#11]
didn't SIG pistol with SB15 have a buffer tube just so that SB15 could be attached?  I remember handling a SIG 556P at a show with SB15 attached.

ATF ruling, while seemingly arbitrary tend to have an evolutionary logic to it (sometime).

My understanding is that neither buffer no hinge mechanism are judged to be a stock so that it's OK to add to an AK pistol.

Quoted:

I am not so sure it is OK to add a receiver extension by way of an adapter to the AK platform pistol.  It "is" ok on an AR and the arm brace that fits on the extension was designed for the AR platform, not the AK platform.  Yes they do make an arm brace for the AK platform but as far as I know it "does not" attach to the pistol the same way.  Using the AK arm brace on your mini Draco is just fine but if you add the ACE adapter to the Draco along with a buffer tube (receiver extension) then you have modified the AR style arm brace to fit on a system that it was not designed for.

If you want to use the SIG Arm Brace why not use the one "made" for the AK system?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I may end up writing the ATF a letter asking if it is legal to install a AR15 pistol buffer tube onto an AK pistol. In theory the SB47 brace does just that except I hate the "under the grip" friction mount. Ideally I would like to add a stormwerkz universal carbine adapter, KAK buffer tube, and an SB15 brace. This is more expensive than the SB47 setup but I believe it would be a much better setup.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 12:47:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Check out this feller's PAP

http://www.thegunshowpodcast.com/index.php/86-zastava-pap-m92-ak-47-pistol-project
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 5:56:25 AM EDT
[#14]
This how I went about it, I didnt want to drill and I wanted more LOP and a higher cheekweld. This worked out great. I had tried out the SB47 set up and the LOP was a bit too short  and a bit too low for me.

Link Posted: 5/16/2014 7:41:04 AM EDT
[#15]
M92 with StormWerkz hinge
The brace is on a standard tube which I cut down, the brace can be positioned in like the pics or further out to suit the fit requirements of the shooter.

Link Posted: 5/16/2014 7:55:45 AM EDT
[#16]
The one thing that makes me nervous and stops me right now is that it has been illegal to drill and tap into the rear trunion and receiver unless you had approved form 1. The rules state that it cannot readily and easily acceot a stock , or something to that effect or am I mistaken?
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 8:10:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The one thing that makes me nervous and stops me right now is that it has been illegal to drill and tap into the rear trunion and receiver unless you had approved form 1. The rules state that it cannot readily and easily acceot a stock , or something to that effect or am I mistaken?
View Quote

Show me an actual ATF law stating that and you will have banned all ar-15 pistols.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah brother you are mistaken.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
M92 with StormWerkz hinge
The brace is on a standard tube which I cut down, the brace can be positioned in like the pics or further out to suit the fit requirements of the shooter.
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/josh54880/media/M92%20Pistol/DSCF4619.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/josh54880/M92%20Pistol/DSCF4619.jpg</a>
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/josh54880/media/M92%20Pistol/DSCF4622.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/josh54880/M92%20Pistol/DSCF4622.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice and clean looking installation.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Same plan I have for my M92, add an ACE folder adapter, AR pistol tube, and SB15 brace.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Same plan I have for my M92, add an ACE folder adapter, AR pistol tube, and SB15 brace.
View Quote

I like the way the Ace adapter looks and installs, seems solid. The only thing that kept me from going that route is the LOP.... too short unless I leave a 2.5" empty void in the rear of the pistolbrace
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 2:10:37 AM EDT
[#22]
you could always get the kak extended tube or cut the end off of the buffer tube and machine a matching aluminum bar with a step on it that would fit inside the current tube and extend it to exactly what you want.
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 5:16:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
you could always get the kak extended tube or cut the end off of the buffer tube and machine a matching aluminum bar with a step on it that would fit inside the current tube and extend it to exactly what you want.
View Quote

The 5.56 pistol has the KAK tube which is great but it still has a 1.5 gap at the end with the spacer. It is still a very solid set up, I may go that route with this PAP.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

As long as you have a legal configuration to put it in, you can't be charged with constructive possession.  There are BATF letters on the issue as well as a court case (Thompson Center Contender).  Basically, if you can assemble it in a legal fashion, it is considered legal.  

Now if you have it drilled/tapped, have the stock on hand and no other legal configuration parts (like the arm brace), that is when you may have a problem.  Because you don't have a legal configuration.

The ATF tried to have the Thompson Center Contender kit (came with both rifle & pistol configurations) ruled an SBR 'kit' because you could switch between a rifle and pistol set up.  The ATF said because the T/C Contender kit had both a rifle stock and pistol barrel, you had constructive possession of an SBR.  The court said no because it also had a rifle barrel & pistol grip included.  So, one could make it into a legal configuration (either a rifle or pistol).  The court stated that having the parts wasn't enough to make it an SBR as long as there was also the option of a legal configuration.  The same applies to an AK pistol with an arm brace.  This is court rulings, not ATF opinion letters (which can change).  So there is precedent for it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks everyone, glad i was wrong.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Brutus2,

What hinge do you have on your gun?  Is it the UTG one?  How do you like it?  Does it get in the way of your cheek when you shoot?
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top