Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2014 3:47:07 AM EDT
I'm just now reading through the info about these arm braces. I get they're legal to add to an AK pistol but, can I use buffertube setup like they use on the AR versions? Basically, can I use an AR adapter w/ a buffer tube and SIG brace?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:29:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm just now reading through the info about these arm braces. I get they're legal to add to an AK pistol but, can I use buffertube setup like they use on the AR versions? Basically, can I use an AR adapter w/ a buffer tube and SIG brace?
View Quote

I don't think so because you have no reason to add the buffer tube which obviously AR-15 pistols require to function.

There is this: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/09/09/century-arms-stabilizing-brace-ak-pistols/

The stock supports PAP M92 PV, PAP M85 PV, Draco and C39 pistols.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:34:59 AM EDT
[#2]
The Sig 556 doesn't require a buffer tube yet Sig sells the pistol with the brace on.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:18:44 AM EDT
[#3]
People are doing what the OP suggests, but its a fine line.

How about an AK pistol, plus folding hinge, plus AR adaptor, buffer tube and Sig brace?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:56:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How about an AK pistol, plus folding hinge, plus AR adaptor, buffer tube and Sig brace?
View Quote

I am starting to think these braces are going to get banned eventually. I don't want it to happen but wouldn't be surprised if it did.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I disagree.  It is not a fine line.  The arm brace is an arm brace regardless of if it is foldable or not.  Making it so does not magically transform it into a stock.  As was already stated, Sig sells a factory made pistol with buffer tube and arm brace that does not require a buffer tube for functionality.  The arm brace however DOES require a tube.  

I understand people are nervous but come on people.  How about a pistol with no brace and a carbine buffer on a LAW folder?  Perfectly legal as adding a folder does not transform something.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're overcomplicating it. SB47 brace plus usmachinegun.com folding adapter and you're gtg.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I disagree.  It is not a fine line.  The arm brace is an arm brace regardless of if it is foldable or not.  Making it so does not magically transform it into a stock.  As was already stated, Sig sells a factory made pistol with buffer tube and arm brace that does not require a buffer tube for functionality.  The arm brace however DOES require a tube.  

I understand people are nervous but come on people.  How about a pistol with no brace and a carbine buffer on a LAW folder?  Perfectly legal as adding a folder does not transform something.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I am starting to think these braces are going to get banned eventually. I don't want it to happen but wouldn't be surprised if it did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be an ultimate fuck you to Sig by BATFE
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd consider one if I can use an AR buffer tube adapter with a kak tube and SB15. I really hate the way the SB47 mounts, but like others I am a little worried about the legality of the entire setup.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. I also hate the way the SB47 mounts up. Adding a buffertube would add length. That's is why I'd rather have this setup on an AK.

True, a buffertube is required for an AR and not an AK but, if it's legal to use on an AR then why wouldn't the exact same setup be legal on the AK?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. I also hate the way the SB47 mounts up. Adding a buffertube would add length. That's is why I'd rather have this setup on an AK.
http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/catalog/product/P516-7IN-SB15-Detail-Hero.jpg

True, a buffertube is required for an AR and not an AK but, if it's legal to use on an AR then why wouldn't the exact same setup be legal on the AK?
View Quote

You answered your own question.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I hope the atf agrees with the answer.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#13]
If it wasn't ok Sig wouldn't sell this pistol.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:00:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I wonder if they could get you for "intent" if you drill/tap the receiver for a buffer tube adapter. Of course the AR pistol tube shouldn't be a grey area, but the mount could be.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#15]
A buffertube is not a stock its a receiver extension so other than adding a legal receiver extension to add a arm brace  what intent do you have ?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#16]
They did say using a product incorrectly doesn’t make it an SBR. Sow I would think using a incorrect buffer tube would be ok. I can see these becoming extinct.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I am more worried about getting busted for "intent" if I drill/tap my trunion for an AR buffer tube adapter, and then install a KAK tube/sb15.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#19]
The AK brace uses a buffer tube type round tube thingy  to mount teh brace.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:31:14 AM EDT
[#20]
All of you worried about "intent" have been misled in my opinion.  I k ow plenty out there like to throw around the term "constructive intent" which is a improper substitution for the actual term of "constructive POSSESSION".  

The litmus test for this is, do you have a legal use for the items in your possession or can they only be used to construct something illegal.  IF you had a carbine buffer tube attached for the purpose of installing a sb15 and ALSO owned a stock body that could be installed on the tube BUT DID NOT OWN another firearm in rifle configuration that COULD accept the stock body; THEN you would be in a bad spot.  IF however in the above scenario you owned for example a ar15 rifle that COULD accept the stock body, you are good.

I carry a gun every day.  If I also have a ski mask in my trunk and go to a bank do I have intent?  NO
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:50:11 AM EDT
[#21]

WOW!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Sigh

I was responding to the person who was talking about tapping their trunnion. I know what a buffertube is, obviously.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
All of you worried about "intent" have been misled in my opinion.  I k ow plenty out there like to throw around the term "constructive intent" which is a improper substitution for the actual term of "constructive POSSESSION".  

The litmus test for this is, do you have a legal use for the items in your possession or can they only be used to construct something illegal.  IF you had a carbine buffer tube attached for the purpose of installing a sb15 and ALSO owned a stock body that could be installed on the tube BUT DID NOT OWN another firearm in rifle configuration that COULD accept the stock body; THEN you would be in a bad spot.  IF however in the above scenario you owned for example a ar15 rifle that COULD accept the stock body, you are good.

I carry a gun every day.  If I also have a ski mask in my trunk and go to a bank do I have intent?  NO
View Quote

Exactly right. I've already ordered the parts for this setup. I own an AR, as well.  Remember though, we're talking about pistol buffer tubes. You can't add a stock to any of them, as far as I know. And in this specific situation, the KAK SB15 specific pistol buffertube is being used. I see no faults here at the time.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:28:38 PM EDT
[#24]
So what happens when we put one of these arm braces on a Glock, besides fun?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:43:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Well if you read the letter posted the atf dont give a flying fuck what you do with the parts :) They are not a stock so in no way count as a stock because they are not a stock.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:08:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Exactly right. I've already ordered the parts for this setup. I own an AR, as well.  Remember though, we're talking about pistol buffer tubes. You can't add a stock to any of them, as far as I know. And in this specific situation, the KAK SB15 specific pistol buffertube is being used. I see no faults here at the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is the exact setup I was going to try. Or I may scrap the pap and build an AR pistol.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:19:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If it wasn't ok Sig wouldn't sell this pistol.

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/catalog/product/P556-SWAT-SB15-Detail-Hero.jpg
View Quote
Funny, Sig must be playing it safe, because the one we received in the store only came with the AR pistol in the box. The "brace" arrived separately in it's own Sig marked box. So they want the "customer" to assemble the weapon. But yet the cutout in the styrofoam in the AR pistol box does allow the "brace" to fit. Knowing this, why doesn't Sig mount the "brace" onto the buffer tube? What is Sig worried about?  GARY
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:34:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Well if you read the letter posted the atf dont give a flying fuck what you do with the parts :) They are not a stock so in no way count as a stock because they are not a stock.
View Quote

Well, not only are they not a stock, they are not "in stock" either.  Good luck finding one.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:57:18 AM EDT
[#29]
I just got a tan one on ebay for 112 shipped and there are still a bunch avalable at the 120ish range.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Found a Sig brace on Amazon for $120. The Century SB47 is the version that's out of stock.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top